Camping Symonds Yat

Inland paddling
Missed It

Camping Symonds Yat

Post by Missed It »

Hi All
Looking at doing first trip to symonds yat,for first try on gentle moving water,and was told this is the place to go.Anyone recomend best place to camp,decent showers,and somwhere to eat,adults and 11yr olds.Also was thinking of running down back to camp area,then having a little play in the rapids,so how far up to start the run,gentle 4-5hr ish run,is there a stop off place mid way,for eating,and break.And any other useful info/tips appreciated.
Many thanks.

chriscw

Re: Camping Symonds Yat

Post by chriscw »

If you are a 'youth group' you could do worse than The Biblins which is a forestry commission site about half a mile downstream from Symond's Yat on the Welsh side of the river, they have their own get in at one end of the site and are near a bridge which gives access to the footpath up to the Yat. Otherwise try Wyedeane who run a camp site by the get in just upstream from Symond's Yat on the English side of the River. Both are an easy walk from the Turks's Head who do excellent food. There are a few other things there like an ice cream kiosk. Both Campsite have toilets and showers which can also be used for getting changed. There is another much bigger campsite a bit further upstream on the Welsh side of the river which I have never used but it seems to have a fairground or something in it.

I refer to English side and Welsh side to give an idea of where to look on a map to find these places.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

GoldTopo

Post by GoldTopo »

Welsh Bicknor youth hostel, 6 miles by river upstream from Symonds Yat, you can launch from their grounds.

Missed It

Post by Missed It »

Its not a youth group,just a bunch of new to the water friends,with our kids who have done their 2*and wanting to get out and looking for some weekend trips.so family oriented.

maxandtheletter7

Post by maxandtheletter7 »

chriscw wrote:Otherwise try Wyedeane who run a camp site by the get in just upstream from Symond's Yat on the English side of the River.There is another much bigger campsite a bit further upstream on the Welsh side of the river which I have never used but it seems to have a fairground or something in it.

I refer to English side and Welsh side to give an idea of where to look on a map to find these places.
http://wyedean.co.uk/accommodation/campsite.html contact details for the campsite at Wyedean.

Symonds Yat East is the nice side of symonds yat, the 'english side'. And West is the 'Welsh' side which you are reffering too, both are in England.

Don't camp (or stop) at the fair ground place either.
Not swimming, not trying hard enough

NPearce

Post by NPearce »

We stayed at the 'fairground' site last year, it was erm... interesting. Location is ideal but wouldn't recommend it. The owner seemed to relish throwing rules about, no BBQ's, no noise, no open fires and was quite rude to the group, even though the next group along were ticking all the same boxes in abundance. She also too offence to kit hanging out to dry. Also seemed to be a large number of chavmobiles speeding up and down the nearby road late into the night.

Have also stayed at, and would recommend, the Christchurch and Bracelands site: http://www.visitforestofdean.co.uk/thed ... 1223&at=CP . Nice clean sites, excellent location in the forest, opening the tent to the forest in the morning gives you a sense of the wild and my kids loved it. The downside is that they are a little drive from the river, so you lose the luxury of getting off the river and walking back to your tent.

Nathan

Pam Bell

Post by Pam Bell »

Welsh Bicknor Youth Hostel also has camping in the grounds. You don't have to be young (or a YHA member) to stay there. The approach road would be awkward for a large trailer, but OK with care for an average one.

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

Camp at the put in at the wyedean canoe access campsite you cant go wrong. Pub 50metres away put on for symonds 20 metres away by a fun man made seal launch slide.

Cheers Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

chriscw

Post by chriscw »

Yes we normally use the Wyedeane site on the English side. Handy for the put in and pub, not unreasonably expensive, facilities more than OK if you are there for the paddling and as said previously by myself and others 50 yards from the Pub. It is small though and gets crowded so book in advance and be prepared to be asked to stay for two nights to secure a place.

Both banks may be in Herefordshire at this point which traditionally has always been Wales but seems to be part of England now, not sure how or why that happened but as a Welsh ex pat living in England you can guess where I think it is:
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

GoldTopo wrote:Welsh Bicknor youth hostel, 6 miles by river upstream from Symonds Yat, you can launch from their grounds.
I think I've camped there with Scouts a few times. If so, it's a nice place, but a bit of a pain to get to with a trailer or boats on the roof.
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”