Argument for a bright helmet.

Inland paddling
p.r.unicycles

Re: Argument for a bright helmet.

Post by p.r.unicycles »

DaveBland wrote: It's a fair point! Especially those Chernobyl-grown, glow in the dark limes.
Did you think about this before buying the boat in your avatar?
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

p.r.unicycles wrote:
DaveBland wrote: It's a fair point! Especially those Chernobyl-grown, glow in the dark limes.
Did you think about this before buying the boat in your avatar?
Ha! That was a loaner. I now have red – centre of pic from yesterday.
This pic does show though, how a white helmet really doesn't stand out. With hindsight I'd have gone for a bright colour.

dave

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

p.r.unicycles wrote:We talk about this a lot at work, in relation to sea kayaks, we think the lime/light green is great. If you stand on a beach and watch a bunch of kayakers disappear into the distance, the light green will show up much longer, when other kayaker disappear into fog, light green stays visible. Now, lots of people have a white hull, however, if your boat is going to flip, its pretty likely your'e in the surf...which is white?! Lots of people here are saying black is a bad colour, if you ask a search and rescue pilot, they'll tell you black is great.
Really? I'd heard that orange was the most visible colour out at sea.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

TechnoEngineer wrote:
p.r.unicycles wrote:We talk about this a lot at work, in relation to sea kayaks, we think the lime/light green is great. If you stand on a beach and watch a bunch of kayakers disappear into the distance, the light green will show up much longer, when other kayaker disappear into fog, light green stays visible. Now, lots of people have a white hull, however, if your boat is going to flip, its pretty likely your'e in the surf...which is white?! Lots of people here are saying black is a bad colour, if you ask a search and rescue pilot, they'll tell you black is great.
Really? I'd heard that orange was the most visible colour out at sea.
We thought that too, next time we're out on a demo day, i'll film a group paddling away.
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Either black or White helmets are a bad idea. Also back paddles are only for the wealthy!

morsey

Post by morsey »

TechnoEngineer wrote:Really? I'd heard that orange was the most visible colour out at sea.
Depends what colour you are looking for!?!
If you are in a chopper searching for a life raft and you spot a lime green ring with people in it, you'll fly right by (they are just out playing in their sport ringo!) and look for a proper coloured life raft!
On the beach in Cornwall, when you see someone in trouble in the surf, first response run up the beach, passed the guy in red speedo's and yellow t-shirt and grab the first guy you find wearing jeans and Red "Newquay Lifeguard" Hoodie, and demand that they swim out and save the person!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”