Tees Barrage White Water Course Latest Pics

Inland paddling
fatgarysdad

Re: Tees Barrage White Water Course Latest Pics

Post by fatgarysdad »

Don't want to put anyone off but the latest info says the course will not be open until September due to issues with the bottom gates.

TBIWWC

Post by TBIWWC »

Lots of posts regarding opening dates. We are sorry but we do not currently have an opening date, not even an approximate date to give.

We understand the wait is very frustrating, it is for us too.

As soon as we receive any more information, we will pass it on, on our website, ukrgb and our Facebook page. Please be patient and bear with us

TBIWWC

JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

TBIWWC wrote:Lots of posts regarding opening dates. We are sorry but we do not currently have an opening date, not even an approximate date to give.

We understand the wait is very frustrating, it is for us too.

As soon as we receive any more information, we will pass it on, on our website, ukrgb and our Facebook page. Please be patient and bear with us

TBIWWC
Is there a problem with the bottom gates or not hence are we talking about a few weeks or few months before it opens?

DanH

Post by DanH »

Think its time they updated the website (http://www.tbiwwc.com/) as it still says opening spring 2011! I'm pretty sure we are now into summer...

Any updates guys?

DanH

Post by DanH »

Not that I'll be able to afford to go following the price hike! £15 for a days kayaking? How ridiculous!

Poke

Post by Poke »

DanH wrote:Not that I'll be able to afford to go following the price hike! £15 for a days kayaking? How ridiculous!
You obviously didn't follow the recent Olympic Course charges thread... :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

hoolabloom

Post by hoolabloom »

Its still cheaper than a ski pass or an uplift day with the bikes!

DanH

Post by DanH »

Poke wrote:
DanH wrote:Not that I'll be able to afford to go following the price hike! £15 for a days kayaking? How ridiculous!
You obviously didn't follow the recent Olympic Course charges thread... :-)
I did... That's ridiculous too! I might have to start working again if I want to go kayaking in this country, or I could just go to Norway for the summer... Hmmm, decisions, decisions! ;-)
hoolabloom wrote:Its still cheaper than a ski pass or an uplift day with the bikes!
Dan, are you getting lazy? Cycle uphill you lazy git, then the downhill is so much more satisfying!

hoolabloom

Post by hoolabloom »

LOL no not lazy fella just as comparison.
You over this way any time soon?

DanH

Post by DanH »

hoolabloom wrote:LOL no not lazy fella just as comparison.
You over this way any time soon?
Hmmm... May be, but running out of weekends before i head off again!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

I almost no longer care how much it's going to cost - I just want the frickin' thing to open so I've got some year-round white water on my door step again!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

TBIWWC

Post by TBIWWC »

COURSE UPDATE

Dear Paddlers,
We would like to give you an update on the course and the centre to keep you fully up to date.

The centre - 90% complete. We have undergone an extensive refit to bring the centre back to life.
A new retail outlet Northshore watersports http://www.nswatersports.com
Fully refurbished cafe and reception
New ladies changing area
New disabled access toilet and shower
New staff changing area
New office accommodation
New drying room
New P.P.E. storage area

A new addition to the venue will be a new storage facility adjacent to the main building to accommodate the extensive range of equipment from our other centre on the Tees (Castlegate Quay Watersports). The contractors will initiate this as soon as we have the main lease in place.

The Course
Whilst the majority of works are complete the site is in a snagging list stage with the contractors. Tees Active Ltd still do not have access to the course and are yet to start staff training and comissioning. To explain - The contractor J N Bentley are to finalise their works and handover to British Waterways (landlords), this is expected in the next 2 weeks. At this stage British Waterways will have some of their own comissioning to complete along with some H&S requirements such as fencing prior to the main lease being signed over to Stockton Borough Council.

There is also an outstanding issue with the downstream penstocks which allow the water out to the tidal side of the river. These penstocks have always leaked an amount of water back into the course which has never presented an issue as when the course is run as a gravity fed system the water is pushed directly back out to sea when in operation. With the installation of the 4 screws, there is potential of pumping the water back up and around the course when we run a closed system. The penstocks currently leak more than an acceptable amount.
To ensure the great water quality we have upstream of the barrage we have insisted that the penstocks are fully operational prior to us taking over the course.
We will then gain the sub lease, get on site and as quickly a possible, get the site open for business.

Our new website will be launched at the end of the month and will be the place to look for updates. http://www.tbiwwc.com

What we can tell you -
The site is nearly twice as deep as it was prior to upgrade.
The rapid Bloc system is fantastically versatile and will allow for a great deal of configurations
The new short course has been trialed during the first ever Rescue 3 conference and has been quoted as "the best rescue training channel in the world". Additionally the short course has a great playwave and interesting final drop! A few comments have been posted regarding depth of the new short course. We will be able to have a depth range from 6 inches that knocks you off your feet to approx 2 metres at full flow of 14 cumecs.

