Where do you store your boat(s)?

Inland paddling
Poke

Where do you store your boat(s)?

Post by Poke » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:04 am

I’m in the process of purchasing a house (eek!). We’ve had an offer accepted on a place, but ironically, it’s the only one of the hundreds(!) of places we looked at that doesn’t have a garage.
Or a shed.
Or anywhere to store boats.
Whilst my other half is also a kayaker, and very understanding, there’s no way that our current fleet of 9(?) boats will be able to reside in the living room.

So, has anyone else also faced this problem and what did you do?

We’ve got plenty of garden space and I know you can buy a pretty pimp shed (i.e. 10ft x 18ft) for about £2k, which should fit the boats plus more (I'm thinking bikes, lawnmower etc).

But... instead of splashing out on that, has anyone else got any cunning alternative boat storage methods.
Pictures (and prices) welcomed.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

twopigs

Re: Where do you store your boat(s)?

Post by twopigs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 am

I bought a shed and built a rack between the shed and the house wall......
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Chrace

Post by Chrace » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 am

Not much help, but garage was a primary criteria when we bought.

Motorbike, kayaks, mountain bikes, tools, climbing kit, inliners, skateboards, walking shoes, running shoes, etc etc. Not to mention having a place to dry and store smelly kit!

You sure about this house then? :)

RobMoffatt

Post by RobMoffatt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 am

Tim, if I can get 5 in my tiny room, you can surely squeeze them all into a whole house? (Think my record is 7, stored all over my house - very understanding housemates!) Hidden behind them all somewhere is a bike and my climbing kit too...

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 am

I built a workshop shed for about a grand, (16foot by 10) including concrete base and stuff. I also made a lean-to for under a hundred quid with battern and corrugated plastic. Build a couple of sheds, its extremely manly behaviour. Good luck with the house buying malarky, it makes you terribly growedup. I'm currently building a breakfast bar. Dead posh innit!

waynebrown

Post by waynebrown » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 am

I have a sheltered balcony at my place and i have placed a hook into the wall for storing my boat and my kit usually gets a nice rince in milton then lives on my shower curtain rail, works well for me as i am a bachelor lol

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:52 am

I was disappointed to buy a house with only a single garage, but I think there's still room to put Amie's creek boat in if you're short on space? (She's about my size and my H3's started to get leaky...)

As Tom suggested, you could always just earn man points by doing a DIY shed from a load of wood from Jewsons?

Alternatively, you could get a shipping container for about half the price?
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

andya

Post by andya » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 am

Half a dozen of my boats have sat under a conifer hedge for the past 15+ years with no noticeable effects. Both proper glass boats and tupperware. Just been taken out, snails removed, and paddled every few years or so,

I think keeping the sun off is the key

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am

5x3m tarpaulin from B&Q. £10.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:27 am

While you are at it, add a touch of class by abandonding some white goods and an old mattress on the lawn.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:32 am

You got a hammer boy?

Personally I just bought a house with a big wooden garage to store my boats in (don't ask why some are in the conservatory now - that came free with the house, it wasn't on the must have list unlike the garage).
My dad on the other hand has a long history of buying and building sheds, in his last house he had 5 sheds I think 2 were bought and the rest were built into the gaps between. He buys shiplap planking from a local sawmill and builds the panels himself - costs a fraction of the price of a new shed and you can do without windows (recommended if you want somewhere reasonably secure).

The other suggestion I could make is look in your local classified ads - one of my dads 'proper' sheds was actually a timber garage that he bought from the classifieds, we needed to go over and dismantle it, bring it home in a trailer (several loads) and re-assemble it, but it costs £100's rather than £1000's.

Bob Flanagan III

Post by Bob Flanagan III » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 am

I'm in a similar position but I bought a bungelow (well I do live in Eastbourne) and I store my boats and kit in the loft.

Nice and warm up their so kit dries quickly without being exposed to UV rays.

Just make sure that if you have a new loft hatch fitted you test that the boats in the loft will still pass through. I had a very lucky escape.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:28 am

Tim,

If you are successful in the purchase of this property, you should commission 'Papa' Burne with the task of designing and constructing a bespoke fit for purpose, secure by desigm shed for you. That will allow you to store your current fleet of 9(?) boats, mountain bikes, kit, walking boots/shoes, running shoes, etc etc, securely. They are also a great place to store & dry smelly kit, and of course, every man needs a shed.

This then leaves the inside of your new home free for Amie to concertrate her natural 'nest-building' activities on and her creative interior design skills. That way you are both happy in your new abode and have room for those romantic candle lit suppers.

Now then, this of course is just the sort of project 'Papa' Burne has been itching to get his teeth into in his retirement, and you of course you can impress Amie by becoming Nic's 'apprentice' in this manly task when home from work in the evenings and at the weekend. And think of the satisfaction when you have completed the project; “People like chopping wood, they see instant results.” Albert Einstein (1927).

Just let me know what timber, sheet materials, hardwear, lighting, locks, etc, etc, you require and I will get you very competitive price and arrange free delivery of both the materials and Nic by van any weekend.

Peter

robertm

Post by robertm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 pm

With that many boats why not leave them on a trailer and leave that in the back garden - cover with the B&Q sheet for added security :-)
Failing that ask rob to move his chest drawers and I'm sure he can fit another 9 boats in there!

