Connect 30 outfitting

Post by lewis=) »

Hi

I am looking a the Karnali by Pyranha
is the connect 30 spec worth the extra £250 quid over the rapid spec

denchy1

Re: Connect 30 outfitting

Post by denchy1 »

Depends what you plan to use it for and how much of your own outfitting you plan to add, Then main differences are the grab loops and the lack of a ratchet backband (you could always fit an IR one which is much better than the Pyranha offering anyway. Although you may be able to get some good discount on a connect 30 as it no longer appears to be a current line on the Pyranha website. It really boils down to whether you need bomber grab handles or not.

biketastik

Post by biketastik »

I think the cureent connect 30 (the black one) is good, I borrowed a burn from one of the members of our club (surf weekend on the gower and we decided to do the mellt since it was running but i didnt have a boat...) and was impressed with how much better it was than the old syncro 6 (in my dad's burn), I think it probably isn't worth £250 but having a ratchetting backband is very good but you can get the Jackson system (rope and cleats) which is excellent for a fifth of that price from Jackson and It's easier to use and doesn't rust like ratchets because theirs no metal parts, the rope doesnt decay either (i think it's marine grade or something).

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

The connect 30 is not just all about the back band, the security bar and grab handles ae different, as is the seat and thigh grip construction. Class 1-2 sure use the basic spec, but when you start pushing the grades and I would not want to be in a basic spec kayak - would you/

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

woody

Post by woody »

purelandexpeditions.com wrote:but when you start pushing the grades and I would not want to be in a basic spec kayak - would you?
I personally think that I can get a much better fit from applying an excess of glue and foam, and I prefer it over the modern systems. It's a totally personalised fit. But then I'm old skool. It does take time and effort. A good ratchet backband however, is worth some cash.

If you only want the boat for you personally to paddle then I would buy the cheaper spec. It's hard to adjust foam to fit anybody else if more than one person is paddling it.

Woody
Rain rain we want rain

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

Woody, you are correct about the fit with custom foam. I was trying to say that the basic broach loops and end grabs will not but able to cope with a tension wrap in the same way that the connect bars do. The breaking point of the more basic spec is weak the connect 30 is built for the job. If you boat need a rescue will you trust the basic bars? Under load? Again all depends on what water your on.

Paddle safe.

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

lewis=)

Post by lewis=) »

Mmm it would just be me paddling but the stronger rescue points are something to consider, what does everyone think of the older style syncro 6 out fitting ? how does it differ from the rapid & connect out fitting ?

biketastik

Post by biketastik »

I've used both and the main difference for me was the hip pads, the new connect 30 ones give far more allround your leg support than the old syncro ones, theyve also taken to sticking foam on the inside of the hull behind them which gives extra support, that was the most significant improvement in my oppinion.

lewis=)

Post by lewis=) »

So I could in theory pad them about out a bit or replace them alltogether relatively easily ?

biketastik

Post by biketastik »

I cant see why not.

Chris C

Post by Chris C »

The Syncro range was the predecessor to Connect 30 so will be similar and will be a lot stronger than rapid spec, if you are thinking of changing the security bars grab loops and adding connect 30 style padding inside then I would just get the more expensive version and at least you will have more peace of mind if you paddle above the 2-3 range. If you just paddle 1-2 then sure the rapid would be ok but anything more I personally would go for the full outfitting

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

Hi Lewis
Just read your post. If it helps Robin Hood watersports near Leeds have got the The Karnalis for £599 at the moment in Connect 30. A good Price and Great Boat.

Check them out: 01924 444 888

www.roho.co.uk - Their website seems to be down at the mo though.

Cookie

lewis=)

Post by lewis=) »

Cheers Cookie

six hundred bucks is well over what i wanted to spend

biketastik

Post by biketastik »

look on the private sales bit of this forum then, u can easily find a boat in your price band

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”