How many boats can you fit in a ford transit?

Inland paddling
Lou Clutton

How many boats can you fit in a ford transit?

Post by Lou Clutton » Fri May 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Right...having a bit of a nightmare trying to decide which size van to hire to take on our club trip to Slovenia. There are only 8 of us going and will need a van which is big enough for 8 creek boats, kit, camping gear etc. Is a ford transit (swb, 280) going to be big enough? I'm thinking not but if anyone has any thoughts (sensible ones!) I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers

slowstroke

Re: How many boats can you fit in a ford transit?

Post by slowstroke » Fri May 06, 2011 4:36 pm

If your going to hire it, whats the difference between that and the next size up? divided by 8, cant worth worrying about.

If you already have the Van, and depending on the length of the boats, I think you'll be ok, dont forget you can pack a lot of kit inside each boat.

I assume the other's in the party will be going by other means, seeing that you'll only get Driver and possibly 1/2 others depending on how comfortable you want to be.

Lou Clutton

Post by Lou Clutton » Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Everyone else is flying out and hiring cars. Because we're under 25 it costs a crazy amount to hire a van so the price difference between the transit and the next size up is quite substantial. Cheers for the advice.

Incidentally, has anyone had any problems with certain hire companies? Struggling to find many companies that will hire to under 25s and who will allow you to take vans overseas :(

andy g

Post by andy g » Fri May 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Lou
The cheapest I have found is Burntree Rentals, http://www.burnt-tree.co.uk/
I don't know about under 25 as I regret that I have left my 20s long behind. There should be a local branch to you.
We have hired a VW Crafter from Dartford Van Rentals (almost as cheap ad more convenient) as we have 20 boats to transport to Slovenia.
We did try a trial pack at the clubhouse and comfortably got 16 river running boats in high top parcel van, you would get more if you have short playboats as you can stand them on end.
Maybe see you out there.
Andy
Meridian CC

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 pm

I reckon Jims van is about transit size (I pay lots of attention obviously), he has wooden shelving all down one side for tools and stuff, and we can still fit 8 boats (mostly creek, sometimes a playboat or 2) inside. It takes some planning, but without the shelving it would be easy to get 8 creek boats in. Boats are pointy, the kit fits in the spaces between the ends. Length might be an issue with a SWB. You will want one with a full height bulkhead behind the seats too.

Maybe hire one for an afternoon and try it?

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider » Fri May 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi there not sure you if you have considered this (sorry if you have) but:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the size of van you can hire may be limited to the type of driving licence the driver holds. If you passed your test within the past 10 years and have done no further tests then you will be limited to a van that has a maximum gross weight of 3.5tonnes. Most of the high top and long wheelbase vans will be "plated" to carry over this weight and as such you aren't legally allowed to drive them on your licence. I would check with the hire company as to what vans they have at 3.5tonnes and under to hire. Things like the short wheel base transit, VW transporter etc are ok but im not sure at what point they go over 3.5 tonnes so best to check.
Hope this helps

Chris

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 pm

It all depends on the length of the boats, but either way I think you'll struggle to get all 8 boats in a std length transit plus all your kit unless everyone knows to pack lite (no more than you can pack in your boat). Also, many hire vans don't come boarded out in the back so jamming your boats in will leave pretty obvious dents on the panels.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 pm

I used to drive out to Turkey with at least 8 boats (sometimes as many as 12) on the roof of a SWB transit or, even more of a challenge, a Sherpa minibus! Little hint tie a cord from the front bar to the rear bumper on both sides - this will stop the roof rack tilting forward when you brake.

benbrisbourne

Post by benbrisbourne » Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm

mountain_bikerider wrote:Hi there not sure you if you have considered this (sorry if you have) but:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the size of van you can hire may be limited to the type of driving licence the driver holds. If you passed your test within the past 10 years and have done no further tests then you will be limited to a van that has a maximum gross weight of 3.5tonnes. Most of the high top and long wheelbase vans will be "plated" to carry over this weight and as such you aren't legally allowed to drive them on your licence. I would check with the hire company as to what vans they have at 3.5tonnes and under to hire. Things like the short wheel base transit, VW transporter etc are ok but im not sure at what point they go over 3.5 tonnes so best to check.
Hope this helps

Chris
From experience an extra-long wheelbase Sprinter, with 3 people, 15-20 peoples worth of boats and kit, comes in at around 3.6 tonnes. From experience. Theoretically you should be fine Lou! Hope it turns out ok. If not just get Niall to drive ALL of your boats over...

waverley610

Post by waverley610 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Lou Clutton wrote:Is a ford transit (swb, 280) going to be big enough? I'm thinking not but if anyone has any thoughts (sensible ones!) I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers
Having driven both I can only speak for the baby transit (Ford Connect) in saying that the long wheel base is a different animal entirely from it's shorter sibling;
more respect on the road, higher cockpit with commanding vision, better headroom etc. Maybe the same also applies to the Transit proper.

