Are we getting tighter when it comes to 2nd hand kit?

Inland paddling
wezzzy

Are we getting tighter when it comes to 2nd hand kit?

Post by wezzzy »

I recently tried to sell my boat in the "Private Sales" pages, I know we all like a bargain but are some of us (UKRGBers) just taking the ****?

I bought my 3rd boat after seeing it advertised for £700 (2010 Burn, used 3 times on the sea), I thought I'd put in a cheeky offer of £600 as I didn't really need a new one and it was a long way to collect. To my surprise he accepted and I picked up the boat 2 days later.

When I tried selling my boat I was contacted by various people, some with reasonable offers (£50 below what I was loooking for), some with cheeky offers (£100 below what I was looking for) but some were downright rediculous offers (£400 below what I was looking for)

Are we getting too tight to pay a fair price for kit?
Are auction sites the best way of getting the price we are looking at?

(This isn't to drum up interest in a boat I'm selling as I sold it on ebay last week)

clarky999

Re: Are we getting tighter when it comes to 2nd hand kit?

Post by clarky999 »

Or you have unrealistic expectations? I don't know, how much were you asking?

I wouldn't expect a used Burn to sell for much more than £450. However there are often adverts on here asking for more than you can get a brand new boat for from a shop (whether sales or 'valued customer' discounts).

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

I was told that £550 would be a good price, maybe £600 "if you're lucky" by 2 stores (They quoted private sales, not store price) so I was saying £600 but open to offers, I recieved offers of £150, £200, £300, £325, £400 and £500.
Maybe the 2 stores advised a price too high for UKRGB buyers but offers of £150-£325 were more than "cheeky".

I decided to go down the ebay route and in the end I am glad I did.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

People will always try a cheeky offer, especially when a boats been up for sale for a while.
It's always difficult with river runners to put a price on them, they are expensive to buy new, but many of the second hand boats are being sold because in the not too distant future they won't be fit for purpose.
That said, I've seen some complete rot being sold on ebay recently for good money, suckers.

But as the saying goes, somethings only worth what people are willing to pay.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

EZ

Post by EZ »

It depends on the condition of said used boat. Photos are not enough to be able to judge this well.

Personally as its had two previous owners I would be looking at offering less than £500 as you have no idea what has happened to it. As Clarky said if you get more than £450, you've done well.

You buy a creek boat for peace of mind so when buying a second hand one I need to be pretty confident that the nose hasn't been reheated and pushed out, which if done well is difficult to tell. And whatever you say people just aren't honest about that, I've seen a couple of boats that have been sold to people on the premise that its in perfect condition only to hold it up to the sun and find out the nose has been pushed back out or even welded.

I brought a new dagger CFS for around £450-500 from a shop a few years ago, (ok quite a few years ago now) it didn't have all the bells and whistles of a burn or nomad but its a proven design, perfectly adequate for what I wanted to do at the time (it kept me safe in Norway) and it was a new boat from a shop so I could trust it not to disintegrate the first time I took it out on a river. I was looking at second hand boats at the time and couldn't find anything for less than 450 and thought I'd rather have something new for peace of mind.

The shops suggestion of £550 - £600 for your boat is ambitious but not impossible, based more on the rrp and probably what they would expect to sell it for through the shop second hand.

£100-200 is a bit silly, but I've seen them go for £350 before. I didn't bid on it by the way as I have a new boat.

Looking at the for sale section of this forum, I think sellers expectations for used kit are generally overly ambitious...............
I also think that prices for new boats are far far too high for what your getting.

I am guilty of selling boats on ebay for more than I thought they were worth, but its an auction site so people pay what they are happy with.

Strad

Post by Strad »

I would have thought that buying a boat for £600 and expecting to sell it for the same price to be a little unrealistic unless you've only had it for a very short time and haven't paddled it on any thing other then flat water...

Boats devalue with use and over time, others have given more realistic expectations??
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

woody

Post by woody »

I reckon that forum prices are always a bit lower than ebay. It's the same on Singletrackworld for bike stuff. Regarding value, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and also depends on how badly you need to get it sold. £600 sounds way too much for a two owner, if it's in average condition. Even if it's in good condition, who's going to pay all that extra when they can just find a little bit extra cash, get a little discount and buy new, with all the warranties and service that you get? Second hand buyers tend to be looking for a bargain.

