White Nile - more Advice please!!

Inland paddling
Will.S.

White Nile - more Advice please!!

Post by Will.S. » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:12 pm

Hello, Ive booked to go to Uganda from 13thAug-28thAug with Ethiopia airlines.

Being rather keen ive alreay been experimenting with what i can take in my boat and what needs to be hand luggage. So far i can get all paddling kit, mozzy net, sleeping bag liner, tent and roll mat inside my Crazy88, its still under 20kgs.

I was wondering if anyone who has camped at the camping grounds there, can tell me, if its gets COLD at night??? As im just wondering if i can get away with using just my sleeping bag liner?? Id like to avoid taking a sleeping bag if possible to cut down on weight.

Also...Is anyone else going to be there during this period? It would be cool to meet up with some Brits. Im going mainly to play.

One other query.... Im taking a paddling knife and waterproof first aid kit. Do i need a tow line for the nile?? Im guessing YES - its good practise?

Is there anything else (paddling-wise) i need take which i may have over looked.

Thankyou.
Will.

Steve B

Re: White Nile - more Advice please!!

Post by Steve B » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:24 pm

Will.S. wrote:Id like to avoid taking a sleeping bag if possible to cut down on weight.
I bought a three-season bag that packs really small. It cost maybe 25% more than the normal size equivalent but it's been worth every penny.
Steve Balcombe

Mark R

Re: White Nile - more Advice please!!

Post by Mark R » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:56 pm

Will.S. wrote:Hello, Ive booked to go to Uganda from 13thAug-28thAug with Ethiopia airlines.
I hope you're not hoping for sparkling service and customer treatment...
Will.S. wrote:I was wondering if anyone who has camped at the camping grounds there, can tell me, if its gets COLD at night???
The nights are HOT and I only used a sheet at most.

Last time (at NRE camp) we stayed in bandas, which are basically nasty dark little mosquito-ridden shacks with mossie nets riddled with holes. Next time (probably going this Christmas) we are going to take a big airy tent and use that instead.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:57 pm

Don't pack anything in your boat, make sure its empty, even your air bags.

Make sure your knife is packed well away in the hold luggage (not hand luggage) but not in your boat.

As Mark said the mosi net was essential - I found that all nets provided over beds needed secondary back up due to holes.

I would not recommend taking a tow line on any white water, if you really think its needed then take a sling and carabiner and do a shoulder tow.

I found it cold at night - at least compared to the day time temp.

If your staying in bedded accomodation then you don't need a sleeping bag (they have sheets, pillows, blankets).

Don't listen to Mark - the banda's were OK. He however fell over the cliff getting out of his in the middle of the night with the wooden railing falling away beneath him, 10' drop to the pathway below woke him up a wee bit.

Chas

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:36 pm

I don't know about Chas, but he wouldn't need a tow line anyway.

Having to rescue his boat, and many others ! I found that a towline or cowstail was pretty essential.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:45 pm

Simon said "I don't know about Chas, but he wouldn't need a tow line anyway. Having to rescue his boat."

I thought that was our little secret !!!.

My story goes something like - the force of the water after the falls just sucked me out of the boat - honest.

Chas :-(

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:47 pm

Dear oh dear, Chas...what kind of a lame wuss would swim on the White Nile?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:52 pm

Come on guy's this is very unfair - where's the editor - this site is turning into the replacement for TWP.

As I honestly stated before - technically it was not a swim - more a sucked out of my seat with no questions asked.

Now the quick rescue that followed was indeed much appreciated.

End of story I hope.

Chas

errrr, Mark did you not also slip out of your boat too ??, rescued by the girlie rafters you were trying to protect.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:54 pm

You seem to have forgotten that I got to practice my breast stroke in Uganda (across what has to be the largest eddy in Africa, as it happens).
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

little tim

Post by little tim » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:21 pm

Get a nose clip and ear plugs.

A spare set of paddles is useful, as if you lose / break yours then you're pretty much out of it as far as paddling goes. Spare bits of kit are like gold dust there.

a sleeping bag liner will do almost all the time, but occasionally you might want a lightweight sleeping bag.

Don't forget to ask the airline about any sports equipment allowance.

And yes, there will be many people from uk there. It seems all my mates have headed off there for the summer, when i can't make it this year :(

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:01 pm

why should i not pack anything into my boat?

