Some Advice for fellow GoPro users

Inland paddling
lofty276

Some Advice for fellow GoPro users

Post by lofty276 »

You may have all discovered this already, but I know I would definitely have appreciated some nuggets of advice, so here some of the things I've learnt (the hard way) since buying my GoPro.

1. Definitely use a large SD card, the files are massive, and it will avoid you missing out on something because the camera stopped rolling half way through the day. I use a 32GB sd card now and I’ve not filled it on a weekend trip yet (well not quite filled it but almost and probably could).

2. Charge it fully before you use it! Thankfully I can charge mine in the car with my tomtom charger.

3. Bring the instruction leaflet away with you. Sometimes you find yourself pressing buttons frantically trying to remember what the settings were before you started fiddling!

4. Always Always make sure the red LED is flashing before you head off. A couple of times I’ve pressed the shutter button and not realised it wasn’t filming because I hadn’t pressed it properly, only realising when I came to turn it off.

5. Double check what setting you have it on, you can inadvertently press the mode button while mounting the camera and you end up with a single picture instead of 30mins of film. :(

6. Test out the angle of the camera mount before you start filming one off, never to be repeated antics. It might sound a bit sad but I spent the afternoon testing the angle of my camera on my boat and helmet, then played it back on my computer. I changed the angle then recorded a couple of seconds stopped and changed the angle again. Of course if you have the LED screen all this is unnecessary as you can play back the stuff you’re shooting and adjust accordingly. It’s a luxury I can’t afford right now.

7. Leave the camera rolling, it’s tempting to stop and start filming because you want to save space on the card. Fight the urge, something always happens when the camera isn’t rolling and you’ll be kicking yourself because you can’t turn the camera on fast enough! Or you forget that the camera isn’t rolling and break out and it’s not until the next time you go to turn it off you realise you haven’t recorded the last 20mins of fun! (What I have started doing is stopping then immediately starting the recording again to make playback for editing a bit more manageable and less tedious)

8. To avoid condensation forming on the lens when the case gets cold, open the polycarb case up if it has been closed in the car or tent, before you start filming. This is mainly a problem when the air is warm and the water is cold.

9. Most definitely secure the camera to your helmet/boat with some cord. I managed to swipe the camera clean of the front of my boat with my paddle whilst surfing Cafe wave last weekend, and was glad that I had secured it to the grab handle!

Hope some of this is helpful, please feel free to share any wisdom gained whilst using your GoPro

Thanks
Rob

waterbourne

Re: Some Advice for fellow GoPro users

Post by waterbourne »

Can we see some of your footage please?.... I love Go Pro movies.... I want to get one as soon as I have enough dosh...

wakey

Post by wakey »

do you know if you can use a larger card than the recommended 2gb on the gopro wide ?

markrobinson_1

Post by markrobinson_1 »

wakey wrote:do you know if you can use a larger card than the recommended 2gb on the gopro wide ?
It depends on what firm ware you're using I believe, I'm using a GoPro Wide with an 8GB card, If I remember correctly it will just record files up to 2GB after that it's just a case of starting to film again.

Tip for the GoPro Wide that I've learnt the hard way: If you're filming something don't let the batteries run out, when you come to try and find it you will have a file of zero size and nothing to show. :(

aria230

Post by aria230 »

I'm looking into buying a gopro, most likely the hd hero 960. One thing that puts me off is the water on the lense. It seems that on some video's there is always water but on other video's there isnt one drop! Is there some way of preventing the water? Maybe a water repelent or something?

Cheers
Chris

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Get cat4 SD cards, (Think this is the ones), they give a good quality and don't corrupt as often.

Buy loads of mounts and put them on EVERYTHING!

Good light is still useful...

http://www.vimeo.com/22811757?ab - couple of weeks ago, slush fun ski!

lofty276

Post by lofty276 »

This the footage from my first outing with the camera, I used Windows movie maker, hence the change in compression. I used r3 and r4. the r3 has the black top and bottom.

Anyone recommend any home editing software for windows. I've been looking at Cyberlink PowerDirector 8
It seems that on some video's there is always water but on other video's there isnt one drop! Is there some way of preventing the water? Maybe a water repelent or something?
I've been looking into this too, anyone got any advice?

freddie

Post by freddie »

lofty276 wrote:I've been looking into this too, anyone got any advice?
Lick it.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

freddie wrote:
Lick it.

