Flying to America with Kayaks

Inland paddling
Andy H

Flying to America with Kayaks

Post by Andy H » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi all

I am looking at going over to the US paddling later this year but struggling to find a Airline that takes Kayaks from the UK.

Can anybody suggest airlines that will take your boat

Cheers Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Nick_

Re: Flying to America with Kayaks

Post by Nick_ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Virgin take boats no problem and free of charge - but you have to fly Virgin...... (I do a lot of long haul and they're one of the worst airlines i've ever used) it is probably the easiest and cheapest bet though.

If you want a reasonably comfortable flight for a decent price i'd fly Air NZ, you're a bit limited though on airports as if you're doing Cali, it's LA only.
See you on the water!

RapidMediaTVGuy

Post by RapidMediaTVGuy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Not sure about flights from the UK but I know it's getting harder and harder to find an airline that will take a boat in North America. If at all possible have someone stay with you at the airport before leaving (in case you can't get it on they can take it home) and have a back up place to rent/borrow/buy in the US.

Good luck.

Dan C
Rapid Media TV Guy
We Paddle. We Care.
http://www.rapidmedia.com

KenHy

Post by KenHy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Virgin will take them,

US airways were good too I flew with them a year ago- $100 each way for all kayaking gear (and no talk it weighing them or anything) and that was end to end (so in my case 2 flights Heathrow-Phily-Charlotte), but I've heard they may have changed policy so maybe double check. 100 is a bit pricey, but worth it for the piece of mind that they will take it.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:03 pm

In the US is pretty easy to hire boats. In Cali we hired some from http://theriverstore.com/. Super helpful and straightforward.
It may work out cheaper than paying for a pricey flight where the extra cost of the flight costs more than the rental?
dave

KenHy

Post by KenHy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:06 pm

KenHy wrote: US airways were good too I flew with them a year ago- $100 each way for all kayaking gear (and no talk it weighing them or anything) and that was end to end (so in my case 2 flights Heathrow-Phily-Charlotte), but I've heard they may have changed policy so maybe double check. 100 is a bit pricey, but worth it for the piece of mind that they will take it.
Just looked them up and they are now looking $200 each way! maybe not so worthwhile at that type of price!
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/travelto ... items.html
Last edited by KenHy on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Nowt to add other than I use Virgin for windsurf trips and on the whole have found them pretty good and also took a surf kayak to Cape Town at Christmas no probs at all. In my experience, even if Virgin arent the best airline, flying with a company that has a very clear policy makes the whole process SO much less stressful.

Call me sad but I can even recite their baggage policy of the top of my head (!) but to keep it short you get 1 piece of sports eqpt up to 23kg free of charge and for a kayak that means up to 4.5m length !!!

Im sure you can Google the rest.

immunogirl

Post by immunogirl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

You can check the local craigslists or ebay & maybe just buy a used boat when you're over here and sell it on when you're done.

Ross M

Post by Ross M » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi,

Virgin are always a good bet, and reasonable. I used them when flying to do the Grand Canyon a few years ago and have booked to California later this year with Virgin.

Always good service

Ross

crb90

Post by crb90 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Andy,

I hope you are well. I used US Airways this summer- flying Glasgow- Seattle. No problems at all- boat was well over the weight limit too as had all my paddling and camping gear in it on the way home.

Craig

sarajames

Post by sarajames » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Buy a boat out there. 2nd hand boats go pretty dam cheap if you look around. Where in the states you starting?

Sara

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:09 pm

I know many people have said, but go with Virgin! When I flew back from the states they were so good with sporting baggage. They had no problem with me taking a kayak, paddles and two massive drybags cost:£0. On my 10H flight from Vegas to LGW, I had 4 seats to myself in economy! I had a decent sleep, despite being 6ft3. Can't fault their service at all.

crb90

Post by crb90 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:55 pm

or professor paddle.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:37 pm

US Airways will take them, at a per item fee, slightly more options than Virgin.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”