Planning A Trip Abroad

Inland paddling
Ieuan Belshaw

Planning A Trip Abroad

Post by Ieuan Belshaw » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Planning A Trip Abroad.

What things do we need to plan a long trip? (as I have no experience of one and this post might be useful to others on here).

Flights which take boats? + luggage weight?
Travel Insurance/kayaking insurance?/on & off the river? Does anyone know of good insurance companies for these?
Visa's?
Phone?
Vaccines?

Thanks in advance!
Ieuan :)

purelandexpeditions.com

Re: Planning A Trip Abroad

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Where are you going? this will answer the flight question/visa/phone and vaccine situation. Most cell phones work outside the UK, you can get pay as you go in some places with ease. Sat phone can be hired (we have them) as too can SPOTs or similar if needed.

Insurance has been discussed online for some time, snowcard, BMC etc

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Poke

Post by Poke » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm

The last two issues of CKUK have had a two part article on exactly that...
Written by my broken wee brother.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Cheers for the call Daz, big help.

Poke, I'll go find them & have a read.

Cheers!
Ieuan :)

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Loads of airlines fly boats, Easyjet are really good with them form experience though. Visas depend on where you're going - Not needed for Europe obv, Turkey you pay £10 or so on entry to the country. BMC and Dogtag are good for insurance. Phone should work in most places, although obviously potentially expensive. in Austria, and presumably the rest of Europe, it's easy to get a cheapo local PAYG simcard.

lofty276

Post by lofty276 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey Ieuan,
Emirates give you a 30kg limit as standard and will allow kayaks as sporting equipment as long as you tell them about it before you turn up at the airport. plus they aren't that much more expensive than other carriers that go out to NZ.

Rob

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:11 pm

I think for any single long distance trip it is worth doing a bit of research and asking around regarding the specific countries you intend to visit.

My eldest son is not renowned for good planning, when visiting Uganda he could buy a visa at the airport, I think this spoilt him. Canada didn’t seem to be a problem, he bought a visa before travelling. The recent ‘road trip’ down the west coast of Africa however caused him some difficulty. They bought a 4x4 for the journey, across Spain no prob, into Maroc, no prob, Western Sahara, OK. Mauritania looks something of war zone since the civil war, the Foreign Office are basically recommending you stay out. Senegal was OK with visas but they wouldn’t let them bring the vehicle in because it was more than 5 years old. How would you know this was a rule? Sierra Leone was difficult with visas, it would have been helpful to have obtained one before travelling.

When my youngest son had his passport stolen, that was quite difficult, he had to deal with the embassy in Senegal to give him emergency travel papers but this would only let him get straight back to UK. So he had to come back, get a new passport and driving licence and then go back to meet the others in Maroc.

I think it has been a very good learning experience for them and they are now somewhere a little more civilised for the remainder of their trip. Back at the end of the month will have made a 4 month holiday. They must be poor! I could never afford to do that.

kayakingcallum

Post by kayakingcallum » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Adrian out of interest where did he cross into Senegal? I travelled there last year on a moped to Gambia and for the senegaliese border guards to be ridiculously corrupt .they tried to fine us 2000€ each for not having carnais for the bikes . After an 8hour wait we negotiated it down to around 150€ each

Also I found that Mauritania felt perfectly friendly once the people realised we weren't french, i had one worrying conversation with a man in a new black BMW that looked a little worryingly gangsterish that was trying to get me to Admit I was French but everyone else I met there was very friendly
(this was a new BMW too , I'm a country where the average car seems to be a 1970 a merc)

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Sorry Callum, I don't have that detailed information but on the basis that they were travelling down the coast, I guess it must have been Rosso. They had to leave the 4x4 in a compound and cross the boarder on foot. I was convinced it would not be there on their return but it was.