The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Inland paddling
Post Reply
User avatar
Janson
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: St Andrews/ Edinburgh

The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Janson »

...are clearly none existant on the Tweed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... d-12674475

User avatar
Adrian Cooper
Posts: 9773
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:26 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Adrian Cooper »

So, to what can we point for this upturn? The only change I can think of is the more relaxed attitude to canoe and kayak traffic on the river. I trust the fishermen will be grateful.

twopigs
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:55 pm
Location: Stroud & Cheltenham
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by twopigs »

Surely it suggests that introducing canoe and kayak traffic promotes fish returning to the river and thus increases catches......

As a control we need a "kayak" only river to see which is more important .......
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

dan-gilbert
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Portishead/Bristol

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by dan-gilbert »

So it seems that the reason the fish stocks were high was that "The record year came despite a poor spring season on the 97-mile river when anglers were asked to put salmon back for conservation purposes" so it seems that putting fish back means that you have more the next year, which has little to do with kayaking but much more do with not killing the fish in the first place.

Dan

User avatar
Adrian Cooper
Posts: 9773
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:26 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Go on Dan, spoil it for us!

dan-gilbert
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Portishead/Bristol

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by dan-gilbert »

Sorry, but am I right in thinking that it is the case? Or have I misread entirely

twopigs
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:55 pm
Location: Stroud & Cheltenham
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by twopigs »

Dan the essence of a good argument is to ignore the facts ....

So since the introduction of responsible paddling in Scotland salmon catches on their rivers have gone up. Okay only one year, only one river and they are putting them back so they can be caught again..... but ignore all that - it ruins our case.

On that basis this idea of paddlers paying for access is rubbish - we should be paid to paddle so that salmon catches can increase ......

Or have I missed something?? ;-D
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

dan-gilbert
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Portishead/Bristol

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by dan-gilbert »

Woops, forgot about the responsible paddling part.

Dan

User avatar
naefearjustbeer
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:50 pm
Location: Caithness
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by naefearjustbeer »

The salmon that get caught in a river one year have just returned from the sea to spawn. If you put them back after catching one and it spawns and survives it will make its way back to the sea. It might not return to the river the next year. However it will of left an awful lot of eggs to hatch to start the cycle of life again. These eggs that are laid will take a while before they are back in the river as mature fish ready to spawn again. Catch and return methods will not have a big effect one year on from introduction it will be a few years down the line before the effect is noticed. What is more effective is not catching the salmon in nets at the sea or in the estuary before they even get a chance to get into the river for the anglers to have a go. One sweep of a net could easily catch hundreds of salmon. Much more damage than 100 anglers to the natural stock.

User avatar
wezzzy
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Blairgowrie, Perth.
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by wezzzy »

naefearjustbeer wrote:The salmon that get caught in a river one year have just returned from the sea to spawn. If you put them back after catching one and it spawns and survives it will make its way back to the sea. It might not return to the river the next year. However it will of left an awful lot of eggs to hatch to start the cycle of life again. These eggs that are laid will take a while before they are back in the river as mature fish ready to spawn again. Catch and return methods will not have a big effect one year on from introduction it will be a few years down the line before the effect is noticed. What is more effective is not catching the salmon in nets at the sea or in the estuary before they even get a chance to get into the river for the anglers to have a go. One sweep of a net could easily catch hundreds of salmon. Much more damage than 100 anglers to the natural stock.
What would happen if we had a big net and caught 100 fish botherers instead of the fish?

User avatar
shanclan
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Monmouth
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by shanclan »

There might be a further increase in salmon numbers if fishing was restricted to rivers where there is a naturally sustainable population.....

Evil-Cod
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: St Andrews

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Evil-Cod »

I still don't like fishermen. Why can't they stick to fishing in eddies on long flat sections of river instead of casting into the only bit of current?

zetkayakuk
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Warminster
Contact:

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by zetkayakuk »

Kayaking is good news for fishermen.

Kayaks get fish swimming and the exercise means they get hungry and search for bait.

One way the fishermen get one over on us is they are better at amassing statistics of the amount of money they bring into an area. Boaters could do better in this regard.

Evil-Cod
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: St Andrews

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Evil-Cod »

zetkayakuk wrote:Kayaking is good news for fishermen.

Kayaks get fish swimming and the exercise means they get hungry and search for bait.

One way the fishermen get one over on us is they are better at amassing statistics of the amount of money they bring into an area. Boaters could do better in this regard.
Just think how much more money boaters bring into Nottingham than fishermen...

Can anytihng even survive in that ditch?

Lbond78
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Lbond78 »

judging by the amount of NSR trent belly storys there are wizzing around atm i don't think anything can survive that ditch
not even freshers and they are built to take punishment .

User avatar
Strad
Posts: 1912
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 am
Location: The Beautiful Borders of Scotland
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Strad »

Lbond78 wrote:judging by the amount of NSR trent belly storys there are wizzing around atm I don't think anything can survive that ditch
not even freshers and they are built to take punishment .
Of course none of that trent belly could really be alcohol related :-)
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

User avatar
davebrads
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:42 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by davebrads »

Evil-Cod wrote:Just think how much more money boaters bring into Nottingham than fishermen...

Can anytihng even survive in that ditch?
There's a lot of fish in the Trent, and a lot of fishermen pulling them out.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

chriscw
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:35 am
Location: Basingstoke
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by chriscw »

davebrads wrote:
Evil-Cod wrote:Just think how much more money boaters bring into Nottingham than fishermen...

Can anytihng even survive in that ditch?
There's a lot of fish in the Trent, and a lot of fishermen pulling them out.
Healthy ones too most have at least three eyes instead of the normal two is less nourishing waters.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

User avatar
Janson
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: St Andrews/ Edinburgh

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by Janson »

Record year for salmon catches in Scotland http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12847601

bigdave17
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm
Location: st boswells borders

Re: The problems of kayaking for fisherman's catches...

Post by bigdave17 »

Strangely enough despite paddling on the Tweed & tribs for the the past 14 years (its my local) I've never had a problem with the fishermen - in all fairness they've always been pretty ok here - despite it being some of the most expensive fishing in the country.

Post Reply

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”