Selling your soul; was it worth it?

Inland paddling
SwamP

Selling your soul; was it worth it?

Post by SwamP »

Firstly I hate Facebook, it’s full of all my mates who have companies working in outdoor sports and are living the dream, students and bums who are where we were, or worse, it’s full of my mates who don’t have their own companies as they’re far too inept, they simply wander about aimlessly, near a river, and still manage to eat, drink, stay alive and wake up in different country every few years.

Then you do the math, and realise that number is actually only about 10 numpties. There’s a few middle-ground-muppets working in minimum wage jobs thinking of going boating round the world and thinking of setting up their own outdoor sport companies…but not quite there yet,,,, OR haven’t done the dreaded last option…SELLING YOUR SOUL!

So, to the W/E Warriors, given that anyone of us at pretty much any age can sit on a raft, safety boat and turn pishy wetsuits the right way round whilst travelling around the usual suspect countries…

What made you sell your soul; and was it worth it?

Caveat – this is for banter… ;)

Ryan
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

eeonz

Re: Selling your soul; was it worth it?

Post by eeonz »

I'm not sure quite what you're getting at here, whether you mean sponsored paddlers, or anyone working full-time in the outdoor adventure industry. All i'd say is that you hear this said a lot:

"We could be stuck in an office right now..."

Admittedly, it has less effect when all of your group capsize at the same time/your waterproofs have wetted out/ all of your group's tents have flown away in a sandstorm.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

morsey

Post by morsey »

Flooding along a swollen river, tormenting through swirls and careering over cascades. Kayakers rush over, I sat by the river, pulled out my guitar and sang a sweet verse. With a whoosh Nature appeared and to the clap of booming thunder I was sold right down the river. Being made of muscle and blood I fought long and hard to keep head above water whilst tumbling over falls and rapids. Upon drifting to the side I struggled up the bank and was coated from head to toe in mud, at this point Nature could no longer see me as I merged with the background. Evading back to civilisation an endowment was set up to repay Nature and release my soul. Civilisation, however, was far from safe from gaze. At every turn, sniping advocates popped up, tempting and stealing souls from all and sundry. One day the urge to venture to a river was overwhelming and, laughing in the face of the fear, I set my boat upon the water once more. It was early morning and as the Sun rose in the distance over the city, the darting ghosts of Beelzebub could be seen taking shelter in the shadowy buildings. All of a sudden the sun set a spot light directly down on my craft, I gasped! And, prepared myself to meet destiny face to face. The rays burned and then erupted across the river and illuminated the entire valley in a crescendo of colour and beauty, for a brief moment Nature smiled and then relaxed to the toil of routine tending all the creatures and plants. I had been tricked, it was not Nature who tried to take my soul, but the Devil incarnation.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

I want some of whatever Morsey is taking ;)

S.P.

Post by S.P. »

On a theme,while i was playing guitar for money i saw an eagle fly from a mountain,it flew between the sun and myself burning its silhouette into my mind.I believed.I travelled further that road,to the edge.Here i saw the trading of souls .......Look for the positives in this life you have. Harry Palmer

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

morsey wrote:Flooding along a swollen river, tormenting through swirl... Being made of muscle and blood... Evading back to civilisation an endowment was set up... Civilisation, however, was far from safe from gaze... the darting ghosts of Beelzebub...
Say what?
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

nomorfkindhalbhat

Post by nomorfkindhalbhat »

Hey..........Is there anyone else out there whose cheese has slid of their cracker ...........or you don,t row with both your oars in the water, then feel free to contribute to this thread, hey if you don,t buy a ticket you can,t win the raffle right ? so what have you got to loose, Hell even a broken clock is right twice a day, but what the hell im not paid enough to worry, just look concerned ! Now can anyone direct me to the local assylm, my dwarf is on fire.

hardy

Post by hardy »

Again,i also am not sure what you are getting at.That said,i am bored ,so will try an answer.

Not being a computer person i find Facebook a necessity regarding what local boaters are up to.I really don't like using it either,so i just set my soul on the mantlepiece,with a cloth over it,whilst scrolling over the choss,looking for information.
Yes it pisses me of when i see other peoples' oppertunities.It can be lonely to when nobody wants the same stuff as you at the same time.Then i "X" out,decloth the soul and retrieve it,look around at my life and realise how lucky i am.

Well...most of the time.

roo

Post by roo »

First up - I love reading your posts. Always an issue somewhere, and not afraid to talk about it. Don't know that I could handle a night in a quiet bar with you tho'......
SwamP wrote:
So, to the W/E Warriors, given that anyone of us at pretty much any age can sit on a raft, safety boat and turn pishy wetsuits the right way round whilst travelling around the usual suspect countries…
I have assumed you mean that by selling our souls we have chosen to work in the corporate world rather than fully commiting to the boating lifestyle? If not please explain, cos I think a number of people reading this forum have no idea what you are burbling about.
SwamP wrote:

Ryan
Isn't it all about banter?

So - Why did I sell my soul?

