Modifications

Inland paddling
biketastik

Re: Modifications

Post by biketastik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 pm

velcro straps?
Ye I'm still not entirely sure about it but I think that I'l put the loops in above the mid height point and keep stuff i think might fall out above the airbag (hero has a massive bulge behind the cockpit) and stuff pelicase, splits etc. (anything big) below it and maybe clip it to the stiffner (mines an elite spec so that shouldnt need to invlove drilling at all)concidering maybe creating paracord rails? Attatching one end to the back of the seat and running it to about a foot and a half into the back of the boat then passing it through a piece of tube through the pillar and bringing it back to the seat again. Then every 8 inches or so putting a piece through a pipe through the pillar and tying it each side onto the paracord rail. That would stop stuff just sliding around and probably be easier than the other idea?

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Yep - get them in B&Q. They look like these and sell them in 2 sizes:

http://www.choiceful.com/disprod.php?pId=68968
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

biketastik

Post by biketastik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:02 am

what do u use them for?

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 am

I can't post the pictures because they are on a friends facebook but he modified his playboat (Project 52) because it was a bit small; he has longs legs. He cut the boat in half along the seam-line and welded in a strip about 40mm deep to increase the height of the boat overall. I think this may have been the second modification after first inserting a tapered strip into just the nose.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:20 am

biketastik wrote:what do u use them for?
All sorts of things - holding on to bottles, securing ballast (in sea kayaks) etc
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:29 am

TechnoEngineer wrote:Something to bear in mind with moving the seat forwards is that it could make the boat harder to edge and roll, as the coaming is higher up. So OK to move it a few cm...
From 'Top Tips for Coaches' from PYB - when you buy a new boat, move the seat forward. It always seems to me that, out of the factory, kayak seats are usually set too far back.

In my latest canoe, I removed a seat and put a new one in because the trim was so bad for solo use.

biketastik

Post by biketastik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Interesting... I got my Hero from the Chris at square rock (atleast he was at the time...) wonder if he changed it much when he had it in the first place...
strap wise i prefer to clip stuff in but with the front rail thing i was going to use something a bit less...flexible... like mini version of the roof straps

alexpethybridge

Post by alexpethybridge » Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 pm

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know how this was done?
Green.media wrote:Made a few mods to boats in my time, listed all the ones I can think of below.

>>Topo duo (this is were the fun starts).
-All stock outfitting removed. (till sat in garage if anyone wants it).
-Pyranha connect 30 outfitting fitted (seats, foot blocks, back rests, anti collapse pillars and grab handles).
-Push lock back rest tightening (similar to setup in dagger creek boats).
-Center 8 inch think bulkhead fitted (dividing front and rear paddlers).
-Length of U section plastic gutter run down center of hull and bent into shape with heat and screwed into anti pin pillars and seats, this stiffen hull and make seats not slide sideways.
-PTO written on bottom in big bold letters :D.
Specifically the plastic gutter, the bulkhead and the Pyranha connect 30 anti collapse pillars.

Cheers.
Some days are diamonds

Hendri Coetzee

4starmike

Post by 4starmike » Fri May 31, 2013 1:05 am

alexpethybridge wrote:I know this is an old thread but does anyone know how this was done?
I suspect it was a last minute, bodge job (the backband certainly was).

From the only photo that I have of the "outfitting" in that boat, you can see some expanding foam around the seat (holding it & the gutter together, perhaps), the central gutter & a small part, of one of the central pillars.

I'm guessing the bulkhead, was a foam block (although I never saw this).

I'll try to get Rich to reply, to this.
Mike
Vimeo

Green.media

Post by Green.media » Fri May 31, 2013 8:45 am

You have pm alex. I dont look at this enough so given you my email address. Thanks to mike for pointing this out to me!

alexpethybridge

Post by alexpethybridge » Fri May 31, 2013 10:27 am

Cheers for your help guys! Hopefully I'll be able to post up some photos of the work I'm going to attempt. :)
Some days are diamonds

Hendri Coetzee

Nedders

Post by Nedders » Fri May 31, 2013 10:49 am

I added some ratchets and the straps to my Jackson Monstars back band, as I found it kept popping when it was just the para cord stuff going through those plastic grip things.
Made a huge difference.
Nick Newman.

adpal

Post by adpal » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

Since getting my karnali I've fitted a shaped triangular foam block to the footplate , changed the backband to an IR one that I also changed the ratchet straps on so that it attached to the connect 30 ratchets that I fitted on the thigh braces. It's also got a jackson sweet cheeks in there. Origanally it was the rapid spec.

Adam

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”