Boating related pranks...

Inland paddling
biketastik

Boating related pranks...

Post by biketastik » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:40 am

So I was just wondering what inspired acts of misschief the paddling comunity had got up to? Swapped someones suncream for mayo? Coated all the black straps on someones helmet in ink? What have people achieved in the relms of the 'prank'?

wezzzy

Re: Boating related pranks...

Post by wezzzy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:21 am

We managed to wedge a Dancer (Oh it was so long ago) into someones bathroom on the 2nd floor after he bragged how no-one would dare play a prank on him.
It took us an hour to get it in, it took him 3 to get it out.

I also had a discussion withn someone about the joys of weeing in a wetsuit to warm yourself up, only after he tried it did he remember he was in a drysuit :)

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:25 am

Someone form my uni club (a while back) put a fish in someone's boat. He only discovered it after swimming on Right Angle, and was convinced he'd caught it... The fact it was a salt water fish went straight over his head!

I think the captain's boat was filled with the spewbucket contents a few years ago too.

Also hid a fleshlight in someone's boat last year. Which then got moved into someone's drysuit after it was discovered.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:13 am

I've been winding myself up for years, actually thinking I could paddle.

Watched a vid of me paddling the other day. I've been punk'd.
dave

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:50 am

wezzzy wrote:I also had a discussion withn someone about the joys of weeing in a wetsuit to warm yourself up, only after he tried it did he remember he was in a drysuit :)
LMFAO :D :D :D
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:16 am

At our centre there was a spate of 'hilarious' pranks a few years back that involved people coming to work only to find their boat somewhere vaguely inaccessible:
- hoisted up and tied off firmly to the pipe work in the changing room ceiling
- taken out onto the lake and hoisted up the mast of a sailing dinghy
etc.
My personal fave was to quite simply take someone's boat, lie it on the floor and then totally fill it with water to the brim using a hosepipe. Since the boat in question was a spud it held quite a lot of water so the owner found the only way to empty it was a combination of furious bailing and syphoning. I'm told a car trolley jack was employed too.
Mind you, revenge was had: I put my boat on my car roof one morning so that when I came in from work that evening (running late as usual) I could dash straight to our pool session and just catch the last half hour. Everything worked fine until I reached the pool and took my boat off the roof only to discover that all I had was a shell. A vengeful spud owner had unstrapped it from my roof, removed every fitting from inside and carefully put it back.
Oh how we laughed..... :-/
Giles

freddie

Post by freddie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:38 am

It's always amazing just how many rocks you can fit in the back of a boat.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

Croft

Post by Croft » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 am

At the British Universities slalom (do they still have those?) at Sedburgh in 1979 (?) I got up to the start for my run only to find my boat had been filled up to the cockpit rim with cowpats (of the semi-hardened variety) - oh how we chuckled! Perhaps surprisingly the 'friend' who instigated this wizard prank is still one, and he now works for Brookbank!
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

WRK

Post by WRK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 am

My kayaks, paddles and throwlines have been stored in the basement of halls at my university also in this basement are the washing machines and dryers.

Lots of clothes from jumpers to thongs get left there in a big pile in the corner.

I took my Dad kayaking for the second time today and decided to show him the use of a throwline.

When I threw it not only did 15mtrs of yellow floating rope emerge but so did a couple pairs of womens knickers.

I was speechless and bystanders were in hysterics.

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 am

Although possibly considered environmentaly insensitive, i never fail to laugh when somebody swims and the back of their boat has been filled with washing powder. Sooooo much foam.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:08 am

Boats in trees and rocks in boats are the classic ones.

