Keltney Burn

Inland paddling
nickbennett

Keltney Burn

Post by nickbennett »

We went on an afternoon trip yesterday to the keltney Burn. After spending some time working out where to get on and being told by the landowner that he "wouldn't stop worrying about us until he saw we were off the river" we go on and paddled the first 500 meters. At which point we got out to inspect a horizon line to find a whopping great tree at the bottom of a nice looking fall/rapid. We decided to walk off as it was getting late and there was no way of portaging it without risking running the fall on getting pinned or worse on the tree.

It was a real shame as the river was just staring to get going and looked to be shaping up as an ace trip. Does anyone have any experience of the river? How bad is the walk in to the upper?

Nick

chrishartkayak

Re: Keltney Burn

Post by chrishartkayak »

Keltney Burn gets to be ore fun after that tree - we ran it in October - portaged it on the right and then continued on - we came across a decent sized drop and 2 of the team of 4 decided to climb out (which took them a couple of hours with the boats!) there is a big fall not too long after that one which is very big and seemed impossible to inspect properly/portage - I ran down first and got through and then my mate ran it and got stuck - pulled him out on a line. We continued on for most of it but had to get off because it was dark - pitch dark climbing through trees is not so fun (especially when you left the safety bag with the torch in the car).

Interested to hear of anyone who hs completed it! My advice give it some respect and start early in the day.

PS - landowner where we got on was not friendly - it was at a holiday home/cabins park.

biggindave

Post by biggindave »

Yo guys.

I've done the bottom section twice putting on at the fields where it goes flat and there's some conifer trees. One time it was really high and it was horrendous, one time it was low and it was horrendous.
I wouldn't get on the bottom bit again- I think its horrendous.

Apparently the top bit with the walk in is world class action though. I think the get out point is crucial and if you miss it its death on a stick...
I've always wanted to do the burns up loch rannoch way as apparently they are the bomb. Dall Burn and stuff..

Dave

ianletton

Post by ianletton »

biggindave wrote:Yo guys.

I've done the bottom section twice putting on at the fields where it goes flat and there's some conifer trees. One time it was really high and it was horrendous, one time it was low and it was horrendous.
I wouldn't get on the bottom bit again- I think its horrendous.

Apparently the top bit with the walk in is world class action though. I think the get out point is crucial and if you miss it its death on a stick...
I've always wanted to do the burns up loch rannoch way as apparently they are the bomb. Dall Burn and stuff..

Dave
What a great description!! Sounds like a horrendous run. Dall Burn looks tasty though.

You out boating this weekend Dave??

Ian
IanLetton

biggindave

Post by biggindave »

It is very wet here in the Fort- yep i'll be out i hope..

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

1st descent done in 1982 down to the big fall with the tree in it by myself in a Eclipse, Ross Purdy in a carbon kevlar Prem II slalom boat John Gatfield in a dancer and a couple of others. We really pissed off Andy Jackson when he discovered that a bunch of Sasonnachs had stolen a 1st descent from under his nose he then went and carried in and ran the top down to where we had put on saying that "It was better than the lower". I've never run the upper.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Kelty Keltny..
What was is the Keltny? Bracklinn falls? Yeah that was awesome!

The one in Glen Lyon area was pants, could be amazing but walking round tree strainers every five minutes sucked and proved it to be a waste of good water. I'd go back though.
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

So a quick google threw up this vid of paddling it along with some others. The falls at the end are the biggest thing I've seen paddled in the UK. I remember a thread in the summer about the biggest UK run. IMO This wins.
http://www.breadandbutter.me.uk/news47.htm There's a wmv file you can download.
dave

callum s

Post by callum s »

Ive gorge walked up the whole upper section until it gets tiny and flat, It looks like it would be an awesome run with a bit of water in it! Not too commited in a gorge like the lower but some really classy looking action, at least one clean 5m+ fall tucked away up there.. Needs a lot of rain and probs snowmelt too!

Dug

Post by Dug »

I paddled the lower section down to the big double stepped fall full of trees a few years back, think its down in the book as a portage. Would agree with Dave B, its a pretty unpleasant run with a lot trees. Would have been about a medium level I think, had to walk out though as it was getting on to 11pm and finally getting dark after a summer rain storm! The two burns further up the Glen are much better, Innerwick is really nice but I think its got a hydro scheme on it now..... No idea about the top section, dont mind a walk in but most of the way up a mountain with a kayak is taking it a bit far for me!

ThomB

Post by ThomB »

Ive paddles both sections of the Keltney Burn. The lower is pretty horrible, have paddled it hi and low, neither was pleasant. Higher levels some of the drops became out of control and lower they looked painful and quite often were......

The upper section on the other hand is completely different, absolute class. The nicest part is one clean 5m drop, there are also some other really nice drops and slides thrown in. Make sure you know where you are getting out as the last series of drops are full on, but go with the right amount of water-make sure you get a huge flying boof off the main drop to avoid the cave......- The upper section also feels really out there as is quite a walk in, feeling really remote.

The upper definately worth the effort. More water the better.
The lower, is worth doing, if only for the bar stories of horrible portages and horrible lines and the odd sweet drop......

Jim

Post by Jim »

Ryan - Bracklinn is the Keltie you numtpy!

The only time I never paddled the Keltney was the same time the rest of you did paddle it, I had mis-heard and thought you were heading to the Keltie so was a bit confused that we were meeting you to run the Lyon afterwards (Jay and I had been to the Falls of Lora), and in the end of course we didn't meet up because you had an epic in the Keltney and never got to the Lyon. As I recall Nick had a near death experience (as usual back then), and you reduced Robin to a gibbering wreck (quite a feat given his past exploits) and everyone in the group was exhausted and covered in cuts and bruises from portaging out through the trees. Oddly enough it's never made it onto my to do list. Strangely I haven't done the Keltie either....

Interesting that most of the reports coming out sound more or less the same, all that changes is whether the party reporting enjoys that sort of thing or not - Thom, you're sick! :-)

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Yup cheers Jim, thought as much.

Yeah Nick nearly died as he got to the state of no longer swimming or reaching for the walls....nothing new, not then and not now from the rumors I hear.

Thoms descriptions sounds good and similar to what AJ told me back then.

Not sure who Robin was but many cried that day and many others...Minnoch, Crawick and the infamous Coe event.

I liked the keltney but the keltie was better. Adventure vs kayaking respectively :)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”