New Director of Operations Works Wonders with BCU Database

Inland paddling
James F

New Director of Operations Works Wonders with BCU Database

Post by James F » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:41 am

I was thrilled and delighted to receive an invitation from the BCU, via the Chester based affinity credit card vendor, MBNA, in this morning's post.

The BCU's new Director of Operations needs a hearty slap on the back for such an imaginative first use of the BCU's new data mining tool on the database.

If I had have known my details were going to be used in this way, by such an appropriate third party, I probably would have signed up to the BCU twice.

Well done everyone.

nosnickid

Post by nosnickid » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:52 am

I too had this excellent piece of canoeing-related mail, despite being sure that I checked the various "don't use my information" checkboxes that the membership form surely had.

Rob_Roy

Post by Rob_Roy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:17 am

Yep, i got this in the post to.
Which considering i didn't renew my membership was a bit odd.

Wondergirl

Post by Wondergirl » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:28 am

maybe its black mail, if you don't renew your membership, they sell your details!!

(purely speculative )

hhzoombird

Post by hhzoombird » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:30 am

I was so pleased to have been added to the MNBA database, that I tore up all the bumf that came with it, added the random pizza fliers that came in the same post, and popped the lot in the 1st class prepaid envelope and posted it.

READER'S DIGEST

Post by READER'S DIGEST » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:05 pm

WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE

(Thanks, BCU)

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:17 pm

No doubt I'll have this in the post shortly too, how thrilling!

By the way, Mastercard have also sent me a new PIN number and no doubt the new card will also be on its way. Stupidly I assumed that when MBNA took over the BCU thing, my Mastercard account would cease to exist. I dont want both cards, and I'm not sure which one to cancel. The problem is, I dont really know much about MBNA and whether they are any good. Certainly tha bank of scotland Mastercard people have been a right royal pain in the rear, by refusing to accept that my wife is just as entitled to make changes to our account details as I am, but are MBNA any better?

The fact that the MBNA card has a little BCU symbol on it doesn't really add much to my decision about which card to keep.

Martin

CCL

Post by CCL » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:18 pm

Can I suggest that you take a leaf out the the Howies website advice re unsolicited mail?

http://www.howies.co.uk/think.php?id=6& ... nvironment

Claire ; )

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:21 pm

Very sneaky. I like it!

Martin

Phil.Dunn

Post by Phil.Dunn » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:16 pm

Can I suggest that you take a leaf out the the Howies website advice re unsolicited mail?
excellent idea! now where did i put that old acrobat.....

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:32 pm

Please don't do this!!!!! The Post Office are obliged to attempt delivery but the addressee is NOT obliged to accept it. I had a problem at work with stuff arriving with insufficient postage and the Post Office confirmed that we have the option of refusing it. So if you try this trick the Post Office will end up being the innocent victims.
Steve Balcombe

Alex4219

Junk Mail

Post by Alex4219 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:24 pm

Hello all,

By the way I am the devil and my job is broking names and addresses for companies like MBNA.

Not sure how the freepost system works, however I suspect that it is slightly different when sending mail on freepost rather than unpaid mail.

Howies MPS suggestion will work up to a certain extent and will stop names being passed between companies although this does not prevent companies mailing their own "customers" (which can be a loose term). Whist MPS is not legistlation the vast majority of mailiers (especally larger mailers, such as MBNA) will screen their lists prior to posting.

With regards to the BCU mailing, I would guess that as MBNA have formed a partnership with the BCU they can mail their customers who have not opted out of receiving relevant mail from the BCU (not necessarily third parties).

With regards to lapsed membership names. These will be almost as valuable from a marketing point of veiw, as the active members.

Kind regards,

Alex

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:01 pm

Ah, I didn't read it properly, I thought the idea was to send junk back with no postage. Freepost is different, I'm sure you're right.
Steve Balcombe

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:09 pm

But the recipient will certainly have to pay for a freepost letter properly posted. Even if you don't increase the weight it will still be a cost to them.

By the way, did I hear correctly that MBNA have just been bought by Bank of America? I don't want to be associated with a company from a country who actively invades other countries illegally. Yes I know it's remote and probably biggotted but there you are.

Adrian

James F

Post by James F » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:17 pm

MBNA is one of the largest credit card companies in the world. It is American. It is not an arm of the US Government. I am not sure whether or not it has recently become part of the Bank of America, regardless the Bank of America is not the same type of thing as the Bank of England.

boater rich

Post by boater rich » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:23 pm

If you ticked the box stating that you don't wish to be contacted by companies advertising services, etc, etc, does this not put the BCU in breach of the Data Protection Act?

Rich

Alex4219

opt-outs

Post by Alex4219 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:31 pm

"If you ticked the box stating that you don't wish to be contacted by companies advertising services, etc, etc, does this not put the BCU in breach of the Data Protection Act?"

Technically yes, although people have a tendency of making this accusation based on what they would have usually done upon seeing an opt-out box, rather than a recollection of filling in that particular form.