But, I know of a friend who severely annoyed his housemate and then promptly went home for 3 weeks, when he returned they went paddling as if all was forgotten, until he felt something crawling on his leg and popping his deck saw a maggot... after a short investigation it was revealed that the annoyed housemate had grabbed my friend's going-off food from the fridge (the original cause of the argument) and emptyed it into the boat, leaving it to go rancid; my friend had somehow remained oblivious to the smell until he was on the river and sharing his boat with rotten meat and maggots.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:48 am

A certain Frenchman has had his boat much abused over the years, especially on our annual trip to Scotland. Perhaps one of the better ones was exiting Glen Nevis YHA one morning for him to find his boat inexplicably suspended over the Nevis from the footbridge. Took a while to sort that out...
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

Mysterymove

Post by Mysterymove » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am

Getting half way down a river to find your mates have emptied a bottle of washing up liquid into the back of your boat isn't funny - neither is washing it out in a waterfall - hmmm foamy

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:02 am

A good squirt of fairy liquid through someone’s drain bung just before they head out for a playboating session can be entertaining.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Yew

Post by Yew » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:08 am

One of our favourites is 'is that a hole in your.cag. Just under the arm'. And when they put their arm up, a quick jab into the armpit with a paddle always causes a swim

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:33 am

Whilst at uni there were severalpeoplewith the sameboat,when they were out on a climbing trip we took two of them put one in the fire place and the other down the chimney soonly stern and bowcould be seen.

on there return they were convinced that it was 1boat

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 am

In the Alps I had my drain bung undone so many times in various eddies I started putting Duck Tape over it in hope it would slow them down long enough for me to notice it...
Recent joys include having someone trying to get their Jackson Fun to mate with mine, repeatedly, whilst going down some steep and exciting water. Only after the tenth time did it sink in that he was fully in control and was just seeing what I would do and if he could knock me off line.

Gold medal for simplicity goes to a certain paddling buddy that sits right on the line of must make eddies in his Habitat (effectively making a wall) and then laughing his socks off when you get bounced back into the flow and take a beating or ending up running something you wanted to look at first!

After writing this I am wondering why I paddle with these people...noting it's funny if I do it to them...obviously. :-)

Bod

Post by Bod » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 am

If you stand in the Rabioux campsite and look way up high across the river you will see the archway of a bridge which carries a very minor road around the hillside. Although you feel you can almost touch it, you have to travel just beyond Embrun and all the way back up the river to get there. Must be an hour.

Andy (who was very kit proud) came back from paddling one day to find his pride and joy MTB suspended from that bridge. A dilemma ensued. What would happen to the bike during the long drive to get there? Would it still be there? I think Morsey got the blame.
John B.

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Finding a laarge truck wheel jack in the back of my boat on an overnight trip. Leaving a freind who swam stranded on a rock in the middle of a river while we had tea and a snack...

Boats in trees - stuff in boats - bung removal - food dye is always a classic.
White water "rider"

The Portage King

Post by The Portage King » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Following a week long Prankathon between our college and our Dublin neighbors UCD one New Years in Kerry, things reached a head when a senior member of our college left the pub one evening, broke into UCD's house, climbed into their loft and pi$sed in the watertank...

tomcrow99

Post by tomcrow99 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Where to begin...

My fave has to be the time when, on the Spean Gorge, my friend Fraggle got out to inspect something. As he disappeared round the corner I spotted a dead lamb floating in an eddy and knowing he hated dead things quickly tucked it behind the airbag in the back of his Spud. He knew something was wrong pretty quick but assumed we'd put a rock in there! As he pulled out his airbag and reached in he screamed like a girl and fell backwards into the river and refused to go back to his boat unless it was removed. The poor thing had been so crammed into the back end and looked like it was curled up asleep. Very, very funny...

Halox

Post by Halox » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:20 pm

We once put about half a bottle of shampoo in our friends skull cap, 1 week later it was dried into the material. When it got wet floods of suds washed over the guys face for ages.

He got me back good though. When I asked him to do up my zip a long the back of my drysuit all he done was run his nail along the zip to sound like he had done the zip up. Needless to say I got rather wet.

N/A

Post by N/A » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:41 pm

At the rafting Center ive just been working at the normal was polser (hot dogs) in peoples kit. split paddles are good or under the happy seat in a boat. as my mate found out when he got to Uganda after the session.

