Sport for no one!!!

Inland paddling
British Rafting Team Capt

Sport for no one!!!

Post by British Rafting Team Capt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:24 pm

Comments Please:

My Team Members and I recently won the British White Water Rafting Champs, and have so been titled the British Rafting Team (Mens). Great News as we had been training weekly at the National Water Sports Centre Nottingham. These sessions cost us a around 5 quid per team member to access the course (Fair Doos) We now ask if we would be granted free access to the course to train for the World Champs in Equador at the end of the year which alone could rack up costs of thousands. After asking the National Water Sports Centre for access to the Course and or Gym to train, we have been told that this would be highly unlikley. Yet every other disciplines Teams have access via Elite Passes.

Do think this is unfair or are we asking for to much.

Regards

Highly motivated un supported Mens British Raft team

Daffers

Post by Daffers » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:38 pm

That sucks to me adn I do see your point - I've only rafted at the Alps - HPP would be a bit tame these days - but its still your training ground... Whos your governing body (i.e. your BCU)? Maybe they could step in and help?
JP Lives Forever

davebrads

Re: Elite Passes

Post by davebrads » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:45 pm

Congratulations on your success

Aren't the passes paid for by the governing bodies? which ultimately means the money comes from UK Sport. Most of the funding goes to Olympic sports, which is why the slalomists worked so hard to make sure Canoe Slalom was included at Beijing. Maybe you should try to get rafting recognised as an Olympic Sport (at least it would be something else to do on the Whitewater course)

Maybe you could negotiate some kind of season pass for yourselves which might save some money.

Daffers

Re: Elite Passes

Post by Daffers » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:53 pm

davebrads wrote:Congratulations on your success
Oh, yeah, kinda forgot about that bit - nice one guys!! Bestest luck as well for the worlds!
JP Lives Forever

grinner

Post by grinner » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:53 pm

congratulations!!!

i think it is unfair that you won the British White Water Rafting Champs and you cant get a pass to hpp to train when you could win the World Champs.
complain about it.
radio man

sneaky dog

Post by sneaky dog » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:56 pm

the reason for your position is simple.
Rafting is not a sport.
It is a pastime.
So no funding.

GB Rafting Team

Post by GB Rafting Team » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Thanks for your support.

I belive the sport of rafting is more than a past time if you make it more, Much like kayaking, tennis, football etc etc................

I will try some of the avenues suggested.

Cheers

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:21 pm

Have you tried asking the slalomists if they mind you combining training use of the course?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:31 pm

guidebook wrote:Have you tried asking the slalomists if they mind you combining training use of the course?
LOL !!!!!!!!!

There was a women's rafting team practicing at the Tryweryn a few weeks ago. Very fit.

I mean, they must need to be very fit.
Steve Balcombe

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:43 pm

May just be me being an ignorant southern fairy, but what does a raft team do? is it slalom type thing or just fastest time down?

well done by the way

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:15 am

Very well done. The training situation is slightly sub-optimal though as you say.
Rafting was once under control of the BCU, is that still the case or does it have its own governing body these days? If its still under the BCU maybe you could tap them up for some funding?

Martin

cswalker

Post by cswalker » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:26 am

sneaky dog wrote:the reason for your position is simple.
Rafting is not a sport.
It is a pastime.
So no funding.
MMMMM, well balanced and supportive argument, are you into football, snooker and darts? Top notch sports!

I thought that one aspect of sport was competitive physical exercise??

GB Captain

Post by GB Captain » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:39 pm

Rafting Comps can consist of some of the following, Endurance races, slalom, sprint. In Equador we will be raceing on Class Five rapids head to head against profesional teams from all the major nations. Some of the teams are fully supported with goverment funding and train as are Slalom teams do!!!

Here is a concept for you.....

Last year around 15000 people tried white water rafting in the Uk alone. That is alot of people being introdued to river access issues, water quality issues and paddle sports. No other paddle sport gets that number of people onto the water and aware of the these issues...

Yet it gains very little support from Sport England and Governing Bodies..Why?

Food for Thought!

CAP

sneaky dog

Post by sneaky dog » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:49 pm

cswalker wrote:
sneaky dog wrote:the reason for your position is simple.
Rafting is not a sport.
It is a pastime.
So no funding.
MMMMM, well balanced and supportive argument, are you into football, snooker and darts? Top notch sports!

I thought that one aspect of sport was competitive physical exercise??
it wasn't supposed to be well balanced or supportive. I was just telling you why you had no funding. Simple really. Sorry I cannot suggest further avenues to try, other than those already posted.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:13 pm

Sorry Cap but 15,000 in a year is really small beer. It is estimated that about 2,000,000 people try out canoeing/kayaking each year. I'm not sure but I think there are more than 15,000 members of the BCU!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:06 pm

Steve B wrote:
guidebook wrote:Have you tried asking the slalomists if they mind you combining training use of the course?
LOL !!!!!!!!!
Oh...I was entirely serious! Given that they regularly have the course to themselves, and that (whisper it) there aren't actually very many of them, something must be possible with a little polite negotiation.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

GB CAP

Post by GB CAP » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:54 pm

Fair point! I think I will ask the slalomist if we could use the course when they are not on it during the day, although the NWSC does have a no sub letting policy for the course, but if we don't have to pay the slalom group then I suppose it aint sub letting.!

Thanks to all for your support on this matter.

Will post again with our efforts in Equador if we get enough candy to go!

Cheers

Hoopla

Team Captain

CAP

Post by CAP » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:21 pm

adrian cooper wrote:Sorry Cap but 15,000 in a year is really small beer. It is estimated that about 2,000,000 people try out canoeing/kayaking each year. I'm not sure but I think there are more than 15,000 members of the BCU!
Fair point adrain and already pointed out to me today. But the question is are these 2 squillion people of the age or position to make a difference to our paddling world via the goverment or are they more just millions of children having a splash in a boat with one of many outdoor centres and who later in there life say what every one says when approached with subject of canoeing "canoeing yeh I went when I was a kid" "can you do that eskimo roll thingy"

These experinces are all good and I am sure people are captured by canoeing and continue to take up paddle sports later in life.

But what about general public over the age of 18 doing paddle sports on fast numbers, people with the right to vote and people in position of power, I bet they are not a large percentage of the 2 squillion people who went canoeing.

You want better access? It is no good preaching our problems to school children, but give adults an insite into the issues at hand an may be things can be a little different. And there are 15000 of them on your side!! Each year walking through rafting centres.

and the figure of 15000 is a humble number as Red Letter Days alone sold 6000 rafting tickets last year. not including the rest of the activity suppliers and private centres.

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:45 am

Elite passes are not free, they have to be paid for by the athletes, the last set cost about £70 per person.

Daffers

Post by Daffers » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:34 am

ChrisMac wrote:Elite passes are not free, they have to be paid for by the athletes, the last set cost about £70 per person.
Yeah, but thats nothing compaired to having to shell out £8? per visit.. I'd pay £70 to paddle HPP for a year! But understand that you made the point.
JP Lives Forever

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”