Peli problems?

Inland paddling
Airmiles

Peli problems?

Post by Airmiles »

I bought a new Peli-case yesterday (1150).

The edges of the lid looked ever-so-slightly (0.4mm?) bowed, so I thought I'd test it out by filling it with weights and sticking it in the bath for 20 minutes.

Result - slight but definite leakage.

Is this normal? I thought they were meant to be totally waterproof?

Miles

Post by Guest »

not normal, would take it back if i were you. (they are ment to be insured against everything exept children under 6 and elephants!)

TomW

Been there......

Post by TomW »

I too bought a small Pelicase about a year ago. The lid looked slightly bowed but I just assumed that was how it was supposed to be. Anyway, I fitted it for my digital camera (Fitted easily, no internal pressure on the lid) and went off hapilly paddling and snapping away, untill one trip relatively shortly after buying the case. At the end of the trip and upon opening the case, the inside was P*ss wet through. I put this down to a stupid lapse on my own behalf and thought that I must have forgotten to put one of the latches on at one point it couldn't possibly be the new 'bomb-proof' case. This suprised me because I'm usually pretty good with things like that.

I carried on using the case after a big 'camera and case' drying out session, however the case leaked again on another trip, this time destroying my camera.

I wasn't a happy bunny, I'm not so stupid as to make the same mistake twice and am fairly sure the case was at fault. Subsequently I returned to the shop where I bought it.

I explained my experiences and they came out with a line similar to: We've never had any problems before... and gave me the impression it must have been my fault. They did however offer to leave it in a bucket of water over night to test it. Which they did. However on returning to the shop they claimed there was nothing wrong with it and they would not replace it.

I wasn't overly happy with the outcome of the dealings with the shop, however from their perspective there were little grounds to make an exchange. Personally from a customer service / product gaurentee perspective I was just expecting a simple straight up exchange, no matter what the complaint.

I have never trusted taking my camera out in it again since the whole episode unless it was in the pelicase inside a drybag. I would never trust any other small pelicase again in the future either.

Two theories I've heard passed around about leaky pelicases is that the rubber seals do need replacing from time to time, but mine was only 2 months old so I assumed it didn't need a new seal, or more likely the bow in the lid is the main culprit, which from personal observation only seems to affect smaller cases.

I've heard several other people mention leaky Pelicases too, which I found interesting, given the way the cases are marketed.

Having just got back from Cali a week or two ago I've now decided that Watershed bags are actually the way forward, unless you have an expensive digi SLR camera in which case a larger pelicase is probably better and less likely to be crap.

Excuse the long drawn-out nature of this thread and feel free to comment, especially if you've suffered similar problems and actually got a result in getting an exchange.....

Cheers,

Tom

Daffers

Post by Daffers »

Thats an ouch to happen there...

Did you ever go direct to Pelicase/makers of them?? I say this with respect to a mate that had a problem with a pair of Oakley sunnies (£140 worth). Had them for a while (well, well over two months) and sent them off and got a new pair back.... Sometimes if you go stright to the people they can and do help more...

I diffiently feel that if you pay good/more money for stuff, you not only expect a decent product but you usually get better customer service....

He also got a brand new thermarest (when it growe in a way it just shouldn't), after having his old one for 3/4 years the other week... Maybe hes just a jammie git... (But that wasn't through therarest direct, cotsworld actaully).....

Chris C

Post by Chris C »

if you have a problem with a prduct take it back to the shop and they should either send it back to the manafacturer or replace it 4rm stock if they can see a definate problem. It sounds like the shop you used are not very helpful and i would personally find one with better customer services. If they do not help contact the manfacture and then send it backto them.

For my digi cam a canon powershot iuse there specially made waterproof housing and have been for over a year now no probs

philm (nli)

Cascade Designs

Post by philm (nli) »

Daffers wrote:He also got a brand new thermarest (when it growe in a way it just shouldn't), after having his old one for 3/4 years the other week... Maybe hes just a jammie git... (But that wasn't through therarest direct, cotsworld actaully).....
Cascade Designs, makers of the ThermaRest and several other bomber pieces of gear, offer a lifetime guarantee which covers delamination among other things - I know several people who have taken advantage of this...

Not "jammie"... just savvy.

Poke nli

Post by Poke nli »

After reading this last night i got a little concerned and did a soak test of my peli (1150 i think). The edges of the lid on mine are also bowed - i just assumed this to be normal. So long as the rubber seal makes contact it should be water tight.

Luckily it was, so i can't help you. Just letting you know that normally the lids do seem to be slightly bowed.. If that helps at all!