Let me ask you this? Are you a "Kayaker/paddler/boater" - Discuss & choose the word that most closely associates with your formative years or participation in this wonderful activity.

I beleive I am a kayaker - but the facebookers you alude to would suggest otherwise right now.

Have fun
Roo x

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

roo wrote:Always an issue somewhere, and not afraid to talk about it. tho'......
A fat little virgin raftguide I kindly tried to get a job once mentioned that I’m always looking to cause trouble…or uneducated words to that effect.

This is a forum, so if people are in constant agreement with each other (facebooks ‘like’ button) then why post?
Or should my next post be “Yippeee who likes water? Yaaaay, post here friends if you like water”….the replies would be sooo interesting my super dooper buddies wouldn’t they just ;)

Judging a forum user on his/her posts is a reflection on you, not them…this is, after all, just banter derived from boredom.

In the real world me causing trouble is laughable…unless ten years ago you we’re a doctor, or lawyer or were just generally rich with a 19yo daughter…
roo wrote:Don't know that I could handle a night in a quiet bar with you
What and where are there quiet bars you speak of? What purpose do they serve and why would one frequent them?
Nah just joking, I drink with boaters once a year and the rest of the time I’m with my mates…who don’t know what a kayak is, or that I’ve ever sat in one.
roo wrote:I beleive I am a kayaker
I’m nothing. In that as soon as you’re very good at something and therefore categorised in it, it means you’re very bad at something else and therefore overall, you suck! BNIAGW…ahem…

You got it spot on though. I was just thinking how many of the most talented boaters with higher natural talent than many of the ‘names’, now have real jobs, families and non-kayak lifestyles who at most get out boating 50 days in a year and a holiday if they’re lucky.

Unlike most other sports, ours is so simple that anyone can realistically travel the world and earn money from it. Talented, unskilled, fat, thin, strong weak, young or old…you can feed and board yourself worldwide for a lifetime.

So for the guys who’ve turned their back on that option…was it worth it?

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I blame Ted Piper and Dan Heyworth :-)
SwamP wrote:Firstly I hate Facebook, it’s full of all my mates who have companies working in outdoor sports and are living the dream, students and bums who are where we were, or worse, it’s full of my mates who don’t have their own companies as they’re far too inept, they simply wander about aimlessly, near a river, and still manage to eat, drink, stay alive and wake up in different country every few years.

Then you do the math, and realise that number is actually only about 10 numpties. There’s a few middle-ground-muppets working in minimum wage jobs thinking of going boating round the world and thinking of setting up their own outdoor sport companies…but not quite there yet,,,, OR haven’t done the dreaded last option…SELLING YOUR SOUL!

What made you sell your soul; and was it worth it?

Ryan

nick 16

Post by nick 16 »

SwamP wrote:
So for the guys who’ve turned their back on that option…was it worth it?
By this time next year I'll be able to tell you or I'll be at least one of the 'numpties' and not one of the 'muppets'.

Nick.
Nicholas Ball

morsey

Post by morsey »

Ryan its comes down to a choice between the Kontiki tour bus or the Saga coach, they're both similar and take you to the same place. On one you have your eyes wide opens and your dreams on display and the other you are wrapped up in the your own cosy little world of routine. Your choice old man! :-)

DanH

Post by DanH »

BigPhil wrote:I blame Ted Piper and Dan Heyworth :-)
Does this mean I'll get my own thread soon? :-)

In all seriousness, I had a "real" very well paid job for a good for a good 10 years. I just decided that I'd had enough of the 'rat-race' and gave it all up! I get loads of people telling my how lucky I am, and how they could never afford to do what I do etc. But anybody can do it, you just have to be prepared to make some sacrifices. You know, give up the security of a monthly salary, a nice house, expensive clothes, takeaways..., and get on with doing what you want to do, kayaking. Generally, the highest cost in any trip is getting to and from the destination, so why spend 2 weeks there when for very little extra you can spend 2 months there? I don't tend to work when I'm on trips, as I'm there to do the kayaking I want to do, but a few days of coaching or guiding comes up I don't tend to turn it down. I'm keen to keep work and fun separate, thats why I enjoy my kayaking so much.

So, who's up for quitting there jobs, selling there houses, giving up all the security and coming to Mexico and Chile for the winter? ;-)

cripper

Post by cripper »

see ya in chilie over xmas then dude! unless i head back to the nile or zam...!
Hear no rain.
See no rain.
Pray for rain

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Threads that are confused and meaningless to start with, rarely improve.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

hardy

Post by hardy »

"so for the guys who turned thier back on that option..."

I never had that option,unless i cause a lot of people hurt,and then find myself in some foriegn field torn apart with homesickness.

I've never sold my soul,like to think i never will,but who knows.

A good friend of mine has the abilty / option to do as you suggest,he is a very talented boater,his own man to.I have asked him why he doesn't take the "kayak the world for ever" route;Quite simply he is a well rounded guy who realises there is more to live for than paddling.