If it's an 'age-thing' why not invite an 'elder' along primarily to take the wheel but also to offer pearls of wisdom on just about every eventuality you may encounter ?

Chas

mills82

Post by mills82 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 pm

In short no most hire vans will come with a bulk head which knocks off about 200mm off the overall length of load space so you would need a MWB

As for the size of the van you can legally drive most vans only the Jumbo's and some long wheel base designed to take higher loads ( the ones with twin wheels at the back) as it comes down to unladen weight.

We struggled to get a M burn in an old transit in the end had to go at an angle so anything longer you got no chance.

Alot of the cost will come down to insurance and breakdown assistance try negotiating a deal that you get your own. Some of the companies that I have for have done that to dramatically reduce the cost of rental Never tried it for abroad though. You should be able to get temporary cover.

And finally don't forget that if the van is over 2500KG you have different speed limits 60mph dual carrigeways 50mph single carrigeways and the police dont believe you when you say Sorry officer I didnt realise there was different speed limits.

chrism

Post by chrism » Fri May 06, 2011 11:18 pm

mills82 wrote:And finally don't forget that if the van is over 2500KG you have different speed limits 60mph dual carrigeways 50mph single carrigeways and the police dont believe you when you say Sorry officer I didnt realise there was different speed limits.
It's 2 tonnes MLW, and only car derived vans get the higher limits, so anything you can get even 1 boat in the back of will have the lower limits. Lower limits also apply to minibuses.

paddletastic2

Post by paddletastic2 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:18 am

Go along to the hire company with the boats and try it out! This is what we did when 14 of us went to Slovenia. The first van was way too small. The hire company are moree than happy for you to try this before you hire.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sat May 07, 2011 9:17 am

mills82 wrote:As for the size of the van you can legally drive most vans only the Jumbo's and some long wheel base designed to take higher loads ( the ones with twin wheels at the back) as it comes down to unladen weight.
The licence categories apply to laden weights (MAM) or gross weight (GVW).

DanJ

Post by DanJ » Sat May 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Depends on the size of the boats - you will probably find that medium and large sized creek boats will only fit in a SWB on a diagonal. Therefore taking up extra space. The LWB van is the way forward.

warren

Post by warren » Sat May 07, 2011 10:56 pm

I have a MWB and M roof height transit.
mine has a crew cab and have had managed to only get 4 creek and 2 play boats in it .
if i didnt have the crew cab i would easly get 8 creek boats ,kit and camping gear in and still have a bit of room to spare.
As for the weight ya will prob be carrying about 3Qtrs of a tonne. Boats are hollow and kit aint that heavy even when wet ,so i would suggest ya get 2.5 ltrs or bigger (engien size) as some of them there hills are steep and need power to get up them.

try not to get one with rear window,s as ya can bet ya bottom dollar a boat will go through them.

Warren

slowstroke

Post by slowstroke » Tue May 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Not sure how far you've got with this, but if your still having a nightmare getting a van, there is another option... tow a trailer, course I don't know your ciircumstances but it may be an option, you'll need tow bar ... I hired a trailer for the South of France, worked out cheaper than a Van, but then I had a tow bar fitted already.... just a thought!

B.Bairstow

Post by B.Bairstow » Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 am

I was expecting to be amazed by some stupid picture.... im very dissapointed!

Nick_

Post by Nick_ » Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 am

See if someone has a Citroen Relay to try out. When I was looking at vans this was by far the roomiest in the back and should take boats lengthways in the L2 option, possibly the L1. Or the Fiat/Peugeot offerings.
See you on the water!

PeterG89

Post by PeterG89 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 pm

B.Bairstow wrote:I was expecting to be amazed by some stupid picture.... im very dissapointed!
something like this? Thats two layers deep by the way, we were knocking on for 30 boats in there

Lou Clutton

Post by Lou Clutton » Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Sorry for the lack of amusing/impressive photos.

Thank you everyone for the advice. We've decided to go for a different (considerably cheaper!) option.

Cheers x

B.Bairstow

Post by B.Bairstow » Sat May 14, 2011 12:25 am

Cheers peter! Im a happy man now!

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Tue May 17, 2011 10:45 am

Van ? I just recently discovered that I can get 24 cockpits in a Subaru Legacy. Four playboats inside, six creek boats on the roof, two double and ten single sea kayaks on my trailer... and yes, it will definitely go up the hills like that.

Andy

Timmy Mallet

Post by Timmy Mallet » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 am

Depends how thin you slice them.

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks » Tue May 17, 2011 11:34 am

Long Wheelbase Renault Trafic or VW Transporter will do it. SWB are only 2.4m (8ft) at Floor Level so the Bulkhead will make it shorter as it gets higher.

These are all Sit on Tops too!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”