Although this is very fustrating, the site will be fantastic when open. We have missed a great deal of the good weather and income to boot so are as keen as all of you to get the show on the road as soon as we are in a position to do so.

Again, please keep an eye on our website when launched at the end of the month for further updates.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Thanks for that TBIWWC. And all it took was a PM asking them for an explanation!

jason1992

Post by jason1992 »

As far as I am aware the main construction work has been completed and the course is in the process of been set up. The management of the centre are waiting for the course to be handed over to them from the engineers which should be some time soon hopefully
The shop has opened at the course which can be found nswatersports.com

davidmann

Post by davidmann »

Am getting very excited now!
Finally, some water!

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

From the TBIWWC Course Update post just above, it looks like it could still be in the order of months!

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

Big Henry wrote:From the TBIWWC Course Update post just above, it looks like it could still be in the order of months!
Probably just in time for the rainy season :-)

DanH

Post by DanH »

peakfreak wrote:
Big Henry wrote:From the TBIWWC Course Update post just above, it looks like it could still be in the order of months!
The UK has a rainy season? When did this happen? God damned global warming!

warren

Post by warren »

DanH wrote:
peakfreak wrote:
The UK has a rainy season? When did this happen? God damned global warming!
The UK rainy season is in april Dan ;-)
Well it used to be...

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

They've just updated their website and facebook page with the following:
TBIWWC wrote:Course Update 30th June

During the month of June there has been lots of work by BW to investigate why the penstocks leak on the course. The work is ongoing and once a solution has been identified to repair the leaks, BW will undertake the work. Once the site has been passed as complete and the lease for the site is passed on to us, we can start our operational testing to ensure the course provides a great challenge for everyone whilst also ensuring it is safe for users.

We are desperate for the course to be handed over to us so we can all make the most of the good weather, but it is out of our hands so we can’t provide a definite date as to when the course will be open, although fingers crossed we hope to have more information in a couple of weeks time.

During the past few months we have been able to refurbish the centre building and it will open on Monday 4th July to the public. Feel free to come down, have a look at the centre and NorthShore Watersports shop and chat to some of our staff.

As we find out more we’ll keep posting the updates on our website and facebook page.
Realistically I think we'll be looking at a few more months, which is annoying!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

In the meantime since they are sat twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do, unable to run the course, you'd think they'd find time to update the website a bit more often and maybe even proof read it for all the irritating spelling errors...

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Put up on their Facebook Page today:
Hi, the bottom of the course has been emptied by British Waterways to remove the penstock gates so they can be repaired and then reinstalled. Installation is currently scheduled around the 24th August. Once this has been completed we hope to have a definite date for opening. Fingers crossed it won’t be long.
So hopefully it won't be that much longer!

Poke

Post by Poke »

I know someone's just posted this in a new thread, but with a view to keeping everything together... Here's a selection of pictures taken by my mate Phil today, and posted in the incerasingly popular North East Kayak Club facebook page:

The back straight:

The old valentines hole... now a double drop...

The short "creeking" channel...

The hole under the bridge looks a little feisty

The bottom of the creeking channel with the raft lift in the background... seems to be definite squirting potential where the flow from the main channel meets the flow from the "creeking" channel!!

Screws from the top

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

mmm. Looks like it will give some folks a good kicking.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Poke

Post by Poke »

Looking at those pictures again – specifically of the steeper course, I have to say I’m a little disappointed at the lack of use of the gradient. All there seems to be at present is a large weir-like hole, and a ramp into a big V wave. Nowhere which would allow intermediates (or indeed experts) to practice moves that they might need on a proper river – boofs/flares and the like. It’s just a concrete channel that looks like it's been designed by a rock-phobic pole dodger.

Here’s to hoping that this is still very much in its testing phase and that the main channel will be made better use of in the future!

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

The 'creek' channel looks pretty crap tbh, they'd have been better off just building a single 10 foot(ish) drop Fournel style to boof/hammer off...

micky.early

Post by micky.early »

Whats this 'creeking' channel folks are talking about?

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

micky.early wrote:Whats this 'creeking' channel folks are talking about?

It is the channel on the right of this photo. It looks like they have just created two drops for rafts. Paddling through them will probably result in a similar outcome to paddling through "Acid Drop" on a low tide. A complete lottery, but most likely resulting in being back flipped, followed by a rolling in very funny water and /or a swim.

I agree that an opportunity to develop a controlled environment for running falls has been missed. No chance of boofs here!

W
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Almost like a naff Gobbler on the Conway is the first drop!

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote:Almost like a naff Gobbler on the Conway is the first drop!
Aye, but the TSWWC looks like it has closed sides and quite a ramp out of it.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”