Complicated,aint it?

roo

Post by roo »

SwamP wrote:
roo wrote:I beleive I am a kayaker
I’m nothing. In that as soon as you’re very good at something and therefore categorised in it, it means you’re very bad at something else and therefore overall, you suck! BNIAGW…ahem…
See now Mr. P, you missed a trick there (plus I disagree with your honourable viewpoint), AND you'll note I'm choosing to ignore your first antagonistic comments. :-o

Clearly you are not nothing, but that is a separate issue to my statement. I would suggest you discuss that outside of this forum..........

Let me explain.....An acquaintance once said to me:

"I know you don't kayak anymore, but are you still a kayaker?"

I said "No" - but i quickly learned that I was wrong.

So, My name is Roo. I'm a "kayaker". I don't believe I have sold-out. But I'll admit my priorities may have changed, however I meet other "kayakers" daily and it's that and the confidence that kayaking has given me that makes me smile everyday.

Fight but don't fight too hard and you might start to enjoy yourself ;-)

Have fun
Roo x

roo

Post by roo »

SwamP wrote: So for the guys who’ve turned their back on that option…was it worth it?
and to play fair.......

Was it worth it?

Yes

&

No

dirtbiker

Post by dirtbiker »

SwamP wrote:So for the guys who’ve turned their back on that option…was it worth it?
As with most of the people reading/contributing to this thread I'm a little confused but I'll try to answer the question I think you're asking:

I paddled a fair bit at university (maybe not as much as I should/could have in retrospect but that's a whole new topic!) and have since joined a big company on a graduate programme - the "selling out" side of things, if you will. This has greatly reduced the amount of paddling I'm able to do due to working abroad and actually having to be in the office when I'm in the UK but I'd say it was probably worth it.

Having a decent salary has allowed me to do trips to places like Uganda that probably wouldn't have been easily open to me (at least without worrying about the financial side of things) and obviously working with a clear 'career path' gives a fair bit of direction to my life which would probably be lacking if I was to pursue the 'kayak bum' lifestyle. It's also nice to be able to spend money on kit without worrying too much about paying the credit card bill at the end of the month!

That said I don't find that work gives me the satisfaction that I get from progressing with my kayaking but I feel that perhaps this progression wouldn't be as quick or as life-affirming if I was to paddle day-in-day-out. I'd actually quite like the chance to find out so am currently considering the option of taking a sabbatical from work once I finish my graduate programme and 'living the dream' for a bit. Can't see it as being a long term proposition but you never know I guess.

Perhaps not the most articulate reply ever but would be interested to see if anyone else has similar experiences/thoughts.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

For me I reckon selling half your soul is the answer.
Full time kayak bum isn't an option for most. However obsessed with paddling you are, it's only a very few that get a successful life from paddling.
But the world is a small place and there are jobs and areas of the world that suit a working paddler's life.
I say don't sell your soul, just lease it while you get the skills to get a job abroad [or marry a yank] and then claim that puppy back as your own.
At least you'll be able to part own it on a time share.
dave

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

This thread has raised interesting questions for me... these questions also raise interesting questions... thus far however, I've been unable to arrive at any answers... Interesting or otherwise.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

I'm still trying to figure out what the thread is all about!

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

SimonMW wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what the thread is all about!
Ditto, I think "selling your soul" is about becoming involved with coaching professionally, turning something you love into something you make money from. I think.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

So we have "kayaking". Lets say for simple sake that it offers passion, inspiration, a level of freedom and escapism not found in most other walks of life.

Then I gave just 3 categories of routes:
Route 1. Successful traveling / employment in the sport.
Route 2. Planning on achieving route 1 but not really getting there.
Route 3. Knowing that Route 1 sounds great on paper, but making the choice to follow a completely alternative path. Call it selling your soul, working in an office, pursuing a career, working at what you studied etc...

Like a thread about coaching where I won't comment; if my explanation doesn't interest you nor make sense. Sorry for boring you.

Some have got it and replied quite interestingly. Other haven't got it...and replied, quite interestingly. Others have just chosen to be their usual pleb little strange nyaff selves haha.

KW - You should question whether you're going to survive WWPF mate! ;)

hoolabloom

Post by hoolabloom »

mmmmmmmm

I m lost

I love ma job which isnt paddling related, have only got any badges from paddling cos i was in the right place at the right time, like having a house and still get to do plenty trips each year. Paddle as often as i want conditions allowing .

So have i sold my soul nope...........

You get one chance make it work for you........no one else will

hardy

Post by hardy »

Just finished work today,converting a loft.
Put my soul into it,my customer said "You have given me exactly what i wanted,i'm so pleased."Pleased me to.
Hoping to paddle tomorrow...

Best of both,soul intact.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I took it that the OP assumes that all paddlers want to paddle as much as possible. [I'll go along with that].

In which case, getting a job and weekend warrioring is selling your soul - and either bumming around kayaking all the time, or being lucky [strategic] enough to have a kayaking job is, well not selling your soul.
dave

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

Ah well, given that I'm going uni soon, I've got all that soul-selling ahead of me...

WRK

Post by WRK »

Hardy has the best attitude to paddling I have ever come across.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”