Inventions

Post by Mark R »

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Simon

Re: Inventions

Post by Simon »

What - No Sponsons!

(Sorry, only people that have been around for about 15 years will understand)

Simon

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

Simon dont joke as sponsons save lives! !! :-).

chrism

Post by chrism »

Some not so weird in there. Isn't the breathing air in your boat idea something which often comes up as a serious idea on here, and wouldn't it save lives if such a system could be made to work? Also the pressurised bladder in the boat is simply a Bikestream mounted in a boat - I still have all the bits for one of those somewhere, so maybe I should give it a go sometime (already have a hole in the deck and fittings for a conventional bladder in the boat).

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150316270227889

Here's one of my own. designed to teach people how to seal launch from further up. the bungees can be adjusted to change the angle of the drop.
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

morsey

Post by morsey »

Canoeing off a table! That has to be a first descent!

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

The first idea is the one I was suggesting a few weeks ago when someone was coming up with an air supply coming from a tube going down into your boat. I suggested why not have a tube like a straw going into the boat so when you are upside down you lean forward and get a supply of air.

Why on earth someone whould think of patenting it, I wouldn't have thought you would recover the cost of paying for the patent. Weird but interesting.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

scottdog007 wrote:The first idea is the one I was suggesting a few weeks ago when someone was coming up with an air supply coming from a tube going down into your boat. I suggested why not have a tube like a straw going into the boat so when you are upside down you lean forward and get a supply of air.

Why on earth someone whould think of patenting it, I wouldn't have thought you would recover the cost of paying for the patent. Weird but interesting.
But it doesn't work - try it next time you go to a pool session. The water pressure on your lungs means that you can't breath through the tube normally - you have to really work your chest muscles to pump the air and that is very exhausting. If you curl up to the deck it is a little easier but hanging vertically down it is very hard - or was when I was 15 years old!

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

Dave Manby wrote:
scottdog007 wrote:The first idea is the one I was suggesting a few weeks ago when someone was coming up with an air supply coming from a tube going down into your boat. I suggested why not have a tube like a straw going into the boat so when you are upside down you lean forward and get a supply of air.

But it doesn't work - try it next time you go to a pool session. The water pressure on your lungs means that you can't breath through the tube normally - you have to really work your chest muscles to pump the air and that is very exhausting. If you curl up to the deck it is a little easier but hanging vertically down it is very hard - or was when I was 15 years old!
Ah was only a thought. I never thought of it as a serious idea. Even if it did work, would it be used? Upside down in the boat thinking 'oh lets take a breath through the tube'. Really your mind is probably thinking about either rolling or pulling the deck.

But you never know out of stupid ideas often come good ones.

Bob Flanagan III

Post by Bob Flanagan III »

I am in the process of building prototypes for a kayaking invention.

Has anyone got any ideas how to go about getting it manufactured as I would really like to go into partnership with an existing Kayaking company who are more likely to have manufacturing tools already in place as well as supplier networks etc.

Ideally, I wouldn't want to sell the idea to them but really let them carry out the paperwork etc for registering a patent and then work as partners for the idea.

How do I go about demonstrating the item without then having my idea ripped off if the manufacturing firm then claim they don't want to progress with my idea?

Has anyone got any previous experience and what sort of profit percentage could I possible be looking at once the manufacturing cost have been taken out?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

Bob Flanagan III wrote:I am in the process of building prototypes for a kayaking invention.

Has anyone got any ideas how to go about getting it manufactured as I would really like to go into partnership with an existing Kayaking company who are more likely to have manufacturing tools already in place as well as supplier networks etc.
Be careful the idea hasn't already been thought of and a patent taken out by someone. A close friend of mine had a great idea, he did all the design, packaging and marketing, then started to manufacture as well. After 6 months of a successfully selling it, a guy turned up outside his house in a big expensive car and told him he owned the patent and my mate was infringing it.

This guy said he wanted massive amount of money from him, but said he wasn't going to take it now but in a few years time after he has taken him through the courts and wiped him out of all his money. And that is what he did. My mate almost lost his house over it. And the product was a kids toy, a kind of pogo stick.

After that experience my mate spends £10,000 getting someone to do searches for patents and putting his patents through.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”