R.I.P Durham Kayak Club

Inland paddling
kirstyrichardson

R.I.P Durham Kayak Club

Post by kirstyrichardson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:46 pm

It's with great sadness that I have to announce that a small percentage of the committee of Durham Kayak Club have chosen to dissolve the club after a great 50 year history. As such, if anyone has equipment within the clubhouse that they wish to claim, then as a matter of urgency can they please make contact with the official receiver
Chris.Cooley at insolvency.gsi.gov.uk (replace 'at' with @)
tel 01642 617720

As a former member of this club I am not aware of the circumstances of the club's closure other than to say this was not the wishes of the majority of it's members.

cp

Re: R.I.P Durham Kayak Club

Post by cp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Sorry to hear the news of the closure. Anyone still interested in being a member of a club is more than welcome to join us over at Roker.
http://rokercanoeclub.weebly.com/index.html
Chris

kirstyrichardson

Post by kirstyrichardson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Cheers Chris,
there's about 40 people including coaches who at present are now without a club. I strongly suspect that the underhand way in which Durham Kayak club has closed that a new Durham based club will open in the near future in the same location, with the same kit with the same committee but with the edition of one extra person who will form the club thereby allowing the transfer of club assets from DKC to the new club.
The remaining members are paddling on Saturday if you fancy coming out with us. Send me a PM for details

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 am

Sad news for the old DKC but good news for the 'new' DKC if, when and in whatever guise it reappears...

I would imagine there is an interesting story behind this one, with potential lessons for all clubs, but I guess it won't be appearing on these pages anytime soon, or will it?

Gelnn

willbailey

Post by willbailey » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:01 pm

I think it's shocking how a set of sellfish nameless ,facelees, spineless individuals can bring an active paddling club down to it's knees ( mister can i have my ball back ) i smell a rat and it's not fury ........

markypea

Post by markypea » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:16 am

still find it hard to believe, that insolvency was applied for in September yet the members of the club dont find out until late November I am ashamed by all these underhand antics.

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:14 am

Based on what has been said, it does seem quite incredible how a minority have been allowed to do this against the wishes of the the majority of club members. I understand that there may be legal reasons why people may be loathe to comment further, but surely the facts of this case need to aired if only to prevent this happening again?

As a former member of DKC some years ago, it is very upsetting to hear what is happening to what I remember to be a vibrant, energetic, family-orientated club that has introduced many many people to paddlesports over the years - particularly young people, as it used to have excellent links with local schools.

A sad day for paddleport!

Glenn

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:22 am

Never been in DKC but remember meeting many DKC members on the Tees, Tyne, Wear, Swale etc over the years. I'm sure another club will rise out of the ashes.

www.unsponsored.co.uk

kirstyrichardson

Post by kirstyrichardson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:05 pm

I would love to publicly announce the full tale regarding the demise of Durham Kayak Club but having been one of 18 club members served with an interim injunction by 3 of the committee for being part of a club special general meeting regarding how the club was being ran I don't fancy facing the wrath of these people again. The club's website is still live as the administrator is away this weekend but it will probably disappear soon. if anyone wants to take a look at the old club this is the website http://www.durhamkayakclub.org.uk/?page_id=74

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:19 pm

It is really sad to hear about events at Durham. All the local clubs are aware of what has gone on and so I expect the trouble makers will ultimately find themselvs very isolated. I hope something new starts up in Durham or the club is salvaged somehow. It always was a valuable assett to paddle sport in the north east. Hang in there and keep the faith guys!
I have a dog, his name is Erik.

theboofdog

Post by theboofdog » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Committe responsible for closing down DKC's 50 year history are as follows

Mr Owain Harris

Mrs Susan Harris

Miss Lyndsay Craig

Mr John Ellerton

Hope the above mentioned people are proud of there actions.

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Phil, I think you are right that the club will re-emerge in some form, but it may not be in the best interests of the majority; ie rumour suggests that the minority are hoping to take control of the club's assets, which in terms of the equipment and building are not insubstantial...

Boofdog, is that a husband and wife team leading the Gang of Four, by any chance???

From what I hear, word is spreading rapidly throughout the North East paddling world and further afield. I guess some people may find that there are living in interesting times...

G

willbailey

Post by willbailey » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Hey HOTDOG paddling is a small world they can crawl back in the holes from witch the cometh !

andya

Post by andya » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I-smell-a-rat

Post by I-smell-a-rat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:33 am

Interesting link.

Look at the timeline - it looks like the petition to wind-up the club was applied for by the three members of the committee on the 29th September 2011.

Didn't the committee apply to the Court for injunctions to prevent the members from meeting to discuss how the club was to move forward AFTER this date, sometime in October?

If the comittee were planning to close the club back then, why would they go to such extreme lengths and expense to stop the members from trying to make things work?

Some things appear VERY wrong here.

andya

Post by andya » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Link to winding up notice ...
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... -companies

In the interests of public disclosure did anyone from the club attend "Civil and Family Justice Centre, The Green, Durham City in the County of Durham DH1 3RG on 18 November 2011 at 2 o’clock in the afternoon" to oppose the petition to wind up?

kirstyrichardson

Post by kirstyrichardson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:35 pm

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... es/1476223

Regarding this, it's interesting to note that the three people listed as the trustees on the notice were not the only trustees of the DKC charity. Some of the trustees were not even consulted or aware this was happening.

