River Barle Re-opened

Inland paddling
Fenris

River Barle Re-opened

Post by Fenris » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 pm

It looks as though the access problem has been resolved on the Barle.

http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/v ... -the-barle

Just make sure you book your place!

Jim Pullen

Re: River Barle Re-opened

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 pm

So canoeing only above 0.50m at the gauge, only between 15th October - 31st March and limited to 30 people per day.

Yep that's progress(!)

I'd suggest everyone does as they have for the last few years and continue to paddle whenever water levels allow.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 pm

It never shut.

slaughter950

Post by slaughter950 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:38 pm

The English access laws are just pathetic.
Adam Slaughter.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Thought someone had resurrected a thread from ten years ago.
Just paddle if it's running...
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 pm

Fenris wrote:Just make sure you book your place!
I'd love to believe this was written in jest.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm not going near it regardless. Not much fun to paddle, and my last paddle there in 2008 included a nasty incident with a tree which really put me off the river.
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:58 pm

The involvement of the National Park in promoting these restrictions - it's not an access agreement, it's a set of restrictions - is a total disgrace.

Presumably no paddlers were involved in arranging these restrictions...?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

storm

Post by storm » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Definatly going to be really helpful to all the buisness in Dulverton that really like to see all paddlers over the winter period,im sure the national park will soon be implementing the 30 walkers,the 30 moutain bikers etc,this is discrimanation and an absolute joke just get on and paddle.
Steve

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Nothing to do with BCU SW then? Glad to hear it.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Mark R wrote:
Presumably no paddlers were involved in arranging these restrictions...?
Says it is supported by Exmoor Canoe Club!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Astonishing. Is it still 1986 in Somerset?

http://www.exmoorcanoeclub.org.uk/index ... 9&Itemid=3

Pete - can you clarify the role of BCU SW in cooking up these restrictions? They are saying different things to you about your role/ attitude.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Mark R wrote:
Fenris wrote:Just make sure you book your place!
I'd love to believe this was written in jest.
Yes Mark, it was! I was trying to be ironic. This 'agreement' is inferior to the one it supposedly replaces. I'm appalled that a local canoe club has supported it, though from the posts on their website it does appear to have divided them a bit. I can't see any of the people I paddle with asking anyone for permission.

Jen

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:57 pm

I suggest if you want to paddle the Barle on the 29th October, you'd better book one of the 30 places quickly as Exmoor Canoe Club are running a "Blaze the Barle" race for their club on their river and it may be busy. ;-)

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:45 am

Mark R wrote:The involvement of the National Park in promoting these restrictions - it's not an access agreement, it's a set of restrictions - is a total disgrace.
It is highly likely that this method of river access management will be pushed a lot by both the conservation lobby, whether governmental or private interest, where they will see this approach as a fair compromise for all sides.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:26 am

Nice one Exmoor Canoe club! What damage are we going to do to any wild life that anglers do not do? Is this the way forward for access. Do we in Plymouth arrange an access arrangement for the Erme without consultation with others?
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:16 am

So a local canoe club has signed up to a deal that will mean no paddling on a river for the majority of the year just so they can run courses on it without any whinging from the fisherman, not caring that this puts anyone who wants to paddle the river at any other time on the back foot.

Well done ECC, enjoy your river.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:17 am

Simon Westgarth wrote:It is highly likely that this method of river access management will be pushed a lot by both the conservation lobby, whether governmental or private interest, where they will see this approach as a fair compromise for all sides.
This ''method of river access management'' was rejected by the canoeing community and, I understood, by its NGBs several years ago. Just waiting for the BCU policy statement to catch up.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 am

Mark R wrote:Astonishing. Is it still 1986 in Somerset?

I can't believe I am reading these well rehearsed arguments after so long, it's like deja vu. I'm guessing that the powers that be in Exmoor Canoe Club are secretly ashamed of themselves.

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 am

I don't see the problem... I never see more than 30 canoes on a river per day at the moment..

I'm just glad I'm a kayaker! ;)

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 am

Mark R wrote:The involvement of the National Park in promoting* these restrictions - it's not an access agreement, it's a set of restrictions - is a total disgrace.
Does this attitude go to show that we don't really want national parks at all, or that if we do that we have failed to understand the concept?

