Anyone for Murmuration?

Post by Mark R »

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Croft

Re: Anyone for Murmuration?

Post by Croft »

Absolutely fantastic!

(but will the video be banned by the BCU for those missing life jackets!)
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

Simon

Post by Simon »

Despite all the macho big-water head cam vids I have seen on this site - that has to be one of the most exciting and amazing boating videos posted. It certainly made my flesh tingle.

Thanks

Simon

Poke

Post by Poke »

I was lucky enough to see one of these whilst on my way home after a boating weekend in Scotland a couple of years back. We'd stopped in a services (OK, nowhere near as impressive as in the middle of a lake) and it was certainly a sight to behold.

One element of natures majesty you don't get from that video though is quite what happens when you're standing underneath so many birds...
Lets just say you won't be wanting to wear the same clothes again the next day...
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea »

WOW!

I used to think the Starlings on Runcorn Bridge at Teatime were impressive, but that's breathtaking.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

Amazing! I once saw a similar display whilst walking up a hill in Rome many years ago. Absolutely breathtaking!
Everyone just stopped and gaped in awe. Afterwards I genuinely wondered if I'd dreamt it until the others with me started excitedly talking about what we'd just seen.
Giles

Philb75

Post by Philb75 »

I remember being out surfing off the beach at Aberystwyth one January with a display from the starlings coming back to roost under the pier.
The coordination and precision is mesmerising.

joereadickins

Post by joereadickins »

Philb75 wrote:I remember being out surfing off the beach at Aberystwyth one January with a display from the starlings coming back to roost under the pier.
The coordination and precision is mesmerising.
Yeah its pretty amazing. They do it like clockwork every evening at sunset from around September-late March/early April, apparently for over 100 years now. Bizzarley enough as soon as the sun dips down behind the sea they are gone within minutes (they nest under the pier). I might have to swing by tonight I think...

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Yes but it can't be real - David Attenborough isn't talking in hushed tones over it! They say that 2-300 years ago starlings were shy woodland birds and then the theory is something happened to do with the Industrial Revolution which changed their habits. Don't quote me as it might have been Bill Oddie who spread the rumour!

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Three winters ago we had a similar display visible from my house, every evening for several weeks. Sadly they haven't been back in such numbers since, although not everyone was sorry to see them go as they make an almighty mess where they roost. Poke is right about the perils of being underneath them - you can hear the constant splat-splat-splat.

I took lots of photographs, but still shots really don't capture what it's like.

Steve Balcombe

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dave Manby wrote:Yes but it can't be real - David Attenborough isn't talking in hushed tones over it! They say that 2-300 years ago starlings were shy woodland birds and then the theory is something happened to do with the Industrial Revolution which changed their habits. Don't quote me as it might have been Bill Oddie who spread the rumour!
Actually I think that may have been robins, which are shy woodland birds in other parts of Europe but practically tame here.
Steve Balcombe

lora may

Post by lora may »

Just seen this vid on Autumn Watch

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

AlexMB

Post by AlexMB »

Hi Steve,
That is a stunning photo of the murmuration!
I wonder if you could give me permission to use it in my invitation for an eve of poetry and music in Devon? (A third of the £5 entrance fee will go to a charity for indigenous peoples, I haven't decided on which one yet)

thanks
look forward to hearing from you
Alex

Diamond Dave

Post by Diamond Dave »

Hi Alex,
Fraid I don't have much to add to the murmuration chat (other than they look amazing on that scale), but if you're still looking for a charity then I'd like to put the Heart of Borneo Rainforest Foundation in the runnings for you.

http://www.heartofborneo.org/
OUR VALUES
We believe in the intrinsic right of nature to exist, and of the fundamental value of nature and wilderness to the mental, spiritual, and physical health of humanity. Indeed it is our belief that our best hope of happiness as a species is to realign our relationship with nature as one of symbiosis, rather than one of exploitation or stewardship.

We believe in the intrinsic right of indigenous and tribal peoples to self-determination. As such we only work where we have permission from local communities, and we only engage in their affairs when we are asked to. In such circumstances we try to go beyond participatory approaches to something that is closer to facilitation.

We believe in transparency as a means to honesty and accountability, within NGOs, businesses, and governments. As William O’Douglas said:

“Sunlight is the best disinfectant”.

We believe in open access to information and data.

We believe in collaboration and networking, and especially within the NGO community which is shamefully protective of its information and resources.

We believe in multidisciplinary, cross-cultural, cross-generational approaches that allow people of all backgrounds to work alongside each other on different problems, so that they may benefit from the insight and enthusiasm of others.

We believe in the youth, who have yet to have their faith and optimism corrupted and crushed by cynicism.

We believe in positivity, innovation, and the fundamental goodness of human beings.
I was involved in an expedition to Borneo last summer and we were regularly in contact with Heart of Borneo - a small charity who can do a lot with a small amount of money. Through sale of donated kayaks from Pyranha we managed to raise a decent amount for them, but they can always do with more. They don't work solely for the protection of indiginous people (though that is one of their key aims), but by helping conserve the rain forest it helps tribes maintain the semi nomadic lifestyle they've used for thousands of years.
http://www.kayakborneo.co.uk

WHAT IS TOTAL KNOWLEDGE?
If we consider that information is power, then Total Knowledge is a situation where all the people have access to all the information, and everybody is empowered equally. This may sound either idealistic or dystopian depending on your point of view, but allow us to explain a little deeper what we mean.

Across the three nations that share Borneo as a territory, and at every level within those nations, lack of information is – if not the major cause – the major facilitator of deforestation and degradation.

Consider a remote community enticed into selling land to a palm oil company because they haven’t seen the potentially disastrous outcomes that other villages have already faced. Or a government planning department that has virtually no biodiversity data to guide them as to where the most vulnerable or important ecosystems are in a given area, let alone standardised maps between their departments.

What about the public (national or international), who have very little understanding, or ways of increasing their understanding, of the rate of deforestation, the effects, and the main drivers. As a consumer should I support a ban of all palm oil, or is it better to actively support responsible palm oil growers? Which business should I champion and which should I campaign against or boycott?

There are thousand of NGOs working across Borneo, but outside of the networks they have each formed, how do they have any idea about what work (good or bad) is being carried out elsewhere? There is massive duplication of effort, resources, and mistakes as a result.

This list could go on forever. And it does! Which is why we have framed everything we do around Total Knowledge. If we can gather all the information we collectively have, make it all publicly available then everybody is better off. What’s more, we can collectively identify the gaps in our knowledge, then we can collaborate to fill them in.

We are pursuing a broad approach toward our vision of Total Knowledge.
Dave Burne
Full Facers - the way forward!
http://www.fourbordersexpedition.com

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

AlexMB wrote:Hi Steve,
That is a stunning photo of the murmuration!
I wonder if you could give me permission to use it in my invitation for an eve of poetry and music in Devon? (A third of the £5 entrance fee will go to a charity for indigenous peoples, I haven't decided on which one yet)

thanks
look forward to hearing from you
Alex
You're welcome Alex. There's a larger copy here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevebalcombe/8721812930/
Steve Balcombe

AlexMB

Post by AlexMB »

thanks Steve, I really appreciate that!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”