Weight ranges (esp Dagger Mamba)

Inland paddling
ads060384

Weight ranges (esp Dagger Mamba)

Post by ads060384 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Possibly a candidate for most boring topic ever, but how do the weight ranges differ so much between manufactures?

Eg. Pyranha Karnali M: 60 - 110 kg. Range 50kg
Dagger Mamba 8.0: 68 - 98 kg. Range only 30kg.
And I think they're fairly similar types of boats. Pyranha seem to give a much larger weight range and a much larger overlap in weights between sizes of boat.

Basically I'm after a Mamba but weight just over 70kg (and I'm 5'9), so I'm at the extreme of either the 7.5 or the 8.0. Should weight of kit be added on aswel or is that already taken into account. I know I don't really want the 7.5 as I'm after something big and comfy but do I have to admit that I'm just not the right size for a mamba and look for something else, or are Dagger just stingy with there weight in advertising and anything within there is perfect.

Thanks for reading this and any help in this fascinating question.

Cheers,

Ali

dan-gilbert

Re: Weight ranges (esp Dagger Mamba)

Post by dan-gilbert » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:44 pm

You should add on the weight of all your kit aswell which will probably bump you up a lot, and dont forget your sandwiches and tea, but also think if you are planning on having the boat for as long as possible is it likely that in the future will you put on or loose weight? But you might want to demo both because they may handle differently.

Dan

edhunter

Post by edhunter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:49 pm

I'd have thought you were Idealy suited to the 8.0. generaly for creek boats being loewr down the weight range is better than high up (imo). Staying ontop of the water is always a plus. However you do need to demo.

As to why some manufacturers have larger weight ranges than others I have no idea.

ads060384

Post by ads060384 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've had a shot in an 8.0 and it felt quite large, put then thats kind of the idea as I'm trying to get a bigger boat! I'd always thought it might be better to be a bit nearer the middle of the range so might see if I can try something like a LL lil joe or a Diesel which I'm a bit nearer the middle of the weight for.

Anyone paddled a Mamba where they're at the bottom of the weight for? Any joy?

Cheers guys.

edhunter

Post by edhunter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Did you paddle it on flat or on white water? In my experiacne a big boat will feel huge on flat water but when you get it out on the rough stuff it starts to make sence.

BurrsRunner

Post by BurrsRunner » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:31 pm

From my fairly limited experience, I'd recommend being nearer the bottom end of the weight range than the top end if it's a big-volume river runner that you're after.
When I bought my WaveSport Diesel, I had the choice of either the 70 or the 80, being near the top end of the weight range of the 70 and near the bottom of the range for the 80.
I chose the 80 and feel that I made the correct choice, despite being only 5' 7", the size isn't a problem to me as I'm reasonably well built so I can muscle it around when the need arises
but the extra volume is a bonus when the waves get bigger. On flat water my bro can easily keep up with me in his Pyranha Inazone 242 but on long(ish) rapids with big (by my standards)
waves, he has to work harder than me just to keep me in sight due to me paddling over some of the waves that he has to paddle through. Obviously the Inazone is much pointier in the
bow so it's not quite like comparing a Diesel 70 to a Diesel 80, or a Mamba 7.5 to a Mamba 8.0, but it does go to show how much difference volume makes. The less volume you have in
relation to your weight, the lower in the water you'll ride and, therefore, the more waves you'll have to punch through.

eeonz

Post by eeonz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:30 am

I'm just at the bottom of the weight limit for the mamba 8.0, middle of the weight range for the 7.5 - so i bought the 8.0. It's fine and handles nicely, but needs the seat fully forwards. It was a little short on the leg room though.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Saint Matt

Post by Saint Matt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 am

I'm about your height (I'm 5'10") and about your weight (about 75kg with my kit on + a bit more if you include throwline, rescue kit etc) and I paddle a mamba 8.0. I find it just fine. I find I have plenty of space for kit in it without it becoming heavy feeling, but at the same time I don't ever feel like I'm sitting in a bathtube so it always feels snappy and responsive. Anyway, if you've decided it's a mamba you want, then I'm pretty certain that the 8.0 will be the size you want.

Hope that helps some.

Matt

ads060384

Post by ads060384 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I've found a place where I can try a Mamba 8.0 and a Lil Joe and could also take along a friends Diesel 65, so should be able to find what suits. Still think the weight ranges given are a bit confusing at times, I suppose that's why you need to try them out!

Ali

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”