Boat advise - River running playboat

Inland paddling
mikeybaby

Boat advise - River running playboat

Post by mikeybaby »

Hello.

Lets say I'm 6'5", have a short back and long legs, size 12 feet and less than 15st. What boats are available in the used market (i.e. a few years old) which will suit me. Being able to wear footwear is important. Most boats I have tried in the past I need to paddle in just socks which is no good for portaging, walking to or from a river etc...

Adrian Cooper

Re: Boat advise - River running playboat

Post by Adrian Cooper »

How are you with a welding torch? A friend of mine with long legs and large feet cut his playboat all around the seam line and inserted a strip of plastic with an extra thickness at the ends. Worked well and performs a treat.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Have you got any pictures of that Adrian?

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

I am 6,1 and size 12 and own a old large Pyrhanan 4 twenty. i can get in with wetsuit boots on and last about 45-50 mins before my legs go dead.If i wear trainers i can jam my feet in but after 15-20 they have gone to sleep. If i use the playboat on a river journey (very rare these days as i will take a bigger comfy boat) but ill take my water trainers and tigh them in the back. Its a bit fidly but if there are sharp rocks or slippary surfaces its worth it and instead just wear wetsuit booties the rest of the time. The 4 twenty is fairly comfortable for me and with my weight and hight i can still make it pull ariael moves and surf well. Plenty around that are cheap as well! worth a thought.
Mark Thompson
(Outdoor Performance Coaching).

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

clarky999 wrote:Have you got any pictures of that Adrian?
Sorry, only on his Facebook. Next time I see him out on the water, I'll try to get a photo.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Jackson Superfun - 2007+ edition

How much are you looking to spend?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

mikeybaby

Post by mikeybaby »

£300 or less if possible

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

You should be able to pick up a Large Molan, I'm 6ft 4 and fit the medium with water shoes on. There are normally plenty in the private sales forum. Good luck!

kayakingcallum

Post by kayakingcallum »

HarryWats0n wrote:You should be able to pick up a Large Molan, I'm 6ft 4 and fit the medium with water shoes on. There are normally plenty in the private sales forum. Good luck!
thatl be no good im 6ft 7 size 12 feet and have the large molan i can only get in it with kevlar socks but i just keep sandals in the back for any long portages.

untill a week ago i had a ws fuse64 i could paddle that for about an hour with wetsuit boots on (palm gradient) and no footrests used to paddle it frequently on the mellte etc .great at running rivers in and will surf even the smallest of waves.
i should add i have 36" inside leg so combined with big feet i had to leave the footrests out .this was never an issue apart from when i messed up on bala mill falls pissing about and broke my right foot in 7 places hahaha

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”