Access Development Officer BCU & WCA - Job Vacancy

Inland paddling
paddlersteve

Access Development Officer BCU & WCA - Job Vacancy

Post by paddlersteve »

This has been advertised for a while now, anybody applied / in the process of applying / know anyone who is applying?

http://www.bcu.org.uk/aboutus/bcujobs.html

It looks interested but a bit too challenging for me!

If you are applying, I wish you all the very best, it would be a tough job, but the right person could be a great step in the right direction!

Steve

Pete the kayaker

Sometime's I thinkthis isjust window-dressing!

Post by Pete the kayaker »

Nice one!

So the BCU is looking for someone
Educated to degree level or equivalent,
possessing
excellent communication, negotiation, presentation and organisational / management skills
and they're offering a max of £25k PA.

IMHO Whoever placed this ad lives in cloud cuckoo land. What sort of "quality" candidate are they expecting?

Anyone with a tertiary qualification and these skills wouldn't get out of bed for £25K PA.

Is the BCU really serious about access? Seeing this sort of nonsense makes doubt it.

Would anyone from the BCU care to respond?

Poke'

Post by Poke' »

Pete the kayaker wrote:So the BCU is looking for someone
Educated to degree level or equivalent,
possessing
excellent communication, negotiation, presentation and organisational / management skills
and they're offering a max of £25k PA.
As i'm going to be unemployed next year (due to impending graduation), I was quite interested.. A number of graduate schemes ask for similar traits and offer that sort of pay..

However its the proven track record of managing a similar size organisation that lets me down.. And if i had that, as you say, I'm guessing £20-£25K would become somewhat less attractive..

Re: Sometime's I thinkthis isjust window-dressing!

Post by Guest »

Pete the kayaker wrote:Anyone with a tertiary qualification and these skills wouldn't get out of bed for £25K PA.
I agree 25K is not the big bucks but its not that useless either. The field I work in (conservation) pays far less than 25K despite me having two degrees from two of the top 5 Uni's in the country. People do the job I do becasue they want to try and make a difference.

It is surely to be expected that an organisation the size of the BCU with their kind of annual turnover is not going to have the means to pay top whack salaries.

I am sure a candidate with the right drive and enthusiam could do a brilliant job.

Best of luck to whoever is applying.

Sarah.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. »

I know of a couple of people who are applying for the post but I don't really think it's appropriate to say who they are before the application period has closed.

Also, remember it's not purely a BCU post. Pete, you should be directing some of your vitriol against the WCA as well because, as I understand it, they're responsible for sourcing the Sports Council for Wales part of the funding for this post.

Pete.

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Damned when it appears that nothing is being done, then damned when they actually do do what we want. Seems like the NGB's can't do right for us.
Regarding the salary, OK, maybe not top of scale, but have you seen how much a top grade chef earns, and if you exclude Gordon Ramsey (poor communicator), will probably have most of these qualities, will be passionate in what they do, and would get a marked rise in pay. And yes many do have degrees too!

Let's wait and see who is appointed, and then work with them to get things moving.
I congratulate the BCU and WCA for co-operating and starting to do what we have been asking of them for the last few years.
Gary Mascall

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

I for one am prepared to see how it turns out before I criticize. The BCU has been pretty ineffectual in the past so let's see how this new initiative works out. If it doesn't I am sure there will be plenty of vitriol on this forum. If it does I hope there will be plenty of congratulations instead.

Adrian

Pete the kayaker

BCU Access Development Officer

Firstly - the comparisions with chefs and conservation workers don't hold water, different industries/professions have different rates of pay.

Although the BCU has limited resources, I would have thought that an addtional £5-£10K onto this range would have attracted more the sort of candidate required. The salary advertised just doesn't seem to tie in with what they are asking for.

Secondly, (just to clarify) none of my comments are directed at the candidates applying for the post - If they have the qualities required, are able to do the job well and are happy to do so at that pay, then I am happy to be proved wrong.

However with LEA's and various other organisations offering greater salaries for 'outdoors' people with experience and this level of qualification, I just think that this is not enough.
Damned when it appears that nothing is being done, then damned when they actually do do what we want. Seems like the NGB's can't do right for us.
Yes, of course. Although I welcome the recruitment of an access development officer, my point is that I do not believe that this rate of pay will bring in the person for the job (It's my opinion). Maybe it's not that the NGBs can't do right for us, just that they havn't yet.

Fat Pat

Post by Fat Pat »

In reply to Pete the Kayker's "LEA's and various other organisations offering greater salaries for 'outdoors' people with experience and this level of qualification, I just think that this is not enough. "

I suggest that you look at the full advert - http://www.welsh-canoeing.org.uk/

and then at job adverts for similar positions, this isnt managing a team, its self management. Its the sort of job that some years ago that would have appealed to me - 3-6 years post degree and looking at the next step on the ladder.

For my mind the BCU/WCA have pitched the salary at that level and should attract a range of well qualified individuals. Your comments with regards to LEAs offering greater salaries should be looked at again - go to Times Ed or IOL websites and look at jobs AT THIS LEVEL and the salary is about right for the job.

The really annoying thing is that you've got me defending the BCU!

Mark R

Re: Sometime's I thinkthis isjust window-dressing!

Post by Mark R »

Anonymous wrote:It is surely to be expected that an organisation the size of the BCU with their kind of annual turnover is not going to have the means to pay top whack salaries.
Maybe not, but all these folk manage to draw salaries...

http://www.worldclass-canoeing.org.uk/w ... nuItemId=6

On the other hand, I have now sent an email to BCU HQ no less than three times, asking the seemingly simple question of, 'Who is responsible for the Rivers Access Campaign, and how many paid hours do they work each week?

I'm still awaiting a reply. Pray that - despite the mickey mouse resources allocated to this issue - the person appointed has his or her feet planted firmly in the very real world of recreational WW paddling. Pray it's not just some slalom/ sprint type needing an excuse to lurk around Nottingham and not rock boats.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Pete the kayaker

Pat,

You're assumption that I hadn't looked at the full advert is erronious. That is precisely what made me ask the questions in the first place. I have also seen many jobs advertised for positions requiring similiar skills, your suggestion is, therefore, redundant ;)

You say
this isnt managing a team, its self management.
So what does
To manage a network of voluntary officers appropriate to the tasks in hand
mean then?

The job isn't aimed at someone with minimal experince since leaving college/university but at someone with a
Proven track record of management in a similar sized organisation.
These are some of the reasons that I doubt the salary offered will attract the type of candidate that the job description specifies.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”