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:50 pm

Bod wrote:If you stand in the Rabioux campsite and look way up high across the river you will see the archway of a bridge which carries a very minor road around the hillside. Although you feel you can almost touch it, you have to travel just beyond Embrun and all the way back up the river to get there. Must be an hour.

Andy (who was very kit proud) came back from paddling one day to find his pride and joy MTB suspended from that bridge. A dilemma ensued. What would happen to the bike during the long drive to get there? Would it still be there? I think Morsey got the blame.
I know that bridge, we woke up one morning to find that somebody had suspended the campsite's sign from it. The campsite owner was absolutely raging and did not see the funny side at all. It soured relationships between Uni Groups and that campsite for some time afterwards.
Nick Mawer

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Anyone from the Preston Cowboys on here? I know Big Henry will know one of the perps of this incident. A member of Lancs Poly canoe club had a dead pheasant stuffed behind his airbags on a particularly freezing Tyne Tour. It took some quick thinking to prevent the owner of this boat taking it to a pool session with the obvious consequences. Unfortunately I was there at a Dee tour a week or two later when the owner of the boat remarked "F@~@@~ing hell - it smells like something's crawled up inside my boat and died" Nobody could keep a straight face, at which point the boats owner realised what had happened. "Revenge will be mine" he screamed, and scooping up bits of decomposing bird, he chased us round the car park throwing rotting flesh at anybody who was in range.

No wonder we get a bad reputation sometimes.
Nick Mawer

Strad

Post by Strad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:20 pm

I remember grabbing some wetsuits, intertwining and leaving them outside the tents after a day on the Dee tour, courtesy of the snowy weather we then had the fun of watching people try to defrost a pair of solid wetsuits over a camping stove :).

Another favourite was one chap I paddle with 'saving' a days worth of 'beer bottom' in his drysuit on a sunday paddle. On arrival at the end of the loop he jumped into a mini bus of people getting changed, broke the neck seal and vented the days botty belches into the van, all of a sudden a dozen half dressed people jumped out of said van while gagging and looking slightly ill. (strangely he chose a van that was predominantly female...:-) )
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Chaucer wrote:It soured relationships between Uni Groups and that campsite for some time afterwards.
We fixed that with some international relations by inviting Monsieur le Camping to a party in Brixton. He came, it was funny, after that he used to feed us home made, moonshine "Genepi" when we stopped at the gate. :-)

Bod, I did get the blame for hanging kit off the bridge, and they put my tent on the roof of the building as retort, but it wasn't me!! ;-)

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Back in the days when the Vango Force 10 Mk III was the standard tent, it used to be standard prank during boating weekends to allow the most inebriated to crash in their tent then turn the fly-sheet around.

Then have the amusement of watching someone struggle to exit a tent without a zipped door whilst suffering a raging hang-over and bursting bladder...

Boots

Post by Boots » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Whilst my boat( old style mountain bat) was on my suzuki jeep at work (building site) some stupid builder decided it would be fun to fill it with water while I was off site. At 5 oclock I set off home round the first bend ripped the roof rack off dinged the side of the van and dented the nose of the boat! Luckly nothing was coming the other way. So you can imagine the next morning..... he told me it had rained alot!! How many litres in a mountain bat?

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:58 pm

I worked with a lad once at PGL (VERY long time ago) who claimed he was a brillient climber and nothing phased him, afternoon he returned to his tent to find it not there, in its place was a note "Climb this to sleep"
His tent had been dismantled (Not an easy task for a tent made to be left up for 6+ months), carried to the top of an abseil tower and reassembled inside the scaffolding.
The scaffold tower was then locked so the only way up was to climb.
It took him a few hours to remove all his kit, take the tent down, return it all to the campsite and rebuild it.

I watched him throwing bits of kit off the tower all afternoon while I was on a kayak session on the near by lake. (I had to make it paddling related somehow)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”