Norway

Inland paddling
Wavesportzg54

Norway

Post by Wavesportzg54 »

Need advice on hiring cars with roof racks for Norway. Pickup at Oslo airport..

Someone must have done this...

Cheers
M Beamish

Simon Westgarth

Re: Norway

Post by Simon Westgarth »

Wavesportzg54 wrote:Need advice on hiring cars with roof racks for Norway. Pickup at Oslo airport..

Take some 4b2 wood with you, and ask for a hire car with roof rails.

NickH

Post by NickH »

Don't get inflatable bars! if you can't get a car with rails, then use 4 brick sized pieces of minicell foam with 2 planks on them, tied through the car.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Simon Westgarth wrote:
Wavesportzg54 wrote:Need advice on hiring cars with roof racks for Norway. Pickup at Oslo airport..

Take some 4b2 wood with you, and ask for a hire car with roof rails.
50x100* (i.e 2x4) would be excessive (and heavy to fly with), two 1.1 meter lengths of 38x50 carcassing material should be more than adequate (make sure there's no splits though or it'll end badly); you may even be able to convince your friendly local buliders merchants to let you have some offcuts of about that size and length for a couple of quid, rather than spending upward of a tenner on more timber than you need at B&Q.

*In the uk, Timber is sized and sold in milimeters, not inches.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Will Eldred

Post by Will Eldred »

Last year we did the trick with 4 blocks of foam but used two roof bars with straps threaded through them and then through the doors. It didn't budge an inch the whole time we were there and the bars fitted in our paddle bag which we managed to blag on the plane free of charge. I would definately recomend it however in heavy rain the straps are prone to letting the water in depending on how good the cars doors are. Apparently on an Ardeche trip passengers had to sit holding a sauce pan in their lap but we didn't have to many problems and it rained a fair bit.

FamilyVan

Post by FamilyVan »

We hired cars last year - Rentawreck. They supplied with roofracks. Also Flights with Norwegian Airlines from Gatwick. Costs for kayaks was about £26 each way. Have a good one....

morsey

Post by morsey »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:*In the uk, Timber is sized and sold in milimeters, not inches.
Talking pap.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Will Eldred wrote:in heavy rain the straps are prone to letting the water in depending on how good the cars doors are.
The trick when driving is to wrap towels around the straps on the inside of each strap entry point. Remove the straps if leaving the car in the rain over night on the campsite. You get the same problem with inflatable racks. :-(

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

morsey wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:*In the uk, Timber is sized and sold in milimeters, not inches.
Talking pap.
I work for a timber importer... so unless I walk past 50,000 packs of timber that have been mislabled each day, I think I might just be correct there.
Whilst you can still ask for material in inches at the retail end, it's nominally bigger and is simply the size most closely approximating to what you ask for, all because the industry works in mm.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

morsey

Post by morsey »

English Oak.

N/A

Post by N/A »

Did this 2 years ago and we toke out a set of bars and a range of attachments as every one the tule bars got one to fit fine a used a bit of phome to pad out the other.

Hope this helps nick

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Morsey,

You will find that TheKrikkitWars is in fact correct.

Softwoods (Gymnosperms) and sheet materials are traded in metric sizes, these are the nominal sizes prior to machining. Hardwoods (Angiosperms - specifically Dicotyledons) are the exception as the majority of the material is either temperate materials imported from the USA or tropical materials from around the globe, where they still work in imperial measrements as a throwback to our glorious past and the British Empire. Hence the reason for UK & European hardwoods to conform to the global industry norm and the fact that it is a fraction of the global trade in hardwood timber.

Lets get back on topic shall we, hiring cars with roof racks for Norway.

Peter

morsey

Post by morsey »

Funny that a thread about Norway, a massive producer of timber gets side lined by imperial/metric wood sizing. Not all timber is sawn/sold metric, not all timber is imported or milled overseas. "Sorry Mr building inspector I thought I would replace that beam with European oak, I know the grain is long and straight by comparison and there is a 16th gap on all the joints, and I'll just chuck some synthetic caulk in the wall to cover up, alright!?" :-)

morsey

Post by morsey »

When you say Oslo airport, you should check it is Oslo and not Oslo Torp. Torp is two hours South. We got a nissan mote from Torp and messed the roof up with an inflatable rack. T-cut and fingers crossed!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”