Suction Mounts

Inland paddling
dhkayaking

Suction Mounts

Post by dhkayaking » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:20 am

So I want to mount a camera on my boat. I cant find any definitive answer on line. What mounts are people using, are the glass lifting suction cups any good on plastic boats? I wont be dropping a few hundred $$$ on the hollywood ones!

Interested to hear peoples views.

Cheers dave

Tom_Laws

Re: Suction Mounts

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:51 pm

I used the motorsports sucker from my GoPro to attach it, with a back up from some cord. Seems good. #

http://www.vimeo.com/24277378

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi Tom

Im not using a GoPro unfortunately. I have a MUVI mini cam and a Kodak playsport both of them can be attached by the regular screw that goes into a camera.

Just want to see if anyone has been successful making or modifying a mount that will hold up in whitewater.

cheers d

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 pm

You can buy them, I got one from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delkin-Gecko-Mi ... 87&sr=1-40

Haven't tried it in anger yet, and would back it up, but seems pretty good.
Ken.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Last year I bought a glass lifting suction cup (about 10cm diameter) with the intention of adapting it to hold my camera, and found that the only surface on my Dagger Honcho that it would actually stick to was the bottom! The hull was just too curved. After Christmas I bought one of the smaller ones (about 5cm diameter) and it wouldn't attach to it either. I tried that on my new burn and the only place it would stick was on the Pyranha badge (and the bottom) on the front/back deck. I paddled with it stuck there down an easy section, but decided that if I put my camera on it there was a good chance I would give it a whack with my paddle, potentially breaking my camera. So I gave up and fashioned a way to attach it to my BA.

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 am

Cheers for the feed back. you may have saved me a few quid!
Not sure what Im am going to do yet might just attach it to my helmet.

Dave

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Definitely depends on the boat. I can get the glass-lifting suction cups to work on my Ammo and in just one spot on the H2. On the Ammo, in a capsize, I smashed the GoPro into a rock (no damage), which broke the handles clean off the sucker, leaving the sucker still firmly stuck to the boat - so if you find a good spot, it really does work. Textured surfaces are no good. Curved surfaces tend not to be good either. Deep scratches don't help.

OK, pardon the labels (and the face) on this pic - it's off our club beginners' "what gear do I need?" page. You can see the GoPro stuck on with a sucker - that's a bit too near the paddler for my taste, but it's the only place it will stick on the H2 - the rest of the deck has a textured finish.. On the Ammo, I get a better spot, just about at the limit of where I can reach the controls. That's also about the right distance to see some context as well as the paddler's terrified visage... As you can see, the camera is also tied to the boat as a back up (sometimes you get grit in the sucker...). I don't recommend using a krab like that though (I don't do that now - a throw line meant for me clipped itself to that krab and the boat went into some trees. OK, meant I didn't have to chase the boat, but the throwline didn't do me much good !

Photo credit: Heather Florence.

PS. you do get a lot of "samey" footage with the GoPro on the boat. Mostly now I use it on the helmet, but it takes discipline not to make your viewers sick if you keep looking round for eddies, your mates, wave to the crowd, etc...

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi geyrfugl,

Thanks for the info. I have tried one of them suction mounts but can only find one place on the back of my diesel that it will stick. Ordered a cheapish perpose made camera suction mount from the net so going to give that a try when it arrives.
Agree that the head view gets annoying with all the movement. I think you want at least 2 different angles for a good vid. Boat/helmet and bank.
You would think that boat manufacturers would be taking these things into account at this stage!
I will keep experimenting anyway.

Cheers Dave

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:55 pm

geyrfugl wrote: PS. you do get a lot of "samey" footage with the GoPro on the boat. Mostly now I use it on the helmet, but it takes discipline not to make your viewers sick if you keep looking round for eddies, your mates, wave to the crowd, etc...

Variety is very much the spice girl of life with these things. Front, back, on a pole, chest, head. All are good!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”