Stolen Kayaks - £1000 reward

Inland paddling
Pyranha Factory

Stolen Kayaks - £1000 reward

Post by Pyranha Factory »

In short thieves have broken in to the Pyranha Yard over the weekend and stolen around 40 kayaks, they were mainly Deluxe spec Ina Zone 232's, syncro 5 and base I4M's and also a bunch of single colour Black I4's in syncro 5 ( which will be very noticeable due to the limited edition colouring ). These boats were due to be scrapped as they have failed strict quality control tests and may be unsuitable for use. ( this will not affect any boats already made or sold ). Many of the other boats have order numbers written on the bags and will look very new as they were only finished last week.

Obviously receiving stolen goods is a crime. Pyranha have a full list of the serial numbers so someone is bound to come across theses boats sooner or later.

These products are also only sold through the Pyranha Authorised Dealer network, so if you see a new Pyranha kayak for sale in a strange place or are privately offered a very new looking Ina Zone Deluxe, I4 or other Pyranha kayak that has the serial number erased or tampered with ( none leave the factory un-numbered ) please get their details and contact us immediately and we can check that the boat is totally legitimate for you.

Pyranha are also offering a substantial reward ( £1000 in cash and a legitimate free kayak! ) to anyone who provides information that leads to a conviction of the thieves.

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards and Happy boating

Tim Sadler

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

dam, what a sad end to a great weekend with you lot away down at the marsport event

however i'm sure they will be found and court very soon as 40 kayaks are very hard to hide, they will have alot of trouble shifting them as the kind of people who buy them will be dubious about there origins

Jamie Adam

Post by Jamie Adam »

Bad luck guys, thats really sad. Ebay seems a likely place for them to end up, it might be worth everyone keeping an eye out for them there.

grinner

Post by grinner »

why would you want to steel 40 kayaks.
its not like you can hide them.
i will keep a look on ebay.
but i dont think they would sell them all at once.
they might sell some at events, try and part exchange them for one they can sell easy, or even a market.
did anyone see that programe on 1 at 9:15 in january.
this guy showed how easy it was to brake into people's houses that broke in.
he told you where he would sell the things. most things he would take to car boots and the stuff he couldnt sell went to charity shops.
because they dont know its stolen and think its normal.
put a message on some club boards.
they could be offerd them cheap if they buy them all.

good luck
radio man

Jim

Post by Jim »

Guys you are showing a bit of naievity here (not Tim, the others). The quantity stolen indicates it was a professional job, the thieves would have thought about where to hide 40 kayaks, like in a warehouse or a container.
I'm sure Tim doesn't need our very obvious suggestions on where to look for them, he's been in the business a while! My guess would be that they are on their way abroad where Pyranha have less eyes and ears, but all the same we should certainly keep an eye out for them at home and on holiday, I guess if anything the black I4's are going to be the ones that give them away.

JIM

Snooky...

naivety

Post by Snooky... »

I think some are also being naive that all kayakers are decent people, and therefore would not buy dodgy stuff!

Jamie adam

Post by Jamie adam »

I wasn't suggesting Tim look on ebay, I reckoned he would have thought of that! I meant everyone else, possibly on the overseas ebay sites as well because they may well end up abroad as you say Jim.

i3 bad boy

Post by i3 bad boy »

just leave it out man all the guy was doing is making people aware this has happened, he doesnt need anyones advise on where to look! there's a thing called insurance he will be covered with for this type of theft!

Hope all is well and the heads are sitting high at pyranha head office, these repribates will be caught in due course!

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Sorry, but the last post touched a raw nerve. I'm sure this was not the way it was intended, but it could be read as: 'theft doesn't matter - the insurance will sort it out'.

I'm sorry, but I have a real problem with people with that attitude (and I'm not saying this is I3's attitude). Being burgled is a horrible thing, whether it be directly (your own property) or indirectly (products your company has worked hard to produce). So what if your insurance company may eventually, awkwardly and begrudgingly give you some money back - that's not the point.

Good luck in catching the scrotes Tim - string 'em up by their short and curlies (legal metaphor!) when you do!

Mike.

i3 bad boy

Post by i3 bad boy »

sorry, i never ment it to read like that, theft is theft and a horrible thing to happen to anyone, what i was trying to say was Tim knows what he needs to do and people shouldnt be trying to tell him what they THINK he should be doing let the man do what he needs to do and am sure he knows that all customers and fellow members of the kayak worl will support him with the issue

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Guys, this is a discussion group, nobody should be criticised for discussing the theft.

FWIW I think Jim is right, and the container is probably already headed for Eastern Europe. 40 boats is far too many to be opportunist, they wouldn't fit into a white transit.
Steve Balcombe

Poke

Post by Poke »

Pyranha wrote:These boats were due to be scrapped as they have failed strict quality control tests and may be unsuitable for use.
I3 bad boy wrote:there's a thing called insurance he will be covered with for this type of theft!
If they were due to be scrapped will they get anything back at all? Are they worth anything if they are to be scrapped? I guess its not so much the financial loss as the principle of the matter (it does suck to have been burgled, no matter how big or small the loss). That, and the fact that they may be unsafe for whoever uses them eventually - not reflecting well on Pyranha if one of their boats fails due to a manufacturing fault... That ain't something thats covered by insurance!

