Everest as an alternative to Burn M (+ other options)

Inland paddling
Rory

Everest as an alternative to Burn M (+ other options)

Post by Rory » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:02 pm

My apologies in advance for another dreaded what boat post.

In a nutshell: I'm looking to replace my Burn M. Thinking about the Everest as a good option. Why? Because I'm hoping to step up the grades this year from 3/4 to more of 4/5. The latest trends appears to be veering towards huge volume boats e.g. Stomper 80 & 90, Shivas..etc. Making the Everest look relatively medium at 313L

I'll try to be specific here. I'm 5'11'' solid build at 85-89kg. Not looking for a displacement hull. Love the way my Burn handles and want to stick with a planning hull. Boat will be used for mostly grade 4 and upwards stuff (I'm not concerned about being bored on easier water as I tend to stick to my playboat for 3/-4 stuff e.g. Tryweryn. To give an idea in the next 18 months or so I'll be looking to use it on:

Wales: Conwy Upper,Middle (maybe Glen), Ogwen, Mawdach, Mellte, Nantgrwyd....
England: Upper Dart, maybe few in the lakes
Scotland: Etive, Morriston....
France: Typical classic around Briancon e.g. Guil, Guisanne etc....

Obviously I will be demoing an Everest when I get a chance. In the meantime I be interested to hear any 'informed' opinions on whether the Everest would offer any advanatge over sticking to a medium Burn as I look to step up my paddling. ps glad to hear alternatives that might suit my size.

Simon Westgarth

Re: Everest as an alternative to Burn M (+ other options)

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I would say you may be a little tall of the Everest, yet it depends on your own specific proportions. Look at the Shiva M, Mamba 8.6 and even the Burn L. You are a lighter tall person, so should be looking at the larger boats. If you feel too deep in them, raise yourself up with seat pads. A boat with a bigger foot print and less draft will be faster, easier to track and importantly will turn well once under speed. For Class IV and beyond, these are all desirable characteristics. Of course test as many as you can.

Rory

Post by Rory » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:53 pm

[I would say you may be a little tall of the Everest, yet it depends on your own specific proportions. Look at the Shiva M, Mamba 8.6 and even the Burn L. You are a lighter tall person, so should be looking at the larger boats.
Thanks Simon. I wouldn't describe myself as tall and certainly not light but everything is relative I suppose. I do agree I should be looking at the larger boats hence looking at Everest. I Found the Burn L to be massive as you said too deep, too wide, all in all far too chunky (did raise the seat too). Everest felt similar to the Medium Burn in turns of fit but I need to get one on the water.

The Shiva is a bit too much towards displacement than I'd prefer. The Mamba 8.6 could be an good option. Any idea when they'll be released in the UK? Is it just me or does the volume on the Mambas appear to be understated.i.e. the 8.5 allways appears bigger in the flesh than its 72 gal spec suggests.perahps its the distribution?

Niall Milner

Post by Niall Milner » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Rory wrote:To give an idea in the next 18 months or so I'll be looking to use it on:

Wales: Conwy Upper,Middle (maybe Glen), Ogwen, Mawdach, Mellte, Nantgrwyd....
England: Upper Dart, maybe few in the lakes
Scotland: Etive, Morriston....
France: Typical classic around Briancon e.g. Guil, Guisanne etc....
With a hit list like that I'd save your cash, or use it on a weekends pro coaching. The Burn(M) would be great for all of those rivers. By changing boat you'd only be buying 'the magic feather effect' (see Dumbo)!!

Niall

Rory

Post by Rory » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Niall Milner wrote:I'd save your cash

I should have added that I need to replace the Burn in any case i.e. my options are another Burn M or alternatives.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:13 pm

That's a good list of rivers. I found a rotobat was perfect for them-but it has to be pink! I'd say if you are used to a burn then maybe look at the new mamba?
dave

nick 16

Post by nick 16 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Hello i have been paddling the Everest for over a year now Im the same height as you at 5'11" but am over 100kg's. I fit the medium burn but am over weight for it, like you have felt that the large burn is too big. To sum up the boat in my experience its fast and forgiving with very good secondary stabilty, for a boat of its length it turns well and boofs really well too. I paddled it in france on the stuff round the briancon area, on the lower guisane it proved to be resposive on the twisty boulder gardens of the river, on higher volume stuff ive been on with it its great for big ferries, riding up and over steep waves and lastly punches holes like no ones business.

Just my experiences

Nick
Nicholas Ball

callum s

Post by callum s » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:34 pm

I am a similar height and weight to you and have found the medium Burn to be a lovely boat comfortable on all the Scottish classics for the last year. If you like it i would stick with it. you dont really need a bigger boat for UK paddling. If you do want to upsize however I recently got a Zet Raptor after my Burn disintegrated in Norway, awesome boat and a nice transition from the burn being slighly more forgiving but maintaining some of the sharpness the rails on a burn offer. Definitely worth a peek.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:21 am

I'm 6'3" and not remotely 'a little tall of' my Everest.

I've also had a Burn M and a Burn L. The Burn L I rattled about in a bit, even with loads of padding added around hips and knees. The Everest is a big improvement ergonomically, narrower knee position and snugger seat. Great fit.

My general (favourable) impression is that the Everest feels like a faster more dynamic version of the Burn L. I like.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

R4

Post by R4 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:08 am

Sounds like the Everest is a brilliant option for you as an upgrade to the Burn M.
My general (favourable) impression is that the Everest feels like a faster more dynamic version of the Burn L. I like.
This is bang on, the Everest is like a cut down, narrower, more bullet shaped version of the Burn L. You may lose out on a bit of 'playboat feel' from the hull, but in return you get more rapid acceleration and a great boat for charging the shit out of big water.

You're probably slightly too short for the burn L as its high cockpit rim can make you feel a bit like you're paddling a bath tub. The everest is lower around the hips and isn't so wide, enabling you to get more power out of your strokes if you're sub 6ft.

At 5'9, 70kg the only thing I could find wrong with the Everest is that it might may lower grade runs in the UK seem a bit tame - but this shouldn't be a problem if you're interchanging with a playboat.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Mark R wrote:I'm 6'3" and not remotely 'a little tall of' my Everest.

I've also had a Burn M and a Burn L. The Burn L I rattled about in a bit, even with loads of padding added around hips and knees. The Everest is a big improvement ergonomically, narrower knee position and snugger seat. Great fit.

Well in life is takes all sorts.

I am 6', and fell the boat was a little too narrow from edge to edge, and knee stance also, yet the hull on the Everest was significantly nicer to use than the Burn L, and was a good boat.
Rory wrote:The Shiva is a bit too much towards displacement than I'd prefer. The Mamba 8.6 could be an good option. Any idea when they'll be released in the UK? Is it just me or does the volume on the Mambas appear to be understated.i.e. the 8.5 allways appears bigger in the flesh than its 72 gal spec suggests.perahps its the distribution?
The Shiva, does not have a traditional displacement, more like Nomad and Stomper, in that it's a similar box chined hull, yet without harder edges in the transition from the hull to the side wall. The Mamba 8.6 is to be released in January, and will be about 88 US gallons, that's 333 litres.
R4 wrote:At 5'9, 70kg the only thing I could find wrong with the Everest is that it might may lower grade runs in the UK seem a bit tame - but this shouldn't be a problem if you're interchanging with a playboat.
The 70-85kg window is where I would put the ideal weight for the Everest, but as I said t can take all sorts.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”