I-smell-a-rat

Post by I-smell-a-rat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:47 pm

In the interests of public disclosure did anyone from the club attend "Civil and Family Justice Centre, The Green, Durham City in the County of Durham DH1 3RG on 18 November 2011 at 2 o’clock in the afternoon" to oppose the petition to wind up?
As I understand it, the three members of the committee did this all very secretly, without telling anyone, so nobody knew anything about it until it was too late and the club had already been formally closed.

Personally, the London Gazette is not on my list of regularly read publications!

paddletastic2

Post by paddletastic2 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:26 pm

The other trustees need to go and see the receiver if that is the case.

andya

Post by andya » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:32 pm

More links:
Removed charity: http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Sho ... ryNumber=0
Previous finances: https://www.cafonline.org/system/charit ... gNo1096293
Trustees: http://opencharities.org/charities/1096293
Trustees on winding up Petition: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... es/1476223
Decided to post this as reading the thread others allege they are prohibited from commenting by an interim Injunction issued the by people in above quote. Can anyone find details of this alleged injunction?

kirstyrichardson

Post by kirstyrichardson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:54 pm

andya wrote:Link to winding up notice ...
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... -companies

No because the first any of the members new about this was on Wednesday 30th November 2011.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:24 pm

I wonder if the local papers would be interested to hear about this and the seemingly underhand way it has all been handled?

kirstyrichardson

Post by kirstyrichardson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:35 pm

An interim injunction was served on 20th October 2011 and the case was due to be heard at Newcastle Law Courts (transferred from Durham Court) on Wednesday 26th October 2011 by Judge Walton. Part of the injunction was that our memberships were suspended for 30 days which may become relevant. Our memberships were later reinstated but it seems coincidental that we would have been suspended during the period of 18th November 2011 when the insolvency hearing took place!

willbailey

Post by willbailey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Big Henry wrote:I wonder if the local papers would be interested to hear about this and the seemingly underhand way it has all been handled?
Big the papers are ,i have phoned the northern echoe a have spoken to a journalist he is keen just gonna wait and see if there is anymore development with the receivers and the bcu ...

kirstyrichardson

Post by kirstyrichardson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:52 pm

I suspect there will be an awful development on Wednesday when the receiver looks at the assets of the club or should I say lack of them. Watch this space.

nickbennett

Post by nickbennett » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I have read this thread with a mixture of interest and shock, but I am not really sure what has happened? It seems to me that it is being suggested that several members of the committee have essentially stolen the club's assets? How is this even possible, and what do they expect to do with it? Are they liquidating it or are they going to try and make money out of kayaking? Also how did such individuals ever get into a position where they were able to do this? All sounds a bit animal farm to me!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Reading this thread, I get the impression there is plenty of scope for people to jump to all sorts of conclusions based on extremely limited information. If the club was effectively insolvent, ie its assets were less than its liabilities, one would suspect the trustees had little choice but to appoint an administrator. I don't know enough about the law on this subject to know if there were any alternatives for them. Nor do I know why an injunction was sought but perhaps it is a normal part of the process to protect the interests of the creditors.

simonj

Post by simonj » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Here is a bit more information on the closure of Durham Kayak Club.

Until it's closure last week, I was a member of Durham Kayak Club. The closure of the club after 53 years in Durham is a great shame and those responsible should explain to the membership why they have done this. Their actions appear to me to be against the club constitiution as they did not consult any members as far as I am aware about the closure of the club and a 2/3 majority at a General Meeting of the club is needed to do this. I, as a former member, would appreciate an explanation of these actions by those of the former committee responsible, and not through a solicitors letter.

Many members of the club have tried to meet on a number of occasions over past months to try to resolve the disputes that were causing the problems. In the last special general meeting which we set up and announced to the membership as required, a court official appeared and served injunctions on a large number of members to prevent them from attending the meeting. The effect of this unbelievable action (court injunctions taken out against 17 (I think) members of a club by some members of its committee) was that the meeting was inquorate and could not complete the business of trying to resolve the issues. None of the committee members responsible for the injunctions attended the meeting although clearly they knew that the meeting was happening and would have been welcome to attend. I did not have an injunction served on me so am free to explain these events.

I believe that the court injunctions were withdrawn after mediation and all parties agreed to try to carry on the business of the club. I am not completely clear on these events as I was not party to these discussions. If anyone else can clarify, please do.

We now learn that all along the committee were intending to close the club following the lodging, in early September, of the petition with the courts to dissolve the club.

I believe that the committee owe the members of the club an explanation in their own words and look forward to hearing it.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:55 pm

This all seems unbelievable! I'm interested to learn of the final outcome.

Francis_jones

Post by Francis_jones » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Just reading this while eating my dinner and its making me feel physically sick that a group of "responsible" people can do this to a club with such a fantasic history, assured future and active members.

At the same time I am proud of the responses on here and the resourcefulness of some which I feel is a true trait and advantage of canoeists.

I fervently wish that the above mentioned will not benefit in the slightest from their actions, the legality of which I have serious doubts about, and think if we all stay vigilant their true motives will become apparent and actions can be taken.

Swaledale Outdoors Club are another alternative local club with a small but friendly and active membership who may be open to new members and are worth a look for any affected DKC members.