NHS ear plugs

Inland paddling
HarryWats0n

NHS ear plugs

Post by HarryWats0n » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Today I went to the doctors for the first time in a few years. After seeing various threads on here about the problems of swimmers ear, I decided to get some ear plugs made up. I explained my situation, i'm a paddler etc etc, and that my father is waiting to have his second ear OP, on the NHS because of swimmers ear problems. I asked if it would be possible for an ENT refferal to get some made up.

He said that,

- there is absolutely no way they would ever do that
- It's against his guidelines with them
- they are only re-active instead of pro-active
- If he did that, then he would get a letter of complaint from them

I explained that I had seen multiple people on a kayak forum (Ie here) get free plugs through the NHS. He said that I should 'send a message to them to tell them that that's not what happens'.

What i'm asking is: Has anyone else got plugs made up WITHOUT any previous problems from their ears at the time. OR, Am I just being a numpty?

Now, I know I could go through a hearing aid shop and PAY for them to be made up. I would be happy to pay for them from the NHS. But If I CAN get them without paying...

slaughter950

Re: NHS ear plugs

Post by slaughter950 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 pm

I asked my GP the other month, she did some research and sent me a letter today saying that you can get them, but not as a preventative. I think its a bit stupid really!
Adam Slaughter.

SDG

Post by SDG » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Thread about this issue in Yorkshire:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =3&t=83989

Up here you can get NHS moulded plugs without already having serious ear problems (just minor ones!) - but you have to pay for them. The difficulty is getting your GP to refer you. Once you have a GP referral to your audiology unit you are away.

Good luck!

Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:32 pm

I went to the doctors, told them that I wanted a referral to Audiology for swimmers plugs. My GP had to check, as she wasn't sure. She got back in touch a couple of a days later. Turns out that she referred me to ENT, went to ENT consultant told me I should have been sent to Audiology and got a nurse to take me straight over to them, so that I didn't need to come back. 2 pairs ordered and delivered 1 week later and one bill for £30 about 1 month later.

Audiology told me to contact them if I wanted any more making.

My advice try ringing your local Audiology department and see what they say and bypass your doctor if possible.
Supported by : Team Pyranha | PeakUK

lou

Post by lou » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 pm

I got some made and the referral from the GP was easy. However, the consultant was a fisherman and told me so, also commenting that if I stuck to lakes I wouldn't need any! Very unprofessional I thought. I did get them free, but he did say that if I hadn't had some problems in the past, I'd have to pay.

Try going direct to ENT or Audiology at your local hospital.

Don't give up!

Lou

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:13 am

HarryWats0n wrote:Today I went to the doctors for the first time in a few years. After seeing various threads on here about the problems of swimmers ear, I decided to get some ear plugs made up. I explained my situation, I'm a paddler etc etc, and that my father is waiting to have his second ear OP, on the NHS because of swimmers ear problems.
It's a small point (and obviously I know nothing of your father's particular complaint) but the majority of threads on here are about surfers ear http://www.faldoc.co.uk/surfers_ear.htm rather than swimmers ear http://www.emedicinehealth.com/swimmers ... cle_em.htm.
Again I have no idea if this will budge your GP one iota but you never know.
Good luck anyway.
Giles
(Having my 2nd ear drilled for surfers ear this Tuesday coming. Oh what fun.....)

eeonz

Post by eeonz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 pm

I didn't have any problem getting them on the NHS, by phoning the ENT clinic directly. Will be doing this again shortly, as I've managed to break the leash on both of the sets that I own :(
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

denchy1

Post by denchy1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 am

Yep, went to the Gp he said he would ask ENT, the consult said it maid sense to be proactive and save the NHS the inevitible bills in the future, and sent me straight of for a set, while I was having the moulds done I enquired about a second set and leashes and the tech said that made sense and ordered me some. All for free on Norfolk NHS.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Wish I'd done that :-)
(Currently sitting in a hospital bed feeling very woozy and wobbly with a large comedy bandage round my head having come round about an hour ago).
Giles

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks guys, will try and phone the ENT Dept, and see what they say. Hope the op was a success!

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 pm

Randy Fandango wrote:Wish I'd done that :-)
(Currently sitting in a hospital bed feeling very woozy and wobbly with a large comedy bandage round my head having come round about an hour ago).
Giles
Good luck Giles, hope it goes OK.

I now have one ear done and healed up OK and waiting for an op-date for the other.

Agreed that ear plugs are the better option - denchy1 must have very wise ENT consultant.

Simon

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Just been for a plug fitting as my old set weren't fitting so well. Left ear almost totally closed, right ear 2/3 closed. Hope the op went well, Giles...

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Oh, and while I think about it I'd love to sort out fittings for custom earplugs at the Dee River Festival in March. Anyone got any ideas of a company or fitter who'd be keen to come up for the weekend?

Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Pete C. wrote:Oh, and while I think about it I'd love to sort out fittings for custom earplugs at the Dee River Festival in March. Anyone got any ideas of a company or fitter who'd be keen to come up for the weekend?
You could try your local hearing aid shop? I think that the White Water Centre in Cardiff managed to get someone to come to one of their weekends.
Supported by : Team Pyranha | PeakUK

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Paul Smith wrote:You could try your local hearing aid shop? I think that the White Water Centre in Cardiff managed to get someone to come to one of their weekends.
That's where I remember it from! If anyone has any useful contacts then please let me know, otherwise I'll do some ringing around...

P.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Cheers guys -- seems to have gone fine although this time they've had to do a small skin graft from above my ear to replace/help the remaining skin in my ear canal.
Right at this moment I feel that I'm probably the single most authoritative person on here (in the world??) on this subject so I can say:
Get a pair of earplugs!! By all means blag them for free but if that's not an option then pay for them!! Pay lots for them!!!
My anaesthetic is starting to wear off.... :-/
Giles

Toe Mouse

Post by Toe Mouse » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Randy Fandango wrote:Cheers guys -- seems to have gone fine although this time they've had to do a small skin graft from above my ear to replace/help the remaining skin in my ear canal.
Right at this moment I feel that I'm probably the single most authoritative person on here (in the world??) on this subject so I can say:
Get a pair of earplugs!! By all means blag them for free but if that's not an option then pay for them!! Pay lots for them!!!
My anaesthetic is starting to wear off.... :-/
Giles

Would the looking forward like a hole in the head joke work hear also??
Oh I'm sorry, but... Wouldn't expect anything less right? ;-)

Toe Mouse

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Aah yes Toe Mouse -- the inevitable humourist.
You're a very funny man.........
.......to look at! :-)
But then again, today so am I....
Giles :-)

Toe Mouse

Post by Toe Mouse » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Well I did ring you to see how it was going but you didn't answer, maybe you didn't hear your phone ring....... ;-)

Toe Mouse.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”