Games for kayaking in a swimming pool ??

Inland paddling
scottdog007

Games for kayaking in a swimming pool ??

Post by scottdog007 »

I'm getting involved with a club that is doing loads of pool sessions for young people so from 8 -17 years old. They will do 1 hour a week and 10 sessions. We obviously teach them paddle strokes, rolling etc, but need to add fun to the sessions. So adding in some games, for example rafting up, 2 people getting out their boats and walking across and swapping seats without falling into the water.

We need to vary the games from week to week to stop it getting too manotonus, so are there any suggestions for other games we can give to them? So I would appreciate any ideas for some fun games. We are struggling to think of any.

Ah can be in canoes as well.

mattdennies

Re: Games for kayaking in a swimming pool ??

Post by mattdennies »

Jousting.
Polo.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Swamped boats
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

andrew butler 101

Post by andrew butler 101 »

nutterboy

Post by nutterboy »

T's only really works in reasonably short boats.

@mattdennies, what's jousting consist of?
temperature is a state of mind

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

I can't sleep tonight, so here goes...

Polo, tig, stuck in the mud, piggy in the middle, protect the president (capture the bomb or whatever...), bulldog, last man standing, swamped boats (or hiding in the air pocket of an upside down boat), any possible kind of race you can think of ( end of the pool, 360 using sweep strokes, paddle to the start using backwards strokes), Simon Says, whats the time Mr Wolf? ", Gunnel Bobbing, how many people does it take to sink an open boat? Open boat tug of war. Then there's the games for learning sweep strokes like "t bone*" and "clock faces."

*I've never really liked using "T bone" with younger children, but if you get a really competitive group of teenagers, it's pretty funny to watch.

All the above, without a paddle.

Then there's all the raft games you can think of - swap places, race round the ends, kiss the nose of the boat, stand up and salute, "five star" (get them to do daft challenges to get their 5 star), "Fruit Salad" -tell a story and get them to jump up when they hear their item. More of a bellboat game, but could work.

Most playground games work well in boats, with a bit of lateral thinking. You can bend the rules mid game if it starts to go stale - "you can only hold on to the ball for 3 seconds," "everyone must have a touch before you can score" or "if you pass backwards, posession goes to the other team" makes things harder. I usually get the kids to tap three times on the front/back of a boat to "tig" someone, but you could substitute that for hitting another boat with a ball, if you think they'll brain each other. Also, if you're not using polo helmets, it may be worth telling them that they can only throw a ball, not hit it, to save on losing teeth! Lastly, if you teach the eskimo rescue early on (if they're using decks) you can keep up the pace of games like polo, without having to stop for a swimmer.

Just be aware of the sides of the pool and the depth of the water. I nearly face planted the side of the pool a few weeks back when I messed up a cartwheel, but thats another story!

I shouldn't worry about it getting boring. When I was learning, I'd happily spend a 45 minute session paddling around in a swamped boat :) I hope this helps!
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

NPearce

Post by NPearce »

A few more for your list:
* Seat swapping races whilst in a raft, one across the front and one across the back,
* Heads shoulders knees and toes, get them standing up & doing the actions whilst they all sing loud, Great for getting complaints from other users which is an incentive to go louder!
* Grand old duke of York, as above but with marching and jumping - also highly amusing for adults
* Bond's Crocodile run, start on the poolside and see how many upturned boats they can make it across
* Underwater races, breathe inside the boat and a length / width of the pool (great for a quiet last 5 minutes)
* If you are in a pool with swimming lessons equipment then throwing 50 swinboard floats into the pool and getting them to stack & balance 10/20 on the bow each can be interesting, very easy to start with :)

As said above, many kids will have fun anyway, I cannot remember the number of times my 'games time' has deteriorated into 8 kids in swamped boats just trying to keep them balanced...

There are a few books out
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... iversguide
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... iversguide
Both have loads of ideas that with a little tweaking and adjustment open up a load of fun in the pool.

Nathan

*Book links tweaked to donate to UKRGB

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

Many thanks for the feedback.

garya

Post by garya »

I have a copy of canoe games by dave ruse you can borrow. (its an orginal first edition)

Crocodile bridge ( like the james bond crcodile run using boats)
swimfloat roundup ( small teams lots of things that float, only allowed collet one thing and bring it back to the bucket to extend the game time)
overand under assualt course (they alternalty swim over and under boats)
Bulldog push over (play this withways in the pool so they dont get too tired using only hands too propel the boats. if you get pushed over and can't roll up you are out. They can keep a swimfloat handy to help with the roll if they are learning)

I have loads more great games to try...

Safety points

* If you think they are going to smack easch other with paddles, make the games hands only, this is safer for some contact games
* Reduce the area or use with the pool widthwise to prevent them getting tired with chase games
* Watch the sides if they are standing up in boats or rolling , have spotters to preventthem hitting there heads
* Sitting in a boat with legs over the side or on the back deck hlps if people are nervouse of getting trapped as they can just fall off to boat

Gary A

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

Thanks.

I'm going to order the 'Games book' doesn't cost a lot so probably worth it.

One thing that did worry me especially while playing games and will come in when we start rolling, is going over in the boat near the sides and hitting the head, very easy to do and could be nasty. I think we need to remind the students to be careful of this happening to them and to stay away from the sides, plus asking the coaches / helpers to watch out for this. Yep good one.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Um, wear BAs and helmets?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

TechnoEngineer wrote:Um, wear BAs and helmets?
Yep true, and we are planned to bring these into use. Guess at the moment we are acclimatizing them to get use to boats and paddle first, then decks and eventually helmets and BA's.

mattdennies

Post by mattdennies »

nutterboy wrote:T's only really works in reasonably short boats.

@mattdennies, what's jousting consist of?
Sit on the back of the boat, just behind the cockpit with your feet either dangling eachside of the cockpit or inside the cockpit. Put some foam or a b.a on one of the kayak paddle blades. Then get two people to charge at eachother and try and knock eachother off.

To make it safer, wear a helmet and body shots only.

nutterboy

Post by nutterboy »

Sounds pretty good fun. Will need to try that next time at the pool :)
temperature is a state of mind

Jim_MWX

Post by Jim_MWX »

scottdog007 wrote:
TechnoEngineer wrote:Um, wear BAs and helmets?
Yep true, and we are planned to bring these into use. Guess at the moment we are acclimatizing them to get use to boats and paddle first, then decks and eventually helmets and BA's.
I would recommend the youngsters and adults are made to wear B.A's and Helmets from the go. I say this with experience of running game sessions in swimming pools. People get into the heat of the moment and paddles are flying everywhere - you get the idea.

We run to finish the sessions a simple game where you upturn a load of kayaks into a makeshift pontoon, get them to run along and most innovative dive wins! Definitely Helmets on this one - once someone slipped while running and hoofed me in the head!, glad I had a helmet on then.

All the games I know have already been mentioned.
Pro Photographer -www.jimsnape.co.uk
@mountainworx

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”