Stoodent section?

Inland paddling
Mark R

Stoodent section?

Post by Mark R » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Apparently it was suggested at the student safety symposium that a 'student' forum would be useful.

Any thoughts on this? Persuade us, either way....
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Big Henry

Re: Stoodent section?

Post by Big Henry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Surely everything they would discuss would come under the forum titles that already exist? Also, I've quite often seen very pertinent replies to questions asked by students, given by ex-students (and non-students) who possibly would not have read the threads had they been in another section. This would end up with the same question in both sections, or questions not being answered.

Rhod

Post by Rhod » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Having only recently finished paddling with uni clubs (far too late) my thought are that it would be a great idea but only as an amalgamation of the other forums, with a student theme. In general most relevant information comes up here but doesn't stay up for long enough/not everyone might checks all the other forums.

A student theme could be:
Discounted courses for students.
Competitions for students.
Uni's looking for socials/paddling partners in other locations.
Other Events.
Uni paddling specific questions

In order to be in-keeping with the rest of UKRGB then it would still need to be moderated by some brave student volunteers. It would be a shame if it turned into a chit chat section/just somewhere to plug the latest boat.
Rhodri Anderson

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Rhod wrote: A student theme could be:
Discounted courses for students.
Competitions for students.
Uni's looking for socials/paddling partners in other locations.
Other Events.
Uni paddling specific questions
Also can be used for those who are wanting to find a university with a great paddling club to go with it.

So around septmber, you'll see lots of clubs showing off their clubs with some cool vids.
Ieuan :)

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:41 pm

I don't really see what would go in there that can't go on UKRGB in general... what I'd see as a risk is that university clubs without their own forum will use the UKRGB student forum as their forum, and make the student forum unfit for it's original purpose.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Tom Drake

Post by Tom Drake » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:40 pm

I certainly think there is scope for a student section, as something for student clubs to communicate with each other about what is going on in their different Universities and how to improve it, rather than internal affairs within their own club where we would use our own much smaller club forums. I was on the most recent student safety symposium last weekend, where the idea of getting in touch with Mark was suggested, as what was quite clear was that there's a lot of clubs which have certain issues that others may have the answers to!

Additionally as Rhod mentioned, there are a lot of paddlers looking to go on trips etc. and inevitably clubs have spare spaces! Also big inter uni socials are turning out to be quite popular.

Obviously it could be a flop but I'm sure quite a few people would find it quite useful.

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Mark R wrote:Apparently it was suggested at the student safety symposium that a 'student' forum would be useful.

Any thoughts on this? Persuade us, either way....
Wouldn't that be a... banter forum? :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Tom Drake

Post by Tom Drake » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Banter!

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Ieuan Belshaw wrote: [Also can be used for those who are wanting to find a university with a great paddling club to go with it.

So around septmber, you'll see lots of clubs showing off their clubs with some cool vids.
That would be very useful right now!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Can we have an over 40s forum too? It could desperately try to keep up with the student one, then occasionally, just occasionally, show them a really natty bit of posting that gives slim hope that being over 40 is still okay.
dave

biketastik

Post by biketastik » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 pm

A student forum would be a good idea for the specific inter club communication and student event things. Anything not exclusively open to students could and probably would still get put out on the other forum sections anyway? I think it's a good idea...

Hugh Graham

Post by Hugh Graham » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:54 pm

http://nspf.co.uk/

A friend of mine set this up a year ago, I think it could be really useful...

Hugh

RichA

Post by RichA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:30 am

I don't think there's a need. Like others have said, posts would be duplicated or it would just be idle banter. Nothing wrong with that, just I don't see a need for it.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 am

Tom Drake wrote:Banter!

B.Lowe

Post by B.Lowe » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 am

A student section could be usefull for discussing things related to student clubs; dealing with universitys, trip locations, BUCS events, providing correct coaching etc. Everything else could just go in the existing sections.

University clubs help make the canoe/ kayaking more accessible to many people and a lot of people who would never have thought aout doing it get involved. Look at NSR for example. Would be nice to have a section where people can talk about issues/ problems/ experiences they have had whilst boating at uni.

If nothing else it might draw people to the website who might not be aware of it already.
Ben Lowe

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Lowin8 wrote:it might draw people to the website who might not be aware of it already.
Interesting logic.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Don't think there's much point tbh. Everyone already has their own forum - which others can post on if they're in the area looking for boating too, or if trying to set up a student event/big social.

I would suggest that if anyone is having problems dealing with their Uni, the best advice is probably going to come form the main forum, where it's more likely that there'll be people who have dealt with similar things before.

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:30 pm

There are many valid reasons why there should be a student forum... the ones listed and probably the tip of the iceberg.

To be honest I could use some advice about our uni's athletic union but I dont feel it necessary to post this query on the main inland forum as I don't want major attention and opinions from everyone, just those who are in uni or have recently left.
Ieuan :)

lofty276

Post by lofty276 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:00 pm

I think if the National Student Paddle Forum,that was set up a little while ago, got more exposure it would become the perfect place for student discussion.

You can check here for general kayak banter and the NSPF site for student related kayak banter,
It works for the Thames Valley area, they have a whole other website and forum and for those of us that live in or around Thames valley and it's good to be able to check both, one for everything kayaking, and TVF for local and specific topics.

Rob

Harry Mellor

Post by Harry Mellor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Great idea - plus a subscription of about £9000 per annum would be highly appropriate.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:43 pm

I say they get a forum when they start paying tax. Work dodgers the lot of 'em.
Hanging around, partying, paddling the world, having fun while they are young... it's a disgrace, how dare they.

Jelous – moi?
dave

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 pm

If Kayak Anglers get a forum why don't students? Surely they do more for the sport.

Croft

Post by Croft » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Guess kayak anglers have to pay for both a kayak and a fishing rod, so probably don't have many readies left for paying for a forum?
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:38 am

Ieuan Belshaw wrote: I dont feel it necessary to post this query on the main inland forum as I don't want major attention and opinions from everyone,
Interesting angle. Is there any way I can filter out anyone under 25 from commenting on my posts?

Bod

Post by Bod » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 am

OK I have assessed the average age of the respondents on this thread. Mean is 34.5, median closer to 38 years. Any psychology stoodents available to tell us what this means?

Aside from that fact that we are all big kids...
John B.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:09 am

Sorry!

Oops, just put Bod's average up a bit.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:05 am

Ieuan Belshaw wrote:To be honest I could use some advice about our uni's athletic union but I dont feel it necessary to post this query on the main inland forum as I don't want major attention and opinions from everyone, just those who are in uni or have recently left.
I suggest you set up your own forum, with membership limited to those you deem to be acceptable. Good luck with it.
Steve Balcombe

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:15 am

There are topics which are of particular interest to students, just as there are topics of particular interest to women, disabled paddlers, paddlers who don't have a car, and so on and so forth. All of those are dealt with perfectly successfully in this *inclusive* forum by starting a thread on whatever the subject may be. Can anybody give me one example where the presence of people outside a particular special interest group has caused a problem?
Steve Balcombe

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:17 am

Angling?

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:51 am

What do you mean, "angling?"?
Steve Balcombe

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”