Also, it seems that the BCU have set-up a partnership with MBNA to offer customers / members credit and if this is the case then they would be marketing their own product to customers meaning that this would come under separate legislation. (Unless there was a opt-out box relating to communications from the BCU aswell as third parties).

Kind regards,

Alex

Tim T.

Post by Tim T. » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm

Better scrap that perception boat then Adrian!

Ed Hopper

Look around yourself

Post by Ed Hopper » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:01 pm

By the way, did I hear correctly that MBNA have just been bought by Bank of America? I don't want to be associated with a company from a country who actively invades other countries illegally. Yes I know it's remote and probably biggotted but there you are.

Adrian
Adrian, you're a good man but have you (recently) checked which country it is that you and your family of Coopers are living in?

If you think the USA illegally invades other countries then I suggest that your tarring brush might just apply to us as well.

Hey presto, you're in big trouble when it comes to selecting where you go shopping for your tea tonight.

Ethics-smethics.

Laters,

Ed.

P.S. Still, well done BCU for finally finding a useful way of raising money. Do you think they could be convinced to sell members' children as well?

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:39 pm

The easiest way to stop it is to not buy the stuff. Having worked for a company that did alot of this kind of thing it would, on average, get a reponse rate several times higher than the break even point for the promotion. So if you were them what would you do?

Ed Hopper

Noblocks

Post by Ed Hopper » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:25 am

The easiest way to stop it is to not buy the stuff.
Nonsense Chris.

That relies on EVERYBODY not buying the stuff. If one or two baffoons who recieve this unsolicited rubbish reply then I (for my trouble) will continue to recieve this rubbish and that's after I spend a lot of time ticking boxes saying "DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING" on everything I sign up to.

Thanks BCU. Thanks a great big bunch.

Laters,

Ed.

P.S. I'm not even a current member! I think we should all e-mail the BCU telling them to cease selling our details to commercial companies. How would we do this?

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:55 am

Just to play a bit of devils advocate, but I am a BCU member, but I haven't received the said piece of mail, does this mean that I sucessfully ticked the bor requesting no further info?
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:04 pm

Just to play a bit of devils advocate, but I am a BCU member, but I haven't received the said piece of mail, does this mean that I sucessfully ticked the bor requesting no further info?
Do you have a credit card with the BCU logo on it?

Martin

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:15 pm

In answer to Martins question, no. There is also no reason why I would be blacklisted for finnacial reasons either.
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:29 pm

James,

The reason we are receiving this junk mail is because we all applied for a Mastercard (and now MBNA) with BCU on it several years ago. Its the bank's fault that we are now receiving junk mail, and not really anything to do with the BCU. If you didn't have the Mastercard, you wont have got the form to fill in from MBNA and consequently wont have even had the opportunity to forget to tick the box like we have.

Martin

JF nli

Post by JF nli » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:24 pm

I didn't apply for one.

The most likely reason that James did not receive an invitation from the BCU/MBNA is that the SAS software that MBNA uses in their marketing department decided that James did not match the profile of the type of customer they wanted to attract (no offence).

I am thinking about buying a conservatory. Can anyone recomend a trustworthy supplier?

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:41 pm

Nor did I ever apply for one, but I got the junk mail.

I have to say I don't understand what all this fuss is about. If you object to the BCU earning a commission on members' credit card purchases then say so and explain why. If not, how the hell do you expect them to tell members about it without sending out a mailshot? If you don't want it, bin it.
Steve Balcombe

Ed Hopper

Post by Ed Hopper » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 pm

The point is that the BCU should NOT be selling on our details to any old bunch of credit card shylocks who pass across their threshold thinking to themselves "I know, everyone keeps telling us to rod off when we ask if they want to be mailed bundles of crap, why don't we approach this innocent seeming membership supported collective and see if we can offer them £100 or some such pittance in order to continue our evil money lending wrongdoing. Heh heh heh."

Obviously, I have not applied for a Mastercard as I use VISA.

Laters,

Ed.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:47 pm

Ed Hopper wrote:... bunch of credit card shylocks ... bundles of crap ... pittance ... evil money lending ...
Ed, I support your right to put forward any view you wish, as long as it is sincere, logical and consistent.
... I use VISA.
Ah.
Steve Balcombe

ChrisMac

Re: Noblocks

Post by ChrisMac » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:49 pm

Ed Hopper wrote:
The easiest way to stop it is to not buy the stuff.

That relies on EVERYBODY not buying the stuff. If one or two baffoons who recieve this unsolicited rubbish reply then I (for my trouble) will continue to recieve this rubbish and that's after I spend a lot of time ticking boxes saying "DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING" on everything I sign up to.

Very true, its called direct marketing and its very cheap and very effective. So until it either becomes expensive, not very effective, or a cheaper more effective way is found then the stuff will continue to land on your door mat.

The only 1 the public can influence is the effectiveness option so dont buy from them.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”