Best Website design

Inland paddling
Timmy

Best Website design

Post by Timmy »

Whilst this dry spell of boredom of non boating is upon us until the Alps/Weekend what do people think is the best designed website (with reference to paddling) and what should be featured on a good Canoe Club site?

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

most of the big names are lacking soemwhat. local paddler is very well designe if a little sexist, my clubs website Rucc.co.uk is quite well designed but slightly lacking in informative content as it's all beried deep within the forums. thameweir is good but i get the impression the back end is hard work and could be better

this site is ok and has loads of good content but phpBB is clunky, and the site has a feel of hand construction to it

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

It sure ain't UKRGP! In defence of this site, it's a victory of function over fashion...and yes, I'm well aware that it could be so much more functional. I have a team of techie gnomes working on this right now...slowly...

How about this as an example of good practice... http://www.phcc.org.uk/ ...does everything you'd want a club site to do, surely?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

nickburns

Post by nickburns »

Glasgow Uni website is quite good i think

www.gla.ac.uk/clubs/canoe

well as far as uni club sites go. But i suppose i'm biased as i'm a member of the club although i have nothing to do with the design and upkeep of it!

Nick
Heisenberg may have slept here.

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

How about this as an example of good practice... http://www.phcc.org.uk/ ...does everything you'd want a club site to do, surely?
Agreed well designed site,does everything you want it to do, perhaps lacking a little pazazz....

dont even get me started on what i think of the GUCC website

Rockrat

Playak

Post by Rockrat »

Hia,

Quite a fan of Playak. Like the design and the news section is updated regulary - unlike some paddling websites. Got some good content as well - in the way of reviews, gallaries and games to name a few.

Got sent a link the other day http://www.youngextremists.com. Site about four freestyle paddlers in the North-West of England. The site looks good but is still in the development stages - however i can only view it at school.
Iain Robinson
rockratrobinson

waverley610

best guidebook (non UK)

Post by waverley610 »

I would nominate www.alabamawhitewater.com
the guidebook/rivers section has tons of stuff,
a great clickable graded state map, topo maps,
pictures, water quality, trip reports, gradient levels,
rain levels, shuttles and even a forum.

there's a picture somewhere of a paddler standing by a sewage geyser!

Martyn Read

Post by Martyn Read »

lozbrown wrote:Rucc.co.uk is quite well designed but slightly lacking in informative content as it's all beried deep within the forums.
Sorry Loz, I don't think that your site is an example of best practice. Looks far to difficult to find out info, and surely that's what good design is all about.

I disagree that PHP is clunky on this site. The forums work well.

Whilst the design of UKRGB looks a bit home grown, it's functional and is easy to find the content you want.

shore-thing

Post by shore-thing »

Thanks for the mention. We are currently playing around with getting our content into a more user friendly model within the legacy architecture.

I agree it could do with a little more pazazz ,and it will have when it gets an all new redesign sometime soon!

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

i like ukrgb anyway. function over form, but still top job. TWP is god for pretty pics and some good stuff on the forum after the purges!! unsponsored.co.uk can be good, playak is good.

got to like basic, simple sites that work really!

shameless plug for www.freewebs.com/biggerboys

Post by Guest »

clean, fresh and does the business.
www.dartphotos.com
J

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

Martyn Read wrote:
lozbrown wrote:Rucc.co.uk is quite well designed but slightly lacking in informative content as it's all beried deep within the forums.
Sorry Loz, I don't think that your site is an example of best practice. Looks far to difficult to find out info, and surely that's what good design is all about.

I disagree that PHP is clunky on this site. The forums work well.

Whilst the design of UKRGB looks a bit home grown, it's functional and is easy to find the content you want.
yep i agree about the content/info being too dificult to get hold of at the moment, i have plans to change this but currently very difficult to implement due to complete lack of server access

but i do think its clean and looks good and has a good style to it even if content is lacking or difficult to find

i find phpBB a little rough around the edges compared to something like invision (like TWP) which is closely followed by ikonboard (like unsposered). phpbb is also quite insecure
it's functional and is easy to find the content you want
i believe this could also be said about TWP but twp looks alot more designed and better looking than UKRGB.

with UKRGB i dont like the plain text links, with no onmouseover info in the CSS and not very much formatting. And i still think grey is never the best colour for anything unless your very boring. i liked it when the forums messed up wnd went back to the default colours, which i think were better
as with most sites it could do with someone with some knowledge and alot of time to customise it and do some more design on it.

i dont think things need to be poor to be simple, functional and easy to use.

My quarm with TWP is that all the info, articles and photo articles that appear on the front page get lost in the either and never seem to make it to the archive. i believe this is because it's too much hard work and/or too complicated for non-techies (james) to do. i think the back end is to blame for this

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

shore-thing wrote:

Thanks for the mention. We are currently playing around with getting our content into a more user friendly model within the legacy architecture.

I agree it could do with a little more pazazz ,and it will have when it gets an all new redesign sometime soon!
nope ive decided to take back that comment about the pazazz, its got alot more pazazz than alot of sites with a nice montage on the front that links inwith the design of the rest of the site. design that spreads perfectly and evenly throuout the site, well made imformative icons for things, it is indeed a very nice site.
only thing a would change is possibly put a simple CSS onmouseover even on the links like an underline or slight colour change or bold or somthing

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

lozbrown wrote:simple CSS onmouseover
It may be 'simple' to you, but I guarantee you that the majority of folk here - myself included - haven't the faintest clue what you're talking about.