If its tied down inside, with a deck cover, is it OK??

Cheers.

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:03 pm

Will.S. wrote: why should i not pack anything into my boat?
If its tied down inside, with a deck cover, is it OK??
Not sure. I travelled to Uganda with Emirates and Turkish Airlines to Turkey, filled the boat with BAid, Deck, random other stuff, no problems.
Make sure that the weight of the 'whole boat and kit' does not exceed 32kg, that (I think) is the maximum weight of any item that baggage handlers will take.
Neil Farmer.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:00 pm

Some airlines will not allow you to fill your boat with kit - or will make you take it out for security inspection before its loaded.

So - I've always er'd on the safe side and not packed anything in my boat.

Chas

little tim

Post by little tim » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:17 pm

I usually go for bulky but easy to pack items - ba's, sleeping bags and rollmatts etc.

then if you do need to unpack, it'll be very quick - if not, then thats a lot of space saved!

tomhollis

Post by tomhollis » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:29 pm

Some useful tips, ta, I am heading out also this summer.

If you are going to camp I wouldn't take a valued tent, friends of mine camped at NRE and termites ate holes in their tents. Personally I think I will stick to the bandas

ol

Post by ol » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:45 pm

I am out in 2 weeks and flying with BA cause i am dead posh. Hopefully packing a few things in my boat will be okay. The weight limit is 23kg i think which is not a lot with a 15kg odd ZG and two sets of paddles.

Do most people take their own tent? You can hire them can't you as well as hiring the shacks etc?

OL

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:48 pm

ol wrote:Do most people take their own tent? You can hire them can't you as well as hiring the shacks etc?
Take your own. I don't know if they hire tents, but if they do...I strongly suspect they might not be 100% mossie proof.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

little tim

Post by little tim » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:31 pm

no tents available, as the banda dorm's are similar. Difference is $2 a night camping to a $5 banda.

If you feel extremely posh, then stay in nile porch for $35 a night!

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:37 pm

I thought that the bandas were about $15 a night, and the NIle Porch was about $80 a night....

Camping would be much cheaper

ol

Post by ol » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:22 pm

Yep, Bandas seem to be $15pppn.
some prices listed at this site below.
http://traveluganda.co.ug/bujagali.asp

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:58 pm

Nice vid...Liz Bell and Allan Ellard in Uganda...

http://www.riverkore.com/stuff/7-0/7-0.htm
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

meatballs

Post by meatballs » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:00 am

Chas C wrote:As I honestly stated before - technically it was not a swim - more a sucked out of my seat with no questions asked.
Obviously you aren't 'safely' tucked into your boat so it becomes a chore to get in and out :p

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:25 pm

what an awesome vid.

counting down the days.

ol

Post by ol » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:02 pm

ol wrote:I am out in 2 weeks and flying with BA cause i am dead posh. Hopefully packing a few things in my boat will be okay. The weight limit is 23kg i think which is not a lot with a 15kg odd ZG and two sets of paddles.

Do most people take their own tent? You can hire them can't you as well as hiring the shacks etc?

OL
Just got back, awesome paddling! Silverback eddyline made me swim on 1st day, Nile Special boil-lines and complete exhaustion made me swim on last day. Twice out of 2 weeks isn't bad.... Hairy Lemon is so nice. Stayed there mostly to paddle Nile Special as much as possible and to escape sleepless nights at NRE (student halls of residence-like) camp.

Packed my boat and it ended up well over the 23kg BA said i could have as hold luggage, my cabin baggage also exceeded the 6kg i was allowed. On my way out, BA didn't even weigh my stuff. My friend travelling from Germany though, did get checked and some heated negotiating and some financial easing allowed his kayak on board with a letter stating he was permitted to carry it(for the return journey)

Take your own tent if camping. Most of the tents do look very ropey and the mosquito nets are holed. I got a 1-man tent from Argos for £15 and it only weighs 1.5kg, less if you swap pegs for aluminium. It has little holes in the bottom now from........? don't know to be honest.

Go now.
OL
Duncan, Nile Special
Itanda, lower get-in above Bad Place
Killian, massive Blunt Nile Special
Adrian,OL,Phillip,Kai,Brendan - The Team
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1601011

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”