That's your answer to everything.

Rain-ex or bike visor cleaner will do the trick!

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

2. Charge it fully before you use it! Thankfully I can charge mine in the car with my tomtom charger.
I would be careful recommending that, I did similar last summer. I charged it up with my tom tom wall adaptor. Big mistake it smelt of burnt electronics and didnt work after that. Thankfully Gopro replaced it for me.

From now on I only ever charge it from my computer.

lofty276

Post by lofty276 »

Tom_Laws wrote:
freddie wrote:
Lick it.

That's your answer to everything.

Rain-ex or bike visor cleaner will do the trick!
I'l see how licking it goes and then maybe look into bike visor stuff haha.

PS I liked the video Tom, nicely done

freddie

Post by freddie »

It's gotta be a good lick, plenty of juice on the lens, if you know what I mean...
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

PeterG89

Post by PeterG89 »

freddie wrote:
Lick it.
when i did a scuba diving taster we were told to spit on the inside of the goggles and wipe them so they didnt steam up, worked a treat! Stops water sticking

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

And indeed it does. As my diving mate once said (in a thick arabic accent...) "The Greener, the cleaner"

Strad

Post by Strad »

lofty276 wrote: (What I have started doing is stopping then immediately starting the recording again to make playback for editing a bit more manageable and less tedious)
a good idea not just for edit, but also in case of a corruption, better to lose a 5 min section then 30 mins of video...

As for editing software, I use adobe premiere at work and it's excellent, there is an elements version if you want cheaper software (the elements pshop/prem package is fantastic value if you also want a still editor). I've also used wax and jahshaka in the past, both pretty good for freebies (Wax is compositor but can still edit to an extent)
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

KDEnlive is free and edits GoPro just fine. Oh, and you don't have to buy crappy Windows and get viruses and reinstall every couple of weeks, either :-)

kayakbigal

Post by kayakbigal »

Hi
I noticed a few comments about memory cards. You need to remember the card category is effectively the speed of the card and the bigger the better. You memory card will have number on it (2,4,6 etc), usually in a box and that tells you the "cat". Someone suggested cat 4; I would suggest this is the minimum as the camera is a decent HD effort. Try getting a 6 or even 10, you'll get better results. I just paid around £35 for a 16gb cat 6 card, so it's not that expensive. Al

JayC

Post by JayC »

Also if you're having big problems with the lens steaming on the inside, rub a little dab of toothpaste on the inside then wipe it off. That's unofficial advice from their customer service guys and it works a treat.

4starmike

Post by 4starmike »

When on the bank filming (rather than in your boat), try to get the camera as close to the subject as possible. I've had a few successful attempts so far with various ways (2:05 onwards): Video

I've used and still using transcend SD cards class 6 and they work fine with my cameras. Plus I get to use them in my DSLR too. Best of both worlds. For a class 10 at 16GB, you're looking at £18, HERE.

Two batteries are ideal if you're away for the weekend and have no way of charging it up, when the power decreases.

I've also found a cheap cap for the GoPro useful for when the camera is out of the case, when perhaps charging up or getting data from the camera, when the mini usb cable is attached. It's a cover for the lens and it works a treat. One on eBay, HERE.
Mike
Vimeo

mantamx

Post by mantamx »

JayC wrote:Also if you're having big problems with the lens steaming on the inside, rub a little dab of toothpaste on the inside then wipe it off. That's unofficial advice from their customer service guys and it works a treat.

this is also a trick from diving btw - all new masks are supposed to go through this, and many re-do it every few months..

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

when i used to paint ball marshali we used a watered down fairy liquid solution,wiped it on then of this stoped the gogglessteeming upand waterran off themquickly, cheeper than rainx or goggle spray, and imsure every one has access to washing upliquid

Rinseout

Post by Rinseout »

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... oduct.html

I cant seem to fault mine yet, 32gb class 10 SD card for £18 works just as well as any other top brand card ive used, not just in Gopros either works great in my DSLR as well.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”