swim on the lledr on saturday

Inland paddling

Mattygsxr

Re: swim on the lledr on saturday

Post by Mattygsxr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Just to start this off. I ran the drop with Jason and I would do it again at that level.

c.blyth

Post by c.blyth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm

I witnessed this awsome descent and would love to fire it up one day...Well done lads!

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Great effort! Looked a bit dicey amongst those trees...

Very unusual for me to see Matty in anything bigger than a playboat ;)
Last edited by TechnoEngineer on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm

1st two links don't work. 3rd one does though. Fair play to you, you must have been absolutely knackered after that. I've never seen that fall at a level that made it look inviting.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Well done, you boys stepped up.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 pm

links work if you are a fb member.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Matty - cool, I usually only see you doing floops at the pool ;)

I think the first two links only work if you're friends with Jason R
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Pont Y Pant??? Awesome, if so...

The footage wasn't very clear, but did you find any holes on the way down?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

paddletastic2

Post by paddletastic2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:Matty - cool, I usually only see you doing floops at the pool ;)

I think the first two links only work if you're friends with Jason R
Think that must be it - first two liks are not working for me.

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Mental! How did kit recovery fair?

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:38 pm

YES Mark its that drop.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

jason1992

Post by jason1992 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm

dont think i found any bad holes on the way down but dont get me wrong they where there

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Im glad you got to the bank safely. Wasnt that a crazy risk to take when you look back at it. You where upside down on the first stopper and went into every one after. May be you where having a bad day, shortly after you went on to style viaduct falls and this is the kind of solid grade 5 you usually paddle. fill us in on your approach to paddling this kind of water.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 pm

jason1992 wrote:dont think I found any bad holes on the way down but dont get me wrong they where there
I was being slightly sarcastic - the footage seems to contain several long side-surfs....
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Miles.jones

Post by Miles.jones » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Sorry folks, you should be able to view the first two photos now.

Miles

jason1992

Post by jason1992 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Yes it was a risk but no more of a risk than crossing the road on the way to work! I would rather be able to look back at my life and think I am glad I ran that, yes it maybe it didn't go to plan but at least I was willing to explore and find out for myself. And kit recovery was ok lost a set of paddles but is running the hard stuff not what we live for and if the loss of some paddles is the price to pay for running what we all (well most) live for then its a price I am willing to pay time and time again. No we didnt go any further down river but we had no intention of. We all then went on to paddle the Goedal, Nantguwryd, Aberglaslyn gorge and ended on the Mawdach.

Please do correct me if I am wrong but is this not what we all live for?

Joe L

Post by Joe L » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Good work. Thats huge. Guess you dont have to worry about hitting the rooster tail at that level at least, lol.
Was it the bottom hole of the lead-out rapid on pont y pant that got you in the end? Its sticky as normally.
The swim looked grim though, glad you were alright.

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 pm

jason1992 wrote: I would rather be able to look back at my life and think I am glad I ran that,
I was concerned that you may not get a chance to look back at your paddling. That is the reality if you tackle a drop like that in those conditions and swim. Having said that you clearly know what your doing going on to paddle the other rivers that you mention in big water as well. It was only a short carnage clip, may be it would be more representive if you posted the stuff you paddled well during the day to give the Whole story. That looked like out of control madness.

andrew butler 101

Post by andrew butler 101 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 pm

jason1992 wrote:Yes it was a risk but no more of a risk than crossing the road on the way to work!

Hey buddy, what road do you have to cross to get to work!!!

Little Joe

Post by Little Joe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 am

Joe L wrote:Good work. Thats huge. Guess you dont have to worry about hitting the rooster tail at that level at least, lol.
Was it the bottom hole of the lead-out rapid on pont y pant that got you in the end? Its sticky as normally.
The swim looked grim though, glad you were alright.
Yep, looks like the last ledge of the lead out. Lucky, very lucky

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:18 am

How you managed to keep hold of your blades for so long, and manage to catch them (notice they are the wrong way up for most of the video) Is impressive!

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:32 am

I cant beleve you people take such silly risks what if it had gone wrong!!! where was your saftey on the river I see the guy was funbling behind a rock and not one person helped him. You people are just silly and need to be stoped from doing things like this. Personaly I would put you in a mental hospital.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:16 am

jason1992 wrote:Please do correct me if I am wrong but is this not what we all live for?
Not me, and I've not looked at the vid yet.

