Go Pro Advice

Inland paddling
fisher1857

Go Pro Advice

Post by fisher1857 »

I have a question relating to Go Pro's. I am looking to purchase one and dont mind buying new or used. Is there a particular model that is best which I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks,

John

nickbennett

Re: Go Pro Advice

Post by nickbennett »

The full HD GoPro is the best. It does awesome quality film and has a rechargable battery which saves a fortune in litium batteries. It might come with a 2gb sd card but if you have the money it is well worth getting a 14gb one. Also a bottle of rainX is a must if you want to get some droplet free videos.

Nick

Johnnyalbs

Post by Johnnyalbs »

I agree the HD GoPro is the best quality for video, however you also have to take into account the ease of editing, uploading and transferring. The Hero5 Wide takes great quality video and the batteries aren't too bad if you know where to buy them. I buy my Lithium AAAs in a job lot at Christmas in my local discount toy shop, when they are fighting for competition in the battery market (working out at about 50p oer battery!) A set of two batteries lasts me for 3-4 hours filming in the cold a little longer in warm.

I edit the 5MP films easily on my 8 year old PC (1.0M RAM!) and don't I would cope editing or uploading HD videos.

However, think the older GoPros are difficult to find but worth every penny if you can.

fisher1857

Post by fisher1857 »

Cheers guys. Would I be right in saying that I would be wanting to buy the Go Pro Surf, as that would have the best attachments for boating?

Johnnyalbs

Post by Johnnyalbs »

I use the Helmet Hero, the flat and curved mounts fit on the deck of my boat, although the Camera usually gets swamped with these. This would also give you mounts to fit the camera to your helmet (!), I have also converted the headstrap mount to a chest mount, which works well and didn't require much work. I have seen lots of examples of people with extension bars attached to grab loops which also looks good, but you would need a fast bombproof roll to stop the camera acting as a rudder (which I don't have!).

With the chest mount, I used to wear it on a strap around my chest, but found this was wearing out the fabric under my armpits, so now wear it strapped to the shoulder straps of my BA, it wobbles about a little bit in very rough stuff (such as long beach seal launches!) but is OK under normal river and sea conditions and am working on a stiffener involving some foam backing which I am hopeful about.

I considered the Surf Hero originally but wasn't sure if the surface of my deck would be flat enough and again you have the issue of the camera being a bit low in the water, when it gets rough. The helmet attachments stick on well (using the 3M pads) and the camera will break before the glue comes unstuck. But always back up with a short length of thin cord to the grab loop (do the same on your helmet as a back up, as the cameras don't float!)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”