Woody
Rain rain we want rain

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

I bought a second hand molan for £600 yesterday (perhaps a little steep, but it was in brilliant condition). I paddled it last night. Would probably expect to get £475-£550 for it tomorrow...
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Coming at it from a slightly different way...
• Plastic only lasts for a few years before going brittle [Let's give it 5 years]
• Even an old banged up boat has a value [Let's call it 50 quid]
• You pay a premium for new [say instant depreciation of 15%]

That means you take the new price of the boat [a grand for easy maths]
Instantly knock 15% off.
Leave a residual value after 5 years of 50 quid.
That leaves 800 quid to be evenly split over each year up to then.

My head hurts now... coffee time.
dave

mpooleman

Post by mpooleman »

wezzzy wrote:some were downright rediculous offers (£400 below what I was looking for)..................
Are we getting too tight to pay a fair price for kit?
You get this selling anything, anywhere on the internet in my experience. Most things I have sold on ebay with a Buy it Now I have had silly offers for - but have sold for their full buy it now after a couple of days.

I think its just because its not face to face people just have a punt.
Mark Pooleman

buck197

Post by buck197 »

To turn it round are sellers expecting too much and taking the pish. I would not pay 600 notes for second hand burn when for a couple of hundred more I could get new. Best of luck with your sale and prove me wrong. Lol
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

cj

Post by cj »

We are also dealing with constantly changing styles and new models bought out by the manufactures. Same for surf boards, camera and similiar products. The latest kayaks / models leave the feeling that last years boat had something not quite right with it but this years "better bouyancy distribution" has fixed the problem.

It's all a game. You have to be realistic as many have stated. Once you "drive your boat off the forcourt " it looses depreciation at a staggering rate.

I have sold quite alot of kit on this site including a boat. You have to make your sale attractive to the buyer, that's a fact of life. Around 50 to 70% of the original value is a about right. Get it sold. Buy the next boat or what ever, that you fancy. Keep your interest in kayaking stimulated with new / different kit.Try something different. It's fun, get over it!!

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

For the record on this site I've sold a burn that was a couple of years old for £435 a few years ago, and last year sold a one year old nomad for £450. I reckon those prices are pretty spot on, definitely in line with what I'd consider paying. If it wasn't for the fact I'm not keen on buying a creekboat second hand anyway.

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

I knew £600 would be too much and didnt expect that much but its somewhere to start the haggling from, Its a great game that should be played more often.
"£600? You must be joking, I'll give you £350 and a pack of mints", "£350? Does it look stolen? Give me £500 and keep the mints" etc, etc, etc.

I tried selling it on here for many reasons, the main one being that most on here are paddlers and some know what they are talking about. From what I have seen most people are honest about the boats they sell and won't try and cover up any knocks, bangs, folds or welds, while ebay is full of bashed and battered boats being sold to people who don't know if the boats is safe on any moving water or even flat.

After talking to a few other people I know I was asking a bit too much for the Burn and should have taken the £500 offer (Luckily I didn't as I got more on ebay), the bloke who bought it admitted he was new to the sport and only went for the Large Burn as he knew he could fit into it.

No matter who I sold it to or the place I sold it I would not feel comfortable selling anything that I thought was dangerous.

Kayakingrick

Post by Kayakingrick »

It also depends on damage to kit etc.

If i ever have to sell a kayak on ebay, I always put a reserve on it so bidders know that`s the minimum I would accept and this would also cover some of the ebay fees.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

If your setting your price for someone to haggle you're inviting the sales game.

Several of the last boats I've sold have had little pubes asking me what I'd accept or worse they ask if the price is negotiable! Ultimately they then go on to use 'power of the pause', by sending a one line email and not stating what they would offer leaving the seller to magically think up a new, revised price.

You situation seems even worse as with an offer £400 less, they seem to think youre Moroccan...

My advice is post it for what it's worth and when people come haggling, tear them to shreds or have some fun winding them up.
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”