For a national park to really make a difference it would need far greater powers than any of ours have, or ever can have since our country is so highly populated. The national parks as they stand are a bit of a joke, and that leads us down the route of not accepting restrictions placed by them. To be true national parks they would have to have complete power to restrict anythign that is not specifically sanctioned by them (impossible with so much privately owned land within each boundary) in which case we would need to revise our thinking. My experience elsewhere in the world suggests that real national parks would tend to permit paddling except in really sensitive areas, or areas which they consider to be too dangerous (liability concern).

In my view it is not that a national park should be able to create restrictions that is a disgrace, but the wishy washy nature of our national parks in that they have to capitulate to the wishes of the private population within their boundaries, which is the disgrace. It is the fact that the restrictions are highly unlikely to be on conservation grounds, but rather on the basis of placating private concerns that is the disgrace.

I have already made my views known about camping restrictions on the east shore of Loch Lomond (I support the parks motives since they are conservation driven for a change) but I am intrigued to find out whether it would make a difference to paddlers standpoint if it were apparent that restrictions such as the Barle agreement, were actually based on conservation rather than pressure from landowners?

Do we support some restrictions if based on good conservsation principles - or not?

*It is noted that Mark views the park as promoting, not creating this particular restriction

SWPaddler

Post by SWPaddler » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:53 am

Please may I clarify something from Jim Pullen's post? It is not Exeter Canoe Club that is planning a Blaze the Barle event on 29 October. That event is being organised by Exmoor Canoe Club according to their website.

Many thanks

Jane
Exeter Canoe Club

Tony Aiuto

Post by Tony Aiuto » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:49 pm

I will have nothing to do with this ridiculous "Agreement". I can't believe that any paddler would!

I have paddled this river every year and will continue to do so without anyone's "permission", if I consider the conditions environmentally sound I will paddle.

I hope that the BCU had nothing to do with this "Agreement"
Tony Aiuto

shanclan

Post by shanclan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:23 pm

If the BCU access campaign has any relevance then it should publicly repudiate this restriction. That isn't going to happen, ergo......

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:41 pm

SWPaddler wrote:Please may I clarify something from Jim Pullen's post? It is not Exeter Canoe Club that is planning a Blaze the Barle event on 29 October. That event is being organised by Exmoor Canoe Club according to their website.

Many thanks

Jane
Exeter Canoe Club
Apologies for the defamation - I've edited my post to Exmoor!

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:I suggest if you want to paddle the Barle on the 29th October, you'd better book one of the 30 places quickly as Exmoor Canoe Club are running a "Blaze the Barle" race for their club on their river and it may be busy. ;-)
I'm surprised no-one has suggested it yet, but would this be a good date for a mass paddle! That'll teach 'em for making "agreements"/restrictions for everyone so they can benefit!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:06 pm

The Blaze the Barle event does not run through the 'disputed' section of the river; it starts just up from Dulverton. The area where access was contested earlier was 'Three Ways' where a new landowner owns both banks. (as I understand it)

GRM

Post by GRM » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Mark R wrote:Astonishing. Is it still 1986 in Somerset?

I can't believe I am reading these well rehearsed arguments after so long, it's like deja vu. I'm guessing that the powers that be in Exmoor Canoe Club are secretly ashamed of themselves.
Disgusted, rather than ashamed, and I resigned from their committee as a result. It is unfortunate that a few weak individuals, led by someone who I feel is somewhat arrogant and misguided, have given the impression that all members of ECC support this agreement.

I've said my piece here:

Geoff

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:So canoeing only above 0.50m at the gauge, only between 15th October - 31st March and limited to 30 people per day.

Yep that's progress(!)

I'd suggest everyone does as they have for the last few years and continue to paddle whenever water levels allow.
Is that 30 canoes on every river running? Seems odd that we'll be booking rivers in Yorkshire, etc with Exmoor National Park folk, but I guess they know what they are doing.....
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

m_kittle

Post by m_kittle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:56 pm

So if paddling is only allowed between 15th October - 31st March and limited to 30 people per day does that mean fishing is only allowed between 1st April and 14th October and also limited to 30 fishers per day?