Ralph Wilson

Post by Ralph Wilson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 am

Hi. Were there any lessons to learn from your experience on this one? What do you think was the main cause of your swim? Well done on the rescue.
Ralph

jon a

Post by jon a » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 am

Richard Gunton wrote:may be it would be more representive if you posted the stuff you paddled well during the day to give the Whole story
I've had the pleasure of paddling with Jason a number of times and can quite happily say that he is stepping up to this kind of stuff on a regular basis. If you step up to these things regularly eventually it is going to go wrong. Check out Jason's Youtube for more and more videos of when it went well.
ScottS wrote:I cant beleve you people take such silly risks what if it had gone wrong!!! where was your saftey on the river I see the guy was funbling behind a rock and not one person helped him. You people are just silly and need to be stoped from doing things like this. Personaly I would put you in a mental hospital.
If this was a video of Jason styling the rapid would you hold the same opinion, doubt it? Ever watched a boating video of 'Pro Boaters' running super hard stuff? Did you tell them they should all be in a mental hospital, doubt it? It did go wrong, he had a bad swim and dealt with it ... safety was there and fished him out of the river when it was safe to do so ... would you prefer they threw a line at him through the trees and tied him up in an almighty mess?

Well done Jason sounds like a good day out, shame about losing the paddles.

J
You learn something new every day, most times it is that what you learnt yesterday was in fact wrong!

Mattygsxr

Post by Mattygsxr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am

If there was a lesson to be learnt here then we would not share with people who cant figure stuff like that out for them selves. In the top end of white water kayaking things go wrong sometimes, they always will. And unfortunately people will get hurt but thats the nature of pushing the limits. Luckily this time there was no one hurt just some lost kit. And it is true - Would people be questioning why we did it if he had styled the line?

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 am

Yes your all fools for thinking you can do this complete utter madness I mean what if he had a foot entrapment or popped his shoulder fools the lot of you.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 am

Hmmm... ScottS, joins today, first post a silly rant, seems to me he should be living under a bridge and bothering billy goats.

Or is he a mate of Jason's and he is just trying to wind us all up?

The truth please Scott

Ralph Wilson

Post by Ralph Wilson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Okay everyone, forgive me for feeding the trolls, but they've wound me up, so here goes…
Mattygsxr wrote:If there was a lesson to be learnt here then we would not share with people who cant figure stuff like that out for them selves. In the top end of white water kayaking things go wrong sometimes, they always will. And unfortunately people will get hurt but thats the nature of pushing the limits. Luckily this time there was no one hurt just some lost kit. And it is true - Would people be questioning why we did it if he had styled the line?
Sounds like you’re talking about yourselves, not figuring out the lessons!!
I’m loving you’re warm friendly style.
Oo, you’re at “the top end”, well done. By the way, I wasn’t questioning why you did it, just trying to help you stay alive longer. From the video evidence, you ain’t that good. I appreciate this footage might be the bad exception, but it’s what you posted; let’s see your best one so everyone can judge :)

From your Facebook chat:
Jason Raper “i almost wanted to do it again straight away but decided i was too fucked”
Well you got that right.

James Weight “why dont u show the ukrgb and let the shit kick off ;)”
Charles Blyth “anyone sayys one bad thing about that descent on ukrgb im kicking off with the intention to get banned ;)”
Ah, now it’s clear. And you’re such bad rebels, please stop, we're killing ourselves laughing.

Matty Nicholas “Well the dee is like class 3 and this was touching 5+”
Shame you swam in a grade 3 bit at the bottom. The rest looked nothing more than 4/5 at that flow, much of it appeared washed out.

Jason Raper “i wish that guy who was chatting shit about running high force was there”
Matty Nicholas “Do you mean the sam bloke that ran couldron snout with 20 people on saftey. Would be nice to show him how to run rapids”
You really showed him.

My own thoughts:
“Hi, is that Grim? Yeah, it’s one of your scouts here. I might have found a great candidate for your next victim.
“He thinks he’s a good boater, but the evidence suggests otherwise. He relies upon his roll to make up for paddling weaknesses. His blade strokes are too flat. He misses key lines, if he sees them at all. He needs to work on absorbing and punching through impact waves. And he leans back and over-relies on his paddle when surfing a hole. At least that’s what it looks like.
“He’s a dead cert. Sharpen your scythe for the next wet weekend.”

You swim, you lose. We all do it. We all need to learn from it. You swim in grade 3/4 you probably get to post a fun video. By definition no-one swims in grade 5 very often. Best of luck.
Ralph

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”