What's your nemesis?!?!?!?

Inland paddling
SwamP

What's your nemesis?!?!?!?

Post by SwamP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:56 pm

So recently I was feeling nostalgic about the days before qualifying for my accredited Gumbie certificate and was remembering my old nemesis….

So the question is, now that we’re starting to go full circle and people are running the Falloch at Scottish levels again (well the falls at least, but it’s a start), people are bouncing down some lesser run stuff again and there are even impressive 1st D’s being done that have both water in them and are above grade 3+…

Who is going to run my old nemesis with some water in it? Can it even be done when it’s not dog low? Will they abseil in as is being done over the pond quite often?

Yep… Falls of Douglas…

I can’t even look at it without feeling physically sick! The fall that was always an inch over the peak of my ability :(

And of course, what is your nemesis?
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Pyro

Re: What's your nemesis?!?!?!?

Post by Pyro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:31 pm

For a long while, the Kent. As in, all of it. I'd never had a good day, always took a pasting, always skewered it up. A couple of days of being on it, ignoring the ar$ey, niggling, negative voices (both my own and those of a couple of people I used to paddle with) and just concentrating on my technique has put paid to that.

Third drop of Triple Step on the Etive stole my mojo for a long time as well.

Nowadays? Don't know. Will report back when I find it and cack myself.
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Not so much a nemesis as a regret... and I'm not even sure what it was.
Deffo Scotland and I'm thinking the "Falls of Ary" at Inverary? Kind of a triple drop cascade thing with road on river right bank.

Stood and stared at the line for far too long and talked myself out of it. Still wish I'd had a crack at it to this day – and that's gotta be 20 years ago.

Does that make sense or am I going senile?
dave

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Cylinder drop, Egua.

I didn't even consider it this year.

Liam

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Guys I'm loving this so far as its almost a big balls tick list...

Pics would be nice too as we're going further afield now :)

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:07 pm

The Venter Ache. Got on it this summer having not been in a boat for a while, and didn't have a very nice time...

Looking forward to doing it next summer.

TomOL

Post by TomOL » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Easan Dubha on the classic Orchy section - had a nasty swim there a couple of years back and I've not had the opportunity to go back and have a second attempt...

Either that or Surprise-Surprise on the Upper Dart, simply because I rarely hit the line as well as I'd like and invariably end up the wrong way up in the pool at the bottom...

BillAnderson

Post by BillAnderson » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Deffo Scotland and I'm thinking the "Falls of Ary" at Inverary? Kind of a triple drop cascade thing with road on river right bank.
Falls of Aray 0:48.

Managed to get a good run down this weekend just gone too, amazing horizon line as you drop in!

Le_bambino

Post by Le_bambino » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:46 pm

AS Watersports wrote:Cylinder drop, Egua.

I didn't even consider it this year.

Liam
We don't blame you.
Mark Shackleton
A.K.A Princess

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:54 pm

^^ That sounds like a good story?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:02 pm

BillAnderson wrote:
Falls of Aray 0:48.

Managed to get a good run down this weekend just gone too, amazing horizon line as you drop in!
Nice! Made it look easy too. Looked a similar level, but it's hard to tell. Damn! I'm gonna have to do that one trip when I'm back...
Thanks.
dave

Jonny Kennedy

Post by Jonny Kennedy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:04 pm

It would have to be the Eden (that flows into the Mawddach). Years ago we we had driven from Oxford and determined to have an adventure and take advantage of rain everywhere, but the Eden was so high it was up to and over the crossing footbridge. Until this bridge, we thought that this was the recommended 'high' level it needed to be when we first got on! So nieve.
Fair to say, we were out of our depth, never made it too the Mawddach and one of our 3 took a long painful swim - the boat was found halfway up a tree by a farmer a few days later and in good shape (of course it was a spud!)
Never been able to return to finish this project - especially at the high levels this nemesis will be conquered.

Jonny

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:45 pm

For me it is the Upper Mawddach. I have never before had to work so hard for such a long time. I decided to run the 6m waterfall, but capsized on the run in, rolling just before the lip in totally the wrong place and bounced off the rock on the way down. When my roll failed I assumed I had broken something, which I hadn't thankfully. I then went on to mess up the first drop of the Three Nasties, getting caught in the micro-eddy on the left of the fall, and having to bail again. My boat went off downstream chased by my companions while I had a much needed rest after dragging myself out of the water. By the time I walked to the get-out to meet the others it was getting dark and I had to give up on retrieving my boat and paddle, which they had left on the bank. I had to go back the next day to get the boat, but I never found me paddle.

It is (seriously) the only river I have paddled where I thought my I3 was the wrong boat. My upper arm is still sore where I hit the rock, and this was nine months ago now.

I will do it again though, but maybe when I have a different boat.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Definitely Huka Falls, NZ

It's 'only' a 4+ but so commiting.... every time I go it's usually too high for a first attempt, or if I'm there with a boat AND it's a good level, there's no-one there to go with, and I'm not soloing it! Some day......
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Without doubt it's the Finstermunster rapid on the Inn.
Twice I've paddled down to run it and scuttled off with my tail between my legs both times.
The first time the whole lot of us back-tracked and climbed/scrambled up to a quarry thing above the river on the left and walked out.
The second time I portaged then scrambled up the gulley just below on river left all the way up to the road with my boat on my shoulder and my paddle in my other hand -- probably a much more dangerous undertaking than just running the stupid thing in the first place!
I don't know what it is about it, though I suspect the stories of boaters fluffing a stroke, getting pushed up against the huge rock and then getting sucked under it still in their boats has never helped.
Certainly once the decision had been made each time not to run it, it was off the water time. Neither time did I contemplate just portaging the damned thing and continuing downstream.
Giles

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:22 pm

banzer wrote:Definitely Huka Falls, NZ

It's 'only' a 4+ but so commiting.... every time I go it's usually too high for a first attempt, or if I'm there with a boat AND it's a good level, there's no-one there to go with, and I'm not soloing it! Some day......
Dude, did you downgrade that or is it a 4?

