Kit donations for new start up club?

Inland paddling
lofty276

Kit donations for new start up club?

Post by lofty276 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:59 am

Hi There,
I’m looking for any kit that people would be willing to donate as I’m looking to increase membership base at a Kayak club my friends and I are trying to start.

We are a bunch of white water paddlers that regularly paddle at Lee Valley and in North Wales when we can. At the moment we all have our own gear, but we keep finding more and more people turning up to our pool sessions at our local pool. There are boats and paddles available but only a couple of decks and so when it comes to teaching them to roll it’s a case of swapping between everyone and lending spare gear. Which can be frustrating as they can’t all practice at the same time and have to wait around for there turn.

Now there are a number of people that we’d like to take out on weekend trips but are held back on numbers because of the lack of gear between us.

So I’m asking if anybody has any old gear they’d be willing to give to a good home. Don’t mind if it’s damaged as I’m pretty good on the old repair side on things, anything will be considered, we’re not a fussy bunch.

Thanks in adavnace

Rob

(can be found at Lee Valley most weekends, in a blue Bliss Stick Smoothy, blue palm cag, blue helmet...... yeah I like blue)

scottdog007

Re: Kit donations for new start up club?

Post by scottdog007 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Wow another new club! There must be at least 2 in that area. Herts Canoe Club, and Edmonton Canoe Club, Herts Young Mariners Base (HYMB), and Boldock can't be far away. Oh that's more than 2.

lofty276

Post by lofty276 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Scottdog,

We are based in Chelmsford, Essex. I'm aware there are plenty of clubs around, we all live in Chelmsford we meet at our local pool once a week and that’s how we all know each other.
Chelmsford Canoe Club, doesn't cater for our white water interest and have been giving me the cold shoulder in terms of growing that side of the club so we decided to go it alone and use our membership money to pursue our own interests rather than a racing clubs. I just wanted to see if the canoe/kayak community would be able to help us out.

Rob
Riverside Kayakers

rjbinns

Post by rjbinns » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 pm

In theory couldn't you set up 'Chelmsford KAYAK Club' and get money from the council?

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:24 am

I got rid of a 12 year old Pyranha 'Storm' 2 months ago, just needed to clear the garage so I put it on 'Freecycle'.

May be it is worth putting a wanted list on Freecycle or even Gumtree. I got a brand spanking new dishwasher that works a treat off freeserve. I was thinking of giving you a paddle I don't use, but then a mate broke his on LVWWC. So as much as I hate this paddle I guess I should keep it in case I break mine.

lofty276

Post by lofty276 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the handy hints Scottdog, I'l check out freecycle, I've used it in the past too, never thought about it's kayaking potentional!!

And yeah I've always kept old my old gear, like you say could come in handy should the unforeseen happen, and is good for when your mates want to get involved, just wish I had more spare kit, then we wouldn't be making this plea haha.

Rob
Riverside Kayakers

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”