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

Hmm, I've just got a new 1150 which also seems to have slightly bowed edges on the lid. I will be taking it to italy this evening with my shiny new camera, if I find any water anywhere I'll report back.

MattC

Post by MattC »

Yep, I have the same issue.

Again I tested it the other day and it leaked. Thankfully I have never swam with it in the boat so no worries issues with the camera as such, but am definately going to get it sorted.

Matt

Rich P

Micro Peli

Post by Rich P »

I know everyone here has the full size peli cases but.... If anyone is thinking of buying a micro-peli case be warned they aren't very waterproof at all. The instructions say 3 feet is all they will take and mine was certainly wet inside after it took a little swim so be warned.

Rich

Westy

Post by Westy »

This is taken from the UK Peli website wrt to the new micro cases:

"The new Micro Case™ Series cases are crushproof, watertight, have an automatic purge valve to allow for pressure equalisation and an impact absorbing elastomeric liner."

This is taken from http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/produ ... ucts_id=31

"The new 1010 Micro Case is part of the Micro Cases, a new range of cases to protect your valuable small items. They have the same look as larger Peli, plus they combine a new attractive style, and offer the legendary strength of Peli Cases.
With the new Micro Cases you will be able to protect your cell phone, photographic camera, Personal Digital Assistants (PDA), electronic games, pager, radio, and other valuable small items. Micro Cases will totally protect your valuables, as they are watertight, airtight, crushproof and have an automatic pressure purge valve. Every Micro case is available in solid color or clear with matching liner and speed lock. They come with a ring and a lanyard for easy attachment.

The Micro Cases are excellent for trips or outdoor activities when you need to protect your valuables from water, falls, knocks, sun, atmospheric changes, etc. and as they are small sized so they can fit into luggage, bags, glove compartments, other Peli Cases and so on.
And remember, smaller does not mean less strong, the Micro Cases are just as durable as the larger models. Unconditionally guaranteed forever."

The implication is that the new micro cases should be as strong and water tight as their bigger brethren.

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

I've got an 1150. I've had no problems with it but then I haven't (yet) sent it off to run anything without me. The 1150 is a much lighter build than the 1200, I knew that when I bought it but decided to take a chance.
Steve Balcombe

paddlersteve

Same again

Post by paddlersteve »

I've got the 1200 peli case and used it for about a year (without any problems as far as I'm aware). I'd noticed in the past that the lid seems to bow somewhat when shut and did mean to test it but never got round to it.

But I'm currently filling my bucket of water as we speak, I'll let you know how I get tomorrow!

Steve

Poke

Post by Poke »

Procrastination over writing up my final year research project forced me to e-mail peli case pointing out this thread and asking them if they could comment..

They appear not to have commented directly, but did mail back saying this:
All our products carry a "Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee", if anyone has a Pelican case that appears bowed or is taking on water. By all means, please have them call our excellent customer service dept and they will issue the consumer a RGA# (Return Goods Authorization#). The consumer can return said case and we will exchange if for a new one. No problems.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

Yup, my new 1150 appeared to be taking on water despite there being very little water in my boat this week. I wasn't taking any chances with my shiny new camera and threw it all inside a dry bag. I'll test it properly tomorrow and get on to peli customer service.

-will-

Post by -will- »

i've got the 1150 too. Havent tested it, or had it wet, but the edges are bowed on mine too. Will give it a dunk and see...

Post by Guest »

I got given a big peli case for my birthday last year to put my camera in (a big manual one, not one of these little fancy digi ones) as i wanted to take it to spain with me to get some pictures for my a level photography, and lo and behold i got the same prob, i swam, it leaked and i got stuck replacing the camera. Not a mistake i want to do again.

Saying that though my smaller peli case is a gem and it works so well, i totally trust it as it has never leaked and ibve had it for about 2 years, has also been run over my by a car and didnt break..so there you are!!

Airmiles

Fixed!

Post by Airmiles »

Phew!

The shop replaced it with no quibbles, and the new one was bone-dry after 35 minutes. Hopefuly the dodgy ones are a minority.

Confusingly, the lid looks just as bowed...... as it did on other, larger cases as well.

I guess regular leak testing is the way to go - and make use of that guarantee!

P.S. I know I said 1150 - it's actually the 1120, i.e. the smallest of the "proper" ones.

Miles

james c

Post by james c »

just tested mine as a result of this thread and it also leaks (2 year old 1200) . A bit worrying as it had my brnad new slr in it for 2 weeks in uganda over easter . I keep meaning to grease the seal up like it says to do in the peli website , has anyone else tried this and found it makes a difference ?