Good luck in tracking/retrieving them!

Tim
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

nosnickid

Post by nosnickid »

Steve B wrote:40 boats is far too many to be opportunist, they wouldn't fit into a white transit.
I don't know about that, perhaps you need to go on a few tight-fisted Uni trips before making such a blanket statement...

Tim from Pyranha

Thanks guys..

Post by Tim from Pyranha »

Hey guys,

Thanks for your words of support ( i think? ). All comments and feedback are gratefully received :-)

Now we know that kayaking is generally a sport followed by nice people, so we can only hope that some nasty type offers one of these nice people one of our stolen kayaks...and that nice person lets us know and we catch the nasty types...following a conviction the nice person walks away with £1000 and a nice new kayak :-)

Yes we can live with this loss, but it just isn't cricket!!

So spread the word and keep your eyes out please folks

Oh and thanks to UKRGB for making this post sticky

Oh and i know i have to sort out my login, so you can actually see it is me each time!

Tim Sadler
Pyranha UK

grinner

Post by grinner »

Steve B wrote:
FWIW I think Jim is right, and the container is probably already headed for Eastern Europe. 40 boats is far too many to be opportunist, they wouldn't fit into a white transit.
that means that it would be planned for a bit
i dont think you could get a container straight away.
you would have to book and know that there wouldnt be many/anyone there to catch them is the place where the are kept.

unless they are storing them for a bit.
radio man

paddlersteve

Space in a van?

Post by paddlersteve »

I have every confidence you could fit 40 kayaks in a decent sized van. We've packed in over 30 boats in an Iveco a number of times and with that your talking corsicas, mountain bats, a topo duo as well as a load of smaller boats. Looking just at containers would be foolish, if they are heading to the continent, it would be a million times easier to load a van (or two vans) with boats and drive them yourself, probably be cheaper for a tight fisted tea leaf like the ones in question in my opinion.

PF1

FULLY OUTFITTED

Post by PF1 »

Just out of interest are the boats fully outfitted? surely they are just shells ? P

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

if its anything like palm they will just be shells, some a bit warped, or with thinner bits or some other problem,

have stuck this on TWP for you tim.

good luck, and if somone tries to sell me a dodgy boat i'll bring tar and feathers into play, before employing my stout stick!

Broc

Post by Broc »

Hi Tim, if you want I can translate your post in French and German to post it on eauxvives.org and soulboater.

Just give me the go ahead and I'll do it!

Tim From Pyranha

that would be sweet

Post by Tim From Pyranha »

Thanks Broc, we have notified our importers and distributors, but that would be great if you could do that.

Cheers

Tim Sadler
Pyranha UK

Broc

Post by Broc »

Tim, what email / phone number should I leave as contact?

Tim From Pyranha

details

Post by Tim From Pyranha »

use this info:

Pyranha

Marina Village

Preston Brook

Runcorn

Cheshire

WA7 3DW

England

Tel: 01928 716666

Fax: 01928 714399

e-mail: sales@pyranha.com

cheers

Tim

Broc

Post by Broc »

Done for the French - here is the link to the post:

http://www.eauxvives.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9949

Nes

Re: Thanks guys..

Post by Nes »

Tim from Pyranha wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for your words of support ( i think? ). All comments and feedback are gratefully received :-)

Now we know that kayaking is generally a sport followed by nice people, so we can only hope that some nasty type offers one of these nice people one of our stolen kayaks...and that nice person lets us know and we catch the nasty types...following a conviction the nice person walks away with £1000 and a nice new kayak :-)

Yes we can live with this loss, but it just isn't cricket!!

So spread the word and keep your eyes out please folks

Oh and thanks to UKRGB for making this post sticky

Oh and i know i have to sort out my login, so you can actually see it is me each time!

Tim Sadler
Pyranha UK
Tim, I've put a message on boatertalk.com for you.

Rockrat

Post by Rockrat »

I've put a message on our club forum - we're from the north-west so might be offered the boats - if they aren't already out of the country and across Europe.

It might be an idea to drop the boys at playak an email and get them to put it on their site - especially as their European based.
Iain Robinson
rockratrobinson

J5HER

Encouragement

Post by J5HER »

Just to say, Peak UK had a few boats nicked from a container a few years back and they were recovered succesfully after a silly slip-up from the thieves.

Good luck.

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Tim,

Presumably you have already seen this:

http://www.the-watershed.co.uk/mb/2268.html

Note the message about someone trying to sell boats in Anglesey.

Regards
Martin

shore-thing

Post by shore-thing »

I'll put a notice up on the Poole Harbour Canoe Club website.

Good luck

Pyranha // P&H

Thanks for all your help :-)

Post by Pyranha // P&H »

We have had a great response from the paddling public...:-)

Hopefully should be able to track them down soon.

Tim Sadler
Pyranha/P7H

Nes

Post by Nes »

Glad we could be of help. Anything else we could do to help?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”