Places to paddle across the UK

Inland paddling
bongoben

Places to paddle across the UK

Post by bongoben »

My job involves lots of travelling and staying over in different parts of the country. During spring and summer I will always have my kayak on top of the car for a paddle at the end of the day. I have found it frustrating trying to find exactly where to launch when staying in a new place - so I have created PaddlePoints. A website where people can plot on a map where they launch their kayaks.Its been live for a couple of weeks now and nearly three hundred points have been added.

In addition to launch points, you can plot rapids, weirs, locks, car parks and general information about the water which might be useful to other paddlers.

Using Google Maps, you can zoom right in to see exactly what you are looking for in either satellite or street map view

You are able to write a brief description, and also enter useful links - for example, link back to a blog or thread on this site for more information.

If you think this could be useful, please visit http://www.paddlepoints.co.uk, create a free account, and plot away!

jriddell

Re: Places to paddle across the UK

Post by jriddell »

It's a lot like what we want to achieve with OpenWhitewaterMaps
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.p ... water_Maps

The upside of yours is a friendly editor and complete satellite images. The downside is the maps do not highlight rivers and sometimes do not show them, while satellite images can be hard to know what you are looking at. Also the end result is restricted by copyright so it can not be copied to anywhere.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Good idea, but when I view the map none of the paddlepoints appear.

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

Typical - there seems to be a problem on the server. I will get it sorted straight away. Its been running for weeks without a problem.

Thanks for looking.

Ben

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

Back up and running and a little bit embarrassed!

Ben

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Excellent, works well now. Looks like it could be a really useful resource. Very easy to use, and if people add their clubs it could be really handy for newcomers to find clubs close to them at a fast glance. I like the speed at which launch points and car parking can be homed in on. Good work!

markg

Post by markg »

Seems a good resource. I found it easier to start without the satelite option and then when I got my bearings go to satelite. Great for zooming in on local landmarks.

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- »

So its essentially what xsportmap.com did a while back but only for kayaking??

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

So its essentially what xsportmap.com did a while back but only for kayaking??
Looks like it provides a totally different service to Xsportmap. This new map shows the features of the river, places to get on, playable weirs etc.

I know you are involved in Xsportmap, but Xsport looks like it shows different places to do activities (ie centres and perhaps cycle route) rather than the specifics of play weirs, individual rapids, carparking etc which the new map shows? Both have their uses, but for kayaking I think I'm going to find the Paddle Points map really useful since I get tired of having to look through river guides and then manually try to correspond the places mentioned on Google Maps etc. Eith Paddle Points it can potentially show the places really quickly, and I can also scan my local area and see at a glance specific features (ie weirs) to visit.

Sorry if I may have misunderstood what Xsportmap is doing, but I think all new stuff like this is good. There's room for everyone.

NPearce

Post by NPearce »

A few years ago I completed a large number of TomTom POI files for a load of rivers, these, with a load of data from other paddlers on here, were transferred to:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 7db09baab3
with similar intentions to the OP, feel free to use the KML files to import these if they are useful in any way. I have not had the time to sift though them, add icons etc.

Page 4 of the maps points highlights more what we were looking to do, varying colors / symbols with meeting places, relevant campsites / bunkhouses, path overlays for rivers etc.

Nathan

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

NPearce wrote:A few years ago I completed a large number of TomTom POI files for a load of rivers, these, with a load of data from other paddlers on here, were transferred to:
with similar intentions to the OP, feel free to use the KML files to import these if they are useful in any way. I have not had the time to sift though them, add icons etc.

Page 4 of the maps points highlights more what we were looking to do, varying colors / symbols with meeting places, relevant campsites / bunkhouses, path overlays for rivers etc.

Nathan
Many thanks Nathan - I will take a look

Ben

mattdennies

Post by mattdennies »

Really good idea, I think this could be so so useful.
The negative thing I could think of is maybe a link to seeing the whole of Britain so you can have a view of where everything is rather than having to search for something first. Unless i'm missing something?

A lot of points needeed to be added to Scotland, if you can do something with the ukrgb project Nathan has made then that will boost the Scottish rivers considerably.

Real good work,
Matt

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

NPearce wrote:A few years ago I completed a large number of TomTom POI files for a load of rivers, these, with a load of data from other paddlers on here, were transferred to:

Nathan
Good effort with this, but have you tried to click the first link (Aray - Access Road) and zoom in on it?

NPearce

Post by NPearce »

Never said they were all perfect :P, Its a lot of work to go through them all, plus the original tomtom files didn't like being converted. I may take another look at some point and see if there are any updated converters since 2008 that will allow a little more accuracy.

As for the Aray Access Road - you would have an interesting paddle trip just to get there!

Nathan

Poke

Post by Poke »

SimonMW wrote:but for kayaking I think I'm going to find the Paddle Points map really useful since I get tired of having to look through river guides and then manually try to correspond the places mentioned on Google Maps etc. Eith Paddle Points it can potentially show the places really quickly, and I can also scan my local area and see at a glance specific features (ie weirs) to visit.
Rainchasers has this functionality... eg. for north wales: http://rainchasers.com/region/north-wales

Also, the search function allows you to do this... i.e. search for "grade 3 near betws-y-coed" and it'll return a list of grade 3's near Betws ordered by distance (with the option to display them on a map).

What it doesn't have yet is specific parking spots and the like, which would be useful.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

NPearce wrote:Never said they were all perfect :P, Its a lot of work to go through them all, plus the original tomtom files didn't like being converted. I may take another look at some point and see if there are any updated converters since 2008 that will allow a little more accuracy.

As for the Aray Access Road - you would have an interesting paddle trip just to get there!