Poke

Post by Poke »

Ok, theres at least 5 of us who've now tested their case, how has everyone done the test... Maybe mine didn't leak as i was too "nice" to it?!

Answer wrt following criteria:
1) Pelicase type
2) Time underwater
3) Depth of water (above the seal between lid and base)
4) How did you hold it under (if you put something heavy on top this could improve the seal?)
5) Did it leak?

So for mine..

1) 1150 case
2) 8 hours
3) 1 inch
4) Upside down with 2kg weight on top (so closing the seal a bit)...
5) No

Anyone else?

james c

Post by james c »

peli case 1200

had it upside down in a sink full fo water for about 4 hrs , weighted down with anything heavy i could find in the kitchen (placed on top of it) .

The case didn't fill up or anything but there was a pool of water in the bottom . even a quater of that ammount of water would be enough to ruin whatever was inside .

hodgkins

And another!

Post by hodgkins »

Poke wrote: 1) Pelicase type
2) Time underwater
3) Depth of water (above the seal between lid and base)
4) How did you hold it under (if you put something heavy on top this could improve the seal?)
5) Did it leak?
1) 1150
2) 48 Hours
3) 1cm
4) 2KG on the hinge side of box
5) Yes.
Impressed? - Not.

It too has had the 'bowed lid' look since I bought it - I didn't bother testing it then and luckily I havn't put it to the test with my camera in it. I'll be on the case this week...
Dave

Airmiles

x2

Post by Airmiles »

1) 1120
2) a - 20 min, b - 35 min
3) 8 inches
4) brass weights inside it, right way up
5) a yes - 2-3 tsp, b no

paddlersteve

Post by paddlersteve »

a) 1200
b) around 10 hours
c) 10 inches
d) dumbell weights inside, right way up
e) first time not a drop inside, second time 3 or 4 teaspoons of water.

One thing I had considered when it appeared to have leaked was when I removed it from the water I towelled it off before opening it almost immediately. Could there be a possibility that a little water was sucked in as I incliped the lid and broke the seal. Would about 10 inches of water pressure be enough to compress the case slightly through the pressure creating a slight vacuum. It has an automatic pressure purge, but how long would this take to equalise pressure (or even would it equalise pressure completely?) Anyone any thoughts?

I'm going to run the test again in the same conditions, but when I remove it, leave it 12 hours for any moisture around the seals to dry before opening it.

Will let you know results

Steve

james c

Post by james c »

ok , i just applied some vaseline round the seal of my case and left it in the sink again for a few hours . Not a drop of water leaked in despite being lower in the water (thanks to 5 tins of soup and two bottles of squash on top) .

It does say somewhere on the peli website that the seal should be regularly greased and it seems to have done the trick . will prob test again just to be sure .

suggest other people with similar problems get greased up and see if it makes a difference !

Poke

Post by Poke »

James, what sort of seal is it?
Doesn't vaseline corrode some types of rubber?

Hope not in your case... :-)

james c

Post by james c »

think they are neoprene seals aren't they ?

PF1

Leaky

Post by PF1 »

Not ideal, So far none of my pelicases have leaked. But then i would be very unhappy if they did. Flung my 1120 off a cliff with digi cam inside. Was aiming for an eddy...but hit the only boat in the area! No damage, no leak. However i managed to break one of the ribs off the outside pushing it into my boat...Peli products Uk replaced it for me within 3 days with a brand new one. No questions. I carry a 1300 most of the time and have never aimed to submerge it.... it has never leaked....any water at all would destroy my SLR! My theory is that nothing is perfect.
Would suggest you use a silicone lube rather than vaseline...this is probably not that good for the seal.
P

holebait

Post by holebait »

Yeah,

seen this before, A while back pelis changed slightly and have never been the same (About when the auto-purge valve appeared on the smaller cases)

Couple of things.

1. I think pyranha distribute the pelicases (correct me if i am wrong)
So maybe leak problems should head that way first.

2. testing by immersion with weights on TOP??? that helps to seal the case and flatten bowed lids.Wedge em or tie down to brick etc.

3. you can get new seals for em too.

4. If 8 litres of water can get inside me, it can get inside of anything.

Good luck

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

holebait wrote: A while back pelis changed slightly and have never been the same (About when the auto-purge valve appeared on the smaller cases)
I have an 1150 with an auto-purge valve and it has been fine. Not exactly conclusive evidence I know, but I thought I'd mention it.
Steve Balcombe

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”