Our local council do hire out garages so maybe that might be a practical solution in your area?

quicky

Post by quicky » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Up the edge of the stairs works well if you don't mind walking on the other side of the stairs.

Sophie

Post by Sophie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Binning the ones with holes in would halve your problem to start with...

Bod

Post by Bod » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 am

Do you already have sea kayaks in amongst that pile of 9 boats? I only mention this because you must be getting on now! ;-) If you haven't, then you might want to consider future-proofing your storage solution. We've got 10 boats + 1 waveski + 4 sea kayaks.

I just wanted to point out that the problem will get worse not better....

In answer to your original post, garage is what you need.
John B.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 am

Congrats on moving into the scary 'adult' world Tim :-)
Friends in similar positions have rented garages in the past.
No idea how you go about doing this but googling might be a start.
Giles

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 am

I bought a well-loved 20 foot shipping container for about £600 delivered from Geraint the Container just outside Ruthin. Some might say they don't look great, but I got it repainted green (to match the postbox) and now you'd barely notice it's there.

Any help?

nomorfkindhalbhat

Post by nomorfkindhalbhat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Join the local club and put them in their boathouse ?

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Randy Fandango wrote:Congrats on moving into the scary 'adult' world Tim :-)
haha. Not quite there yet, but if this house goes through and Amie doesn't realise what a mistake she's making, then by next year I'll be married with mortgage. Eek. :-)

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Love the shipping container idea, though there's no space to get it between the house and the neighbours and into the back garden. Building a shed would be a great plan (and thanks for the offer of the bargin price wood Pete), though given we'll need it quite quickly, I'm not sure that I'll have time to get it made before the boats have to be outside. Hmmmm...
Bod wrote:Do you already have sea kayaks in amongst that pile of 9 boats? I only mention this because you must be getting on now! ;-) If you haven't, then you might want to consider future-proofing your storage solution.
No. No. No. I've got at least 10 years before it gets to that :-) Haven't I?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Poke wrote:Love the shipping container idea, though there's no space to get it between the house and the neighbours and into the back garden.
Arrange a Contract Lift from a crane hire company? (though to be fair it would add a couple of hundred pounds to the already compartively high price of the shipping container).
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 am

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 am

Same dilema in my last house so I built a shed with racks for everything (7 boards, 5 bikes but alas only 3 boats!).

I'm now old and have sea kayaks as well but luckily I also now live on a farm with a barn attached to our cottage so the sea kayaks fit.

...anyway age is a wonderful thing......mortgage, marriage and kids....like totally extreme man!!!

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Not making sure there is space for the toys when house huntting Rookie mistake, so it best be the right house. When we recently got our house the fact it had a garge almost as big as the house sold it to me, of coure living in Reading means the house is a tiny over priced shoe box.

But back to your Dilema, if you want lots of security the container in the back garden isnt that hard, a decent crane hire for 2hrs including set up should be able to sort lifing that for you (assuming you prep where you are going to stick it first). If your flexible you might even get it fairly cheap to.
Has the house not got a spare room to stick them in? A friend living in a 2 up 2 down with not yard in Manchester used to keep his on pullies attached to the ceiling in the living room.

But personally I would go with a custom shed option for boats, get the timber and do it yourself and then get a small shed for the bikes and bits (or build a small shed). That way you dont have to make a massive shed/storage space plus when you get the sea boats you only have redesign/rebuild a small something. Hope it all goes well.

Small_Paul

Post by Small_Paul » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:38 pm

I recently got one of these. After searching aound I got it for £300.
Then got concrete delivered for the base which cost £200.
No windows and you can put some of these in to bolt stuff down to.

I'm not sure what a shipping container in your back garden would do to the value of your property.

I think a shed is the best way because you want somewhere to dry your kit aswell. We all know how bad wet kit can smell, there is no place for it inside.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Small_Paul wrote:We all know how bad wet kit can smell, there is no place for it inside.
Why not build a drying room? Doesn't need to be very big (in fact smaller would be cheaper to run)?
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Write off your downstairs bog. Loads of rails up high and you get plenty of space to hang kit. Then you can either bung in a dehumidifier, or open the window and put a heater in there. At the mo I just open the window and that is sufficient to dry kit overnight. I have replainted the walls in nice thick bathroom paint, and have a tiled floor.

Can I suggest you also buy a trampoline, and dig a pump track in the garden!

Gimme a shout next time you are Betws way,
Tom

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Poke wrote:No. No. No. I've got at least 10 years before it gets to that :-) Haven't I?
Ten years to sea kayaking maybe, but marriage and house equals babies and that means five years till you will have SOT's to take the kids out, a big shed/garage is the only option. :-)

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 am

Tom_Laws wrote:Write off your downstairs bog.
The problem with that is that I don't have an upstairs one...

I do have a house and mortgage and live alone though so the shower screen and banisters (got a decent length one on the landing as well as up the stairs) make excellent hanging rails for drying kit and kites. Of course at this time of year having a garden means you can dry some stuff outside in between showers. You can also hose the salt off when you have got old enough to get the sea kayaks.

Crap, I will soon have plural sea kayaks - how old does that make me?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”