Nathan
I was actually quite relieved to see the Aray point where it was (and the Lugar points) cos it means I've already got, and been through, the file that you used, which has the same couple of mistakes! The file I've got is called River_Access_Scotland.xls

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

An update on this site.
  • You can now view an Ordnance Survey Map side by side the Google Map
  • You can now add riverside pubs/cafes/campsites
  • You can now add routes for trip planning and sharing
The routes can either be uploaded using KML files, or created directly on the map. They can be marked as public (available for everyone to see), or private for your own personal cache of routes. Example : http://www.paddlepoints.co.uk?R=27&A=5383

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey »

Hi folks,

There are now over 1000 Paddle Points on the site, thanks to the efforts of many paddlers. Ben has now roped in a helper, me, so I'm adding stuff fairly regularly, but its the efforts of others that will make the biggest difference.

You can now add River Levels live feed, by linking in to the EA website. I have started doing these for some rivers (Wye, Usk, Monnow, Severn, Avon (Warwks), Avon (Bath), Frome, some Thames, Great Ouse, Trent, Suffolk Stour, Dee and a few others). It means this is a quick and easy way to check river levels for an area, try it out - Dee example (click the green "gauge" icons): http://www.paddlepoints.co.uk/PaddlePoi ... ion=corwen

You can also record your routes on here in map and text form, either to share or for your own needs.

Feedback is very welcome!

Mal

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

An update on this site.

If you paddle on the sea or tidal rivers, you can now show tide markers. They are not switched on by default, so use the option on the left of the map. This will show tide markers all around the UK and Ireland. Clicking the markers will give tide information.

You can also switch on the weather icons - so you will see the current weather in the area you are looking at. Clicking on the icon will show you a bit more detail including wind speed and direction, as well as the forecast for the next few days.

Hope its of use.

http://www.paddlepoints.co.uk

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

Apologies to anyone who experienced problems with Paddle Points last weekend. We had to move servers at short notice.

After a few teething problems on the new server, we are now running smoothly, and hopefully, more reliably.

morsey

Post by morsey »

You might want to edit the Brecon weir info for the river Usk.

You are not supposed to paddle down the fish shoot on the river right of the weir, the rest of the weir is navigable depending on water levels and ability. To experienced paddlers the weir is fairly intuitive. If you lack the experience to assess whether to paddle it or not, there is a easy portage point river right, next to the weir.

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

Thanks - I have added a comment.
http://www.paddlepoints.co.uk?PP=313

morsey

Post by morsey »

I'd edit the original text if it was me, it is a bit OTT.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

I'm in the media, Morsey. It's my job to make things OTT ;-)

morsey

Post by morsey »

Haha!! Media 10% fact, 90% Glam it right up!! ;-)

There is total lunacy going on at Brecon Promenade at the moment. And, people think the sign on the Dart is BS. The ugly stick WUF sign, with all their pony, is still awaiting the BBNP planning violation removal. BBNP have themselves added a big sign, gives some info for canoeing on the river and canal and carries the WUF BS claims of control of navigation. Two BS Signs. But wait, Powys council feel they are missing out on this sign writing game and have erected their own sign! Which says 'Read the BBNP sign'. Yep that's right a sign to direct you to another sign. Temptation to erect a "Loud noises" sign is quite high.

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

If you're looking for a second hand kayak, take a look at our new feature. We have been given access to the Preloved Canoe and Kayak section. Similar to how Paddle Points works, we have plotted the locations of all of their stuff for sale, directly on the map.

On the basis that most people aren't always looking for second hand boats, these ads will not show by default. Instead, click the For Sale on Preloved feature on the left of the Screen. The Paddle Points will clear, and you will be shown icons for canoe/kayaks for sale and wanted. On the left you will see anything for sale within 100 miles of the centre of the map. If you can't see anything to start with, just zoom the map out a bit.

For security, the locations of the markers are approximate.

Image - For Sale

Image - Wanted

Hope this is of use to some of you.

http://www.paddlepoints.co.uk

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

bongoben wrote:If you're looking for a second hand kayak, take a look at our new feature.
Or you could just click here... http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... m.php?f=10

Random and unsorted, but it seems to do the job.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

A few Paddle Points Updates.
  • Launch spots, weirs, slalom and rapid points can now be flagged as play spots. This can either be done while entering a paddle point, or using the Make Play Spot option while viewing a paddle point. Play spots are then indicated by a wave in the bottom left of the map marker
  • You can now filter what type of paddle points you see on the map. Use the filter option to the left of the map
  • Users have started adding Paddle Points and routes in Europe. I have changed the domain name to http://www.paddlepoints.net. Old links to .co.uk will still work however.
Hopefully, these new features will be of use to some of you.

http://www.paddlepoints.net

bongoben

Post by bongoben »

Paddle Points Update : PIMs

Paddle Points has a new feature called Personal Interest Markers (PIMs). This allows paddlers to stick a marker on the map in an area of interest to them. No one else will see these markers, and you can delete them at any time.

When you add one, you need to choose a mileage radius. For example, if you enter a PIM near where you live with a radius of 30 miles,, any new paddle points entered within 30 miles of this mark will generate an email alert for you. This could be new places to paddle, events or hazards. You can add as many PIMs as you like.

To add a PIM, choose Add to Map on the map screen, drag the green marker to the location. The details screen will then display and you can choose Personal Interest Marker.

http://www.paddlepoints.net
http://www.facebook.com/paddlepoints

chrissloan

Post by chrissloan »

A few more get on and off points from my satnav and trip planning google map. Sort of colour coded green = beginner, yellow = intermediate, red = hard, but I wouldn't rely on the colour coding too much. The locations should be accurate though.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 0ooQpeZdok

Also the same points are here in TomTom format

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... yakmap.zip

There are some that are not on paddle points or the previous google map. You're welcome to add them to your site if you like.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”