New bridge on Pattack, ready for Hydro

Inland paddling
Andy H

New bridge on Pattack, ready for Hydro

Post by Andy H » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi all

Was on the Pattack 2 days ago and there is a bridge being built about 400m above the last gorge so be careful when passing as they have a huge crane there at the moment lifting in the foundations, They are very friendly guys and will wave you through when safe.

I spoke to the guys building it and asked if it was anything to do with the new hydro planned. They said the Hydro is going ahead and the new bridge along with a new road accessing the estate is to help with then instalation of the hydro, but they didnt know when the hydro dam will be built.

So it looks like the Hydro is going ahead, Go and do the Pattack while you can

Cheers
Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Smithy1

Re: New bridge on Pattack, ready for Hydro

Post by Smithy1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:31 pm

The Pattack is a beautiful spot. Very sad news.

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:54 am

Interesting, as far as I was aware, did not know that the pattack has final approval....
Neil Farmer.

Notters

Post by Notters » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 am

Great wee river, it will be a shame to lose it. I knew there was an application in and im sure i signed an online petition against it.

Notters.
Notters@Team_Borders

Mike Dales

Post by Mike Dales » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 am

I can confirm that the hydro doesn't have planning consent. In fact, Npower haven't even submitted the planning application yet. If someone is building a bridge over the river in preparation of the hydro then they are definitely jumping the gun. Achieving planning consent isn't a foregone conclusion, so they risk building a bridge & not getting the hydro. Given that they're now building a bridge over the river it does raise the question as to whether they need planning consent to build the bridge!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Mike Dales wrote:I can confirm that the hydro doesn't have planning consent. In fact, Npower haven't even submitted the planning application yet. If someone is building a bridge over the river in preparation of the hydro then they are definitely jumping the gun. Achieving planning consent isn't a foregone conclusion, so they risk building a bridge & not getting the hydro. Given that they're now building a bridge over the river it does raise the question as to whether they need planning consent to build the bridge!
It might depend on whether it is permanent or not, but I'd be surprised if any reputable civil engineering firm would start work on a bridge without getting all the necessary paperwork in place - if there is no paperwork, you would have to wonder who is building the bridge...???? I'm really not sure what paperwork is needed for a bridge, but planning would only be the first part of it, no planning would I'm suire hold up the much more mportant stuff.

Could be Andy H didn't quite get the full story - maybe the estate have been wanting the access road and bridge for a while and have decided to risk going ahead on the basis that if they do get permission to build a hydro scheme they could recoup some of the costs, and if they don't they needed it anyway?

Is Monarch of the Glen still being made? The bottom of the Pattack was used in that quite a lot, maybe the TV people are paying towards a bridge?

Mike Dales

Post by Mike Dales » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:04 am

I have just been told that planning consent would be required to build a bridge over the river. Monarch of the Glen finished a few years ago, so is no longer filmed on the Ardverikie Estate.

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:02 am

Its not just the bridge they are building but a road also going through the estate, They have already cleared woodland for this and layed down the hardcore ready to be tarmaced. This is a major operation and have had some serious heavy plant gear in there to do it all. Surely they wouldnt do this amount of work without planning .

As for the Hydro I am only going off what the bridge workers said.

Cheers
Andy

Mike Dales

Post by Mike Dales » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:25 am

Unfortunately, they don't require planning consent for the road, but they do for the bridge.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:54 pm

In this Act, except where the context otherwise requires, "development", subject to the following provisions of this section, means the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings qt other land.
Brave to construct a road without seeking either approval or a statement that approval is not require.

Niall Milner

Post by Niall Milner » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

GPDO or (General Permitted Development Order for those not in the know) permits certain types of development without the need of planning permission. This includes Agricultural Buildings below certain size and location criteria amongst others and also applies to "Hill Roads" in the context of upland Estates.

SNH Produce the Guidance if you're really interested....

It is normally recommended that you notify the LA via "prior notification" if undertaking such a permitted development, but practically is ignored sometimes if the Developer thinks no one is watching......

But without anyone asking Highland Council what they think is going on/is or isn't permitted then this is a thread of hearsay and armchair conjecture.

Niall

Mike Dales

Post by Mike Dales » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:59 am

Can anyone provide a grid reference for the new bridge that is being built?

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:33 pm

I would say grid ref 564896 give or take 100 metres. Its about half a km before you enter the final gorge.

Cheers Andy

Mike Dales

Post by Mike Dales » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks Andy

Rikhensman

Post by Rikhensman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Looks like the pattack scheme is going ahead. Tender documents for its construction have just landed on my desk!!!
Paddle it while you have the chance the proposal looks like it will kill off paddling apart from on freshet days.

Rik
The best glimpse of heaven is on the way into hell.

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Rikhensman wrote:Looks like the pattack scheme is going ahead. Tender documents for its construction have just landed on my desk!!!
Paddle it while you have the chance the proposal looks like it will kill off paddling apart from on freshet days.
Well, make sure you win the job, and at least make sure that the outflow back into the loch has some playboating potential - there has to be some benefit to the loss of this little gem!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

banzer

Post by banzer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Strangely I never had much love for the Pattack when I lived in FW. Probably because it was always b*stard cold when I paddled it. Still, a beautiful river and sad to see it go just to power about twenty kettles most of the time.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”