Not arguing, just saying it felt a lot harder when I ran it, even the rapids above felt like 5s :(

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Guillotine, Guardian Angel, Guil.

Having screwed it up twice on the first day I went back to style it the next day and it didn't get any better.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 6274350361

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:49 pm

clarky999 wrote:^^ That sounds like a good story?
I think a few people have had teh same story there.

https://vimeo.com/17594363

One min 25 on that video catches some of the swim (it went on quite alot longer)

Liam

*serves me right for paddling like a spud

Uisce

Post by Uisce » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:19 pm

box2k2 wrote:Guillotine, Guardian Angel, Guil.

Having screwed it up twice on the first day I went back to style it the next day and it didn't get any better.

Don't think that facebook link will work without permission, is the video hosted anywhere else?

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:27 pm

The rightside of chopping board rapid, on the Thompson River BC. Swam out of it the first time, never did try again, but it was oh so tempting.

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Uisce wrote:Don't think that facebook link will work without permission, is the video hosted anywhere else?
Sorted. Enjoy.

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:44 pm

box2k2 wrote:Guillotine, Guardian Angel, Guil.

That didn't look fun!

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 pm

AS Watersports wrote:
clarky999 wrote:^^ That sounds like a good story?
I think a few people have had teh same story there.

https://vimeo.com/17594363

One min 25 on that video catches some of the swim (it went on quite alot longer)

Liam

*serves me right for paddling like a spud
Ouch, did not look fun!

Is the line basically go left, boof and hope?

Joe L

Post by Joe L » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 pm

For me its probably the Rio Gol Gol in Chile. The first time we did it someone subluxed their shoulder on some class 3 and walked out at the start. We carried on and it was awesome until another guy swam out from an undercut wall. We got the boat but the paddle didn't re-appear. Then we realised the guy who had walk out earlier had our split paddle :(. The hike out took about 3 hours through pretty dense jungle in 30 degree heat. The next day I broke my backrest on the first waterfall and walked out at the start while the others finished it. Came back again a week later and couldn't paddle due to sore shoulder from another river. I'll be back though.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 am

Ryan - Falls of Douglas is now a hydro scheme, I think the river still runs above it, but the greedy subsidy grabbers couldn't resist that head!

DaveBland - 20 years ago the Falls of Aray was probably blocked by a tree - I have honestly never looked at them because that's what I was told when I first moved up here around 13 years ago, and the tree was well known and long established then. I take it that either the tree has moved or rotted out, or modern techniques make it possible to run the tree?

My own nemesis? That's a tricky one.
Falloch I still have no intention of ever getting on because I would be portaging every named rapid and I don't believe when I'm told the rest is worth getting on for - it's not a proper nemesis though.
Proper Nemesis is probably the Falls of Leny, only run it a few times, once I did it all on my head and eventually swam after I lost my paddle (which cut my hand as it was wrenched away), another time I hit the rooster tail on the left and ended up sideways in mid air - the landing was as severe as you can imagine but I did at least roll up that time. I can't recall a fully successful descent, maybe it's only been those twice?

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:17 am

Its nothing special but I need to get my head (and ability) around the triple step on the Etive.
1st time I walked 1 and 2, disapeared on 3.
2nd time I rolled after 1, swam on 2, disapeared on 3.
3rd time I failed my role on 1, went down 2 upside down (losing a large amount of skin off both thumbs) and disapeared on 3.

I think I'm just clumsy on 1 and 2, I know the best line for 3 but miss it and drop straight into the hole.

Maybe next year I'll be happy with it.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:57 am

Jim wrote: DaveBland - 20 years ago the Falls of Aray was probably blocked by a tree - I have honestly never looked at them because that's what I was told when I first moved up here around 13 years ago, and the tree was well known and long established then. I take it that either the tree has moved or rotted out, or modern techniques make it possible to run the tree?
Thanks Jim. I think I do remember a tree about half way down, but it's all a bit vague now. I don't think it was in the water, more meaning you'd have to duck and not go too hard to that side?
I'll ask Ned. He'll remember. [Gimme a call Neddy].
dave

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:17 am

Randy Fandango wrote:Neither time did I contemplate just portaging the damned thing and continuing downstream.
Giles
Why ever not? It's a simple portage.

banzer

Post by banzer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:21 am

SwamP wrote:
banzer wrote:Definitely Huka Falls, NZ

Dude, did you downgrade that or is it a 4?

Not arguing, just saying it felt a lot harder when I ran it, even the rapids above felt like 5s :(
That's what the guidebook says! General opinion is it's a 4 at low flows (30-50 cumecs) 4+ at around 50 to 100ish, and 5 above that. There's all sort of videos of people getting a pasting on You Tube, just to put anyone off some more!
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:10 am

Dr Robin wrote:
Randy Fandango wrote:Neither time did I contemplate just portaging the damned thing and continuing downstream.
Giles
Why ever not? It's a simple portage.
I know -- it sounds absolutely ridiculous doesn't it?
But at that point I was in some odd place where portaging felt like a failure (except things like the Oetz weir!) and so when I was "defeated" by the Finstermunster it felt like game over and I just wanted off the river. Right that second.
Rather pathetic really... :-)
Giles

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”