Which kit - scouts grant application

Inland paddling
dpround

Which kit - scouts grant application

Post by dpround » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Which kit should I put on the grant application? I need kit that is tough, easily adjustable to a wide range of sizes, mainly small and that does its job properly. Helmets are usually a pain, a faf to adjust and then they rarely fit as well as I would like. Shred ready standard and WRSi were recommended, but how well would they fit kid's heads? Northshore have a Predator centre helmet that is available in two sizes and a bit cheaper to boot...

Buoyancy aids are often poor too. I was just going to go for the Nookie rivermonster - just because I have one and like it, but the smallest size is S/M, which will be too big for some and new they cost a fortune new! How about the Peak Centre Pro? Perhaps the Nookie Centre buoyancy aid?

Wetsuits - Lomo Hurricane 2 CX? I have generally found Lomo wetsuits do the job and are not too much of a battle.

Cags? How about the Nookie centre cag?

Thanks for any help

David

DanJ

Re: Which kit - scouts grant application

Post by DanJ » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:36 pm

It would proabbly help if you gave a bit more info on what type use you want for the kit and maybe how much your grant is you would get more useful suggestions...

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Have a look at what centres are using - this will have the robustness, right price and will meet safety needs/regs. Then you will not be paying to join the fashinisatas.

Relliott

Post by Relliott » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Give surf-lines Llanberis a shout! As well as having an outdoor centre they run a shop. I know that they have dealt with Scout groups and Grants before. They will provide you with all the info on the perfect kit for your needs and budget as well giving you a good discount based on the amount you spend.

Cheers,

Roo.

dpround

Post by dpround » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 pm

The maximum grant is £1500 and I am looking to get 12 sets of helmets, buoyancy aids, wetsuits and cags so that hopefully I can equip any 8 Scouts.

Sadly paddles, boats etc will have to wait. I'm £600 over as it stands! Luckily I have a few boats personally...

All the best

David

teddy_simmon

Post by teddy_simmon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Hiya my two pennys worth is:

Helmets: General centre spec kit such as the yak contour of ap2000's are pretty good and have various pads and different sizes (personally we use a mixture of small and large contours)

Buoyancy Aids: Yak Kalistas are good for small people my current favourites are the crewsaver centre zips most companys do a centre zip buoyancy aid

Cags and wetusits: Many companys do a decent centre cag nowadays i think the standard of these depends on what you are doing and at what time of year, having worked in centres that have wetsuits and some that dont my personal preference is nto to bother simply because they are a pain to maintain and to have enough sizes to fit varying groups and in reality if you are doing taster sessions of an hour and a half in spring summer and autumn they are not really necesary, Just get some cags to keep the wind off!

I think 1500 pound is a resonable budget and my advice to you is not only to shop around but also to get in touch with your watersports advisor or waterpsorts team and see if they or anyone they know have a trade account, if not set one up, with a trade account i see no reason why you could not get 15 sets of cag helmet and buoynacy aid for 1000 pounds and stick the 500 pounds toward boats in the future (or a set of raft build kit or even a cheap set of second hand dancers or the like)

Just my thoughts but if you want any more adivce pm me as i was once in your place and involved with scouts watersports i now manage an outdoor centre so have a good idea of whats avaliable.

Thanks and good luck,

Matt

Allenkayak

Post by Allenkayak » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi

We recently replaced a lot of our scout kit,

Helmets - AP2000 really is the best choice, fits all sizes, offers very good protection and last well.

Bouyancy Aids - The NKE's Centre ones are a good versatile that are very adjustable and last well. Also the CSR junior ones work well for very small paddlers.

Cags - NKE centre ones are not bad as are the Palm youth long sleeve ones, however we ask our scouts to bring there own lightweight wind proof jackets

Wetsuits - A real pain to look after, again we get scouts to bring there own.

Definatly worth shopping around, we were given 20% discount by Brookbanks when we spent the same kind of money that your looking to spend.

May be worth considering paddles if you have spare cash and don't have any junior specific ones, they really do make a big difference in progression. The Ainsworth N90's are hard to beat.

Gillehy

Post by Gillehy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:28 am

We just ordered some center cags and wetsuits from lomo for our club. They do the job well and are a good price.

They are worth a look

matt-dav

Post by matt-dav » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:17 pm

When ordering your buoyancy aids make sure you choose ones with 50N minimum buoyancy as per Scout Regs.

We had one group get a load of the Yak Juniors and they are only 35N so failed the weight test.

We use the Peak Centre Vest. Easy to adjust and are a nice fit compared to the zip counterparts. The XS is small enough to fit on the larger Beavers and Cubs but can equally well fit the average Scout. About 90% of my Scouts fit in the XS size with the remainder fitting in S/M.

Matt

dpround

Post by dpround » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:49 am

Well, the grant application is in. In a few weeks time I should know if we got lucky. Thanks everyone for the hints, they have been very helpful.

All the best

David

rich_b

Post by rich_b » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 am

Speak to Paul at Kent Canoes, he always does us a good deal.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”