????
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dug

Post by Dug »

I'd offer a hand at helping with the site being a computing student and all, but I'm just 2 lazy ;-) to be bothered to learn HTML on top of Java/C/SML

Dug

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dug wrote:I'd offer a hand at helping with the site being a computing student and all, but I'm just 2 lazy ;-) to be bothered to learn HTML on top of Java/C/SML
/php/asp/javascript/xml/blimey I hadn't realised I was such a polyglot. Actually I don't really speak php but since I'm unlikely to meet anyone who does, I think I'll probably get away with it.
Steve Balcombe

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

guidebook wrote:
lozbrown wrote:simple CSS onmouseover
It may be 'simple' to you, but I guarantee you that the majority of folk here - myself included - haven't the faintest clue what you're talking about.

????
sorry mate, will demonstrate, scroll to the very top of this topic and next to the "new topic" and "post reply buttons you will see some text that says
www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk Forum Index -> Inland
if you hold your mouse over this, you will notice an underline appears, this is a CSS mouseover, other links on the forums turn orange on mouse over, other do both

but the rest of your site does not..... if you would like i will write you a css script to do this

dgoddard

Post by dgoddard »

Can i throw http://www.marlowcc.org.uk in, its recently been updated and id be interested in some feed back.

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

lozbrown wrote:... if you hold your mouse over this, you will notice an underline appears, this is a CSS mouseover, other links on the forums turn orange on mouse over, other do both but the rest of your site does not..... if you would like i will write you a css script to do this
That's because some aspects of the forum design come from the phpBB forum defaults (a few have been altered), but the rest of UKRGB uses its own stylesheet. UKRGB existed years before the phpBB forum was set up. We did actually ditch the orange at one point because it's not always as readable as you'd wish, but it came back when we had to reinstall the forum a while ago and I've never fixed it.

These things do tend to get low priority, Mark concentrates mostly on content which is why the web site is so good, and I do, er, as little as I can get away with :)
Steve Balcombe

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

thats cool

whilst i agree that the content of this website absolutly rocks, this is a post about web design which i feel is a different matter,

i perfectly understand the yeah i could make it look so cool if i had all the time in the world and nothing better to do but realisticly people like you and i have little or no time to spare and when you do theres a kayak in your garage and rivers to be paddled :-)

Alex4219

Websites

Post by Alex4219 »

No expert on websites whatsoever, however our local canoe club website seems very usable: www.adurcanoeclub.co.uk .

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

i taught myself some real basic html by looking at other people's source (right click on a page, view source, go on, try it'll scare ya!!) and thats all i need. any complicated stuff i get from some freaky geeky website full of scaryt scary stuff!!!

tomhollis

Post by tomhollis »

I have to say there are some nice sites out there, some of these sites are really informative and useful. I realy like http://www.marlowcc.org.uk/ and http://www.dartphotos.com/ The navigation on these two sites is really nice and easy to use. They have used frames on the second site though which means you can only ever link to the front page, never the specific one you want.

I like http://www.gla.ac.uk/clubs/Canoe/ as well. Someone got a bit overenthusiatic about flash though, once you get past the first menu it is great, but the animated menu is just unnecassary I would have thought.

I don't think I could use http://www.alabamawhitewater.com/ though, four frames, whoa what is going on there?

The http://www.phcc.org.uk/ site is nice. The only suggestion I would have is avioding links that say 'click here' or 'link' doesn't do much for your google rating.

My favourite though is probably http://www.thepoly.co.uk/

Maybe we should collect a few sites and have a vote.

Tom

Poke

Post by Poke »

Obviously biased but personally quite like our (ICCC) uni site.. Bit basic at first impressions, but very easy to navigate, does exactly what its there to do (tell freshers where to find us/what we do), not to mention the hyowge database of 60+ trip reports...

Starting to get a bit more complex in terms of functionality, the latest addition being a Wiki page for trip organisations...

Guess it depends what you mean by "design" of a website. Functional or pretty (or both)?!
Last edited by Poke on Mon May 23, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Post by Guest »

Well i think the nucc website is probably this best...if it ever comes back online...tom?

tomhollis

Post by tomhollis »

Don't blame me, it is the uni's fault. There are better sites than that here anyway, but thanks for the vote.

Post by Guest »

i quite like Strathclyde uni's site - bits arn't working at the moment but its usualy quite good. It also has a wap address for finding river levels and its a great adress... www.wetdreams.org.uk

James F

Post by James F »

"My quarm with TWP is that all the info, articles and photo articles that appear on the front page get lost in the either and never seem to make it to the archive"

I've been begging for an "auto-archive" for front page articles (searchable database, like the threads on the forum) for literally years. If anyone is able to create that, I would be very grateful for the help.

Tom R

Post by Tom R »

I've been begging for an "auto-archive" for front page articles (searchable database, like the threads on the forum) for literally years. If anyone is able to create that, I would be very grateful for the help.
I've made a start, it's just finding the time to finish it. The quick option would be to make the forum that holds the news articles viewable to anyone (but not editable/postable).

There's loads of other things I'd like to do to the site, but I'm extremely busy until the end of September, after that I'll hopefully have a lot more free time.

Post by Guest »

wHAT ABOUT STIRLING CANOE CLUB WEBSITE??

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”