Injury on 5* course

Inland paddling
Rdscott

Re: Injury on 5* course

Post by Rdscott »

David Fairweather wrote:
callum s wrote:Hi guys, heard a rumour from an unconnected random source that a paddling coach (or maybe just a kayaker, or could have been an ordinary non-kayaking bloke) might possibly, may have picked up a nasty STD recently?

Can anyone enlighten me and the random public on the nature of this?
Anyone know who this was?
How did they get it?
What was it?
What happened?
Was it their fault?
Was it kayak related?

Would love to know more about this as I feel it may be useful information for me to have so I can learn from his/her/nobody's misfortune.
Thanks.
I notice Parker hasn't been so quick to issue a denial for this one. Not saying anything, just saying...

THE NSR hasnt happened yet,just a few more weeks

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

What ridiculous and pompous responses. The guy just asked if anyone knew anything.

Hope the coach is okay.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

woodsy

Post by woodsy »

Relliott wrote: Rumours that could damage someones professional integrity, all based on rumours are not useful. Its unhealthy.
Its quite nice & loyal that you feel so protective of your boating mates, only wish my boating mates were the same. When I nearly managed to drown myself on middle force some years ago, I had 10 minutes on a 25 minute DVD devoted to it, without any footage of the incident.
But guys, I just asked a question, I didn't pass any judgements, only that I consider it strange if it has to be kept secret because the boater (hope they are ok) happened to be a coach.
Woodsy

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Which coach? Was there even a coach?

forestknights

Post by forestknights »

A coach broke down? Best call the AA.
Know the wisdom of patience during times of inactivity.

www.forestknights.co.uk

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Ha. Pompous. I haven't even started being pompous yet.

Matron sorted Andrew's problem with the wirebrush and some turps. (not Turnips)

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

Mark R wrote:What ridiculous and pompous responses. The guy just asked if anyone knew anything.

Hope the coach is okay.
I have to disagree Mark, the post was just someone being nosey.
If he had a little more information it MIGHT have been a worthwhile question but "Some guy in a local outdoor shop mentioned that someone (the course director?) had injured their back on a 5* course last weekend." is just none of his or anyone elses business unless they were involved.
The "someone" might have slipped on rocks, picked up his boat wrong, boofed onto rocks or done absolutely nothing to his back.
Some of the responces might have been a bit silly but so was the OP

kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Group hug Gentlemen - Group Hug!

callum s

Post by callum s »

kevinf wrote:Group hug Gentlemen - Group Hug!

That's exactly the sort of behaviour that could land you with a bad case of "Galloping knob rot"...

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

I really hope we get some rain soon. There seems to be a significant case of cabin fever setting in judging by some of the recent posts on here (in general - not just this thread)

woodsy

Post by woodsy »

wezzzy wrote:
Mark R wrote:What ridiculous and pompous responses. The guy just asked if anyone knew anything.

Hope the coach is okay.
I have to disagree Mark, the post was just someone being nosey.
If he had a little more information it MIGHT have been a worthwhile question but "Some guy in a local outdoor shop mentioned that someone (the course director?) had injured their back on a 5* course last weekend." is just none of his or anyone elses business
The "someone" might have slipped on rocks, picked up his boat wrong, boofed onto rocks or done absolutely nothing to his back.
Some of the responces might have been a bit silly but so was the OP
Well I did say I would let it rest, on the grounds that one or two of you were sticking up for a mate & I could appreciate that. but the thread continues to roll so...
- nosey would be a person interfering with something or someone to which they had no connection -clearly this is not the case, I am a boater, involved in the paddling community, which is why someone had the conversation with me in the first place.
- The replies, along the lines of 'I'm a coach & I am wearing my girlfriends panties today, do you want to know what colour'? are ridiculous also, but that could be because my original question was deliberately low key. What I was actually told was 'a kayak coach broke their back running a waterfall whilst running a 5* assessment'.
- professional integrity, I fail to see how this relates to my question at all, please explain.
Thanks
Woodsy

StephMoss

Post by StephMoss »

Hey Woodsy,

not related to this incident but a friend of mine broke their back a couple of years ago on an 8m waterfall. They boofed too much, landed flat & wasn't in airiated water. Now made a full recovery & kayaks just as before.

Posting not to spread gossip, or jump on the bank wagon, but learned to appreciate a few things from this which I'm sure my nameless friend would be happy to help someone else avoid:
- don't boof flat from so high
- where possible make sure landing is in airiated area of water
- work on body core & back exercises for strengthening
- learn forwards (rather than upright & back) when landing

Simple stuff I knew beforehand, but like with many lessons in life, didn't fully appreciate/respect the consequences until I knew of someone it happened to.

In the name of prevention, I hope this is useful.

S

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

Steph, maybe interesting to show your mate. http://theadrenalinerush.blogspot.com/2 ... falls.html

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold »

Hope the coach is okay.
Sorry Mark, but this does smell a little of hipocracy. There have been several times on this forum where someone who doesn't know any of the facts has trawled on this forum for more news of an accident, only to be told (rightfully) by yourself to basically mind your own business until the party involved choose to post about it. This I believe is one of those situations.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”