ol

Nookie.........bikes???

Post by ol » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm

http://www.nookiebikes.co.uk/

Not one and the same surely....

funkidreadz

Re: Nookie.........bikes???

Post by funkidreadz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Nope, definitely not the same brand. Just a crazy same name thing going on...

Paddle safe
James

sparetyre2

Post by sparetyre2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:11 pm

No Definately not the same.
(and no April fools joke)

(a little bird told me....)
Nookie bikes & Nookie have chatted about any confusion and everyone is happy with each other because ...
they stay dry and we get wet!

Neither are trying to take credit for each other's quality, because, well,
they are both top quality in their own fields (or river).

It seems everybody's happy and loving their own sport.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:17 am

sparetyre2 wrote:Nookie bikes & Nookie have chatted about any confusion and everyone is happy with each other
I find that really surprising - and it's not just the old fusspot in me speaking here. Two companies with essentially the same name, and both in the "extreme sports" business - and don't kid yourself that there is no conflict here, you are selling into overlapping markets and either might easily want to diversify into the other's product range in the future. Even the typefaces chosen for the logos are eerily similar...

A couple of decent lawyers would have an absolute field day with this!
Steve Balcombe

morsey

Post by morsey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:36 am

"No brakes!" :-)

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 am

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:46 pm

It's probably to both companies' benefit. They are not competing with eachother, but I suspect many of their potential customers are the same. This means that rather than conflicting, they are unintentionally cross-selling eachother's name with no harm being done. It would only become an issue if one company had negative issues associated with it.

Way prefer the bikes logo though...
dave

sparetyre2

Post by sparetyre2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:57 am

Steve B wrote:
sparetyre2 wrote:Nookie bikes & Nookie have chatted about any confusion and everyone is happy with each other
I find that really surprising - and it's not just the old fusspot in me speaking here. Two companies with essentially the same name, and both in the "extreme sports" business - and don't kid yourself that there is no conflict here, you are selling into overlapping markets and either might easily want to diversify into the other's product range in the future. Even the typefaces chosen for the logos are eerily similar...

i think the big difference is the word BIKE! lol
not a splash deck in sight, i think the bike guys need to make this clear so nobody gets pissed!

The logo does look vaguely similar to me, but vaguely, coincidentally surely?

the bikes look professional and seem to be sponsoring top riders also, so i cant see what they have to gain from
stealing nookie ID. Too much hassle surely?

The extreme sports industry is wide and varied, (but) essentially niched. Unless youre Redbull.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Steve B wrote:

A friend of mine started a kids play area business and he found out later the name he chose was already taken by another business. It cost 15grand to correct plus loads of effort changing advertising and notifying many parties. He had no choice or he would have been sued for much more.

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Had a quick ride up at Haldon pump track on Tures with Nookie bikes rider Sy Savage.

Pics here: http://3bsports.blogspot.com/2011/04/3-lap-results.html
Ewart

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 pm

sparetyre2 wrote:I think the big difference is the word BIKE! lol
Do you think you'd get away with Karrimor Bikes? No, nor do I.
Graphic design is what I do for a living - do you want me to do an "expert witness" style analysis of the two typefaces? Obviously you don't, but they are so similar that it is actually quite hard to believe it's not intentional.
Steve Balcombe

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:49 am

The only real surprise to me is why after one manufacturer came up with such a corny naff name, another would manage to come up with the same corny naff name... :-)
Giles

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:18 am

Steve B wrote: Do you think you'd get away with Karrimor Bikes? No, nor do I.
Very unlikely, Karrimor started their business in the cycling industry making panniers.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 am

Pete wrote:
Steve B wrote: Do you think you'd get away with Karrimor Bikes? No, nor do I.
Very unlikely, Karrimor started their business in the cycling industry making panniers.
Didn't know that - I've picked a bad example then. But Vango Bikes or Berghaus Bikes or Coca Cola Bikes, the principle is the same.

Ironically though, that means Karrimor is a perfect example of a company diversifying into another part of the outdoor pursuits industry - the thing sparetyre2 seems to think wouldn't happen.
Steve Balcombe

Nick_

Post by Nick_ » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Steve B wrote: But Vango Bikes or Berghaus Bikes or Coca Cola Bikes, the principle is the same.
Or Orange Bikes?
See you on the water!

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Nick_ wrote:
Steve B wrote: But Vango Bikes or Berghaus Bikes or Coca Cola Bikes, the principle is the same.
Or Orange Bikes?
Well, it's complicated. Trade mark law recognises that in most cases, to give meaningful protection to a name it is only necessary to grant exclusive use in a particular area of business. So a trade mark is granted for a particular classification and others are free to use the name in other unrelated areas. The classifications are quite broad - all sports equipment is in the same classification. Telecoms and sports equipment are (as you would expect) in different classifications.

However it is also recognised that some names are so well known that *any* use of them by others would be potentially misleading. Coca Cola would certainly be an example of that.

At the other end of the scale, there are brand names which are so generic that they can't be registered at all. This is because it would be unreasonable to prevent others from using them - the use of place names is a good example of this*. But have you ever noticed that Orange is not a registered trade mark? I don't know this for a fact, but it may well be that it actually can't be registered because it's not distinctive enough.

(*We're not privy to any discussions which might or might not have taken place between Nookie and Nookie (at least, I'm not), but I wonder whether the argument that Nookie is a corruption of a place name (Newquay) might make defending the name more difficult? For difficult, read "expensive".)
Steve Balcombe

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Orange as a trade mark is interesting when coupled with another recognisable brand with a simple name Easy. Easyjet made life hell for a taxi owner who ran a firm called Easy Taxis with a logo coloured orange. I'm not sure but he may even have had his before but not registered it. I suppose at least he was in the 'transport' business.

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:09 am

When Orange bikes first came on the scene they released a bike called "Clockwork"!

There used to be some Scooby Mountain Bike names: D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X. and D.O.N.K.I.S.N.O.B. No way could you trade mark those as they are common use terms in the West Country! :-)

But, in this instance, there is no contest the bear wins! :-)

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Speak of the devil...

(Taken at Saunton last Sunday.)
Steve Balcombe

sparetyre2

Post by sparetyre2 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm

morsey wrote:When Orange bikes first came on the scene they released a bike called "Clockwork"!

There used to be some Scooby Mountain Bike names: D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X. and D.O.N.K.I.S.N.O.B. No way could you trade mark those as they are common use terms in the West Country! :-)

But, in this instance, there is no contest the bear wins! :-)

i think i've wet my wet suit.

:D

sparetyre2

Post by sparetyre2 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Steve B wrote:
sparetyre2 wrote:I think the big difference is the word BIKE! lol
Do you think you'd get away with Karrimor Bikes? No, nor do I.
Graphic design is what I do for a living - do you want me to do an "expert witness" style analysis of the two typefaces? Obviously you don't, but they are so similar that it is actually quite hard to believe it's not intentional.

No please dont analyse it anymore, "Waiter ? Cheque please!"

just one question tho.

two different fonts, you're the graphic designer, what are they?

sparetyre2

Post by sparetyre2 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:01 pm

They should of called them "spit bikes"

to avoid the confusion.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Tue May 03, 2011 6:20 pm

sparetyre2 wrote:two different fonts, you're the graphic designer, what are they?
Haven't the foggiest. Recognising fonts isn't graphic design, it's being a font geek.
Steve Balcombe

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”