Canoe England on Facebook

Inland paddling
Mark R

Canoe England on Facebook

Post by Mark R »

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/canoeengland?v=wall

Hi there - I'm impressed that Canoe England are opening up new channels of communication through using Facebook.

Can you please point me to a weblink or document which clearly and succinctly outlines Canoe England's policy on access to our rivers? There is huge confusion about this at the moment.

I am interested to know...

- Does Canoe England consider paddling rivers to be legal or not?

- What is Canoe England's stance on Access 'Agreements'? - your previous Head of Access (Andy Green) declared Access 'Agreements' to be 'dead', is this still the position or not?

- Who is in charge of formulating Access policy now Andy Green has gone? What is their plan to secure a legally enshrined right of responsible Access to our rivers, as with Scotland?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark Rainsley
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MattBibbings

Re: Canoe England on Facebook

Post by MattBibbings »

Ha ha. Nice one Mark! (Pulls up a chair....)

lou

Post by lou »

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Well, to be honest I'm embarrassed that I don't know the answers to these questions; I, of all people, should know.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Wonder how long they can ignore you on there!?!

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

Mark R wrote:Well, to be honest I'm embarrassed that I don't know the answers to these questions; I, of all people, should know.

Why? CE don't particularly know so why should anyone else?

Strad

Post by Strad »

well put Mark, interested to see if a response appears.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

nick 16

Post by nick 16 »

Mark, Ive commented on your post also saying I'd like to know their stance on access.I think many more should do this as a bit of pressure may show CE that people want to know what on earth CE is doing about access. It would be nice to know if the NGB was actively doing something to fight for our interests and contributing to make the countryside a more accessible place for everyone to enjoy.

Regards.

Nick.
Nicholas Ball

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

Canoe England Thank you for all your comments, which have been passed onto the Access team. A response should be posted shortly.

gonzo

Post by gonzo »

HarryWats0n wrote:
Canoe England Thank you for all your comments, which have been passed onto the Access team. A response should be posted shortly.
From facebook:

Canoe England's Policy on Access to Rivers
by Canoe England on Thursday, 03 February 2011 at 12:22

Voluntary Access Arrangements remain a contentious issue, with divided views within canoeing for their retention and abandonment. Canoe England currently takes the view that the responsibility for observing Voluntary Access Arrangements and the interests of canoeing fully rests with the individual.

Within the next few weeks the latest research work from Rev’d Douglas Caffyn is due to be released, publically. In light of the fact that the Canoe England Access team have received an advanced copy, they are due to meet shortly to see whether the work will influence the thinking on Access Policy.

It is planed that there will be a full explanation of the latest work from Rev’d Douglas Caffyn in the next edition of Canoe Focus, In April.

If you wish to contact the Access team please email access@canoe-england.org.uk

Voluntary Access Arrangements were also reviewed in Canoe Focus in October 2010. The article can be read at:http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/news/vo ... and-review

Strad

Post by Strad »

gonzo wrote:
HarryWats0n wrote:
From facebook:

Canoe England's Policy on Access to Rivers
by Canoe England on Thursday, 03 February 2011 at 12:22

Voluntary Access Arrangements remain a contentious issue, with divided views within canoeing for their retention and abandonment. Canoe England currently takes the view that the responsibility for observing Voluntary Access Arrangements and the interests of canoeing fully rests with the individual.

Within the next few weeks the latest research work from Rev’d Douglas Caffyn is due to be released, publically. In light of the fact that the Canoe England Access team have received an advanced copy, they are due to meet shortly to see whether the work will influence the thinking on Access Policy.

It is planed that there will be a full explanation of the latest work from Rev’d Douglas Caffyn in the next edition of Canoe Focus, In April.

If you wish to contact the Access team please email access@canoe-england.org.uk

Voluntary Access Arrangements were also reviewed in Canoe Focus in October 2010. The article can be read at:http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/news/vo ... and-review
so the canoe england position is that at the moment they don't have a position?
Graham Stradling

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

To be fair, they've responded commendably sharpish - and they have acknowledged (reading between the lines) that it's a mess. I honestly expected them to just delete it and stop further posts from the public.

But they haven't answered any questions, of course. I've asked again.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

CE wrote:Voluntary Access Arrangements remain a contentious issue with divided views within canoeing for their retention and abandonment. Canoe England currently takes the view that the responsibility for observing Voluntary Access Arrangements and the interests of canoeing fully rests with the individual.
Why are the phrases "responsibility for observing Voluntary Access Arrangements" and "the interests of canoeing" in the same sentence here unless the author is taking a side on this debate?
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Time warp.

stripper

Post by stripper »

If I launch and land from a public place can I fish from my canoe without attracting fishing fees?
Love this agreement http://www.axevalecc.co.uk/AxeAccess.htm
Clive

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

stripper wrote:If I launch and land from a public place can I fish from my canoe without attracting fishing fees?
Love this agreement http://www.axevalecc.co.uk/AxeAccess.htm
I read that - what's an 'Access Officer'???

The Canoe England FB group acquired c100 new members in 24 hours after I posted up that request. I do hope they get around to answering my questions (they don't strike me as especially outrageous ones, unless I'm missing something?), the Access 'Agreements' one at least.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

They wouldn't answer similar questions in person a few years ago. Me and Eastabrook wound up that Tamsin woman something chronic I think.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

How bizarre - in what way do CE do themselves any favours by not even knowing the basics about their access stance? Confuses the life out of me.

If anyone else wishes to post a polite prompt on the FB group, it wouldn't go amiss - they need reminding to sort this basic and simple issue out.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

CE on Facebook wrote:Voluntary Access Arrangements remain a contentious issue, with divided views within canoeing for their retention and abandonment
My italics.

Not very evenly divided, I would suggest. I haven't personally met a paddler who supports Voluntary Access Agreements since about 15 years ago.

If WCA can say they don't support them, why can't CE? When they were BCU there was an issue about losing funding for elite competition, but since BCU is now nominally separate, it shouldn't matter to CE.

Chris

callwild

Post by callwild »

Canoe England is the English Division of the British Canoe Union (BCU). We support the development of canoeing in England in areas such as participation, coaching and waterways access.
They apparently support the development of waterways access, as a mission statement but then will not state their position.

afraid I can not bring myself to push the `like` canoe england button.
when will facebook give us a `Dislike` button?

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Chris Bolton wrote:If WCA can say they don't support them, why can't CE? When they were BCU there was an issue about losing funding for elite competition, but since BCU is now nominally separate, it shouldn't matter to CE.
If they were to come out and say that they believe Access 'Agreements' are the Path to World Peace and Harmony, I could live with that. But having no declared opinion on them - at the same time that some volunteers within their organisation work for and promote the things, and at the same they supposedly have a 'Rivers Access Campaign' - is utterly bizarre.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

"like"d it just to keep up with this one. I must say I like marks reply to their statement... I shall sit back to watch further developments! :)

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

Tom_Laws wrote:They wouldn't answer similar questions in person a few years ago. Me and Eastabrook wound up that Tamsin woman something chronic I think.
I remember gong to an access rally type of thing a few years ago, and that Tamsin Philips woman was there, I was to be honest, shocked at her lack of interest, or it certainly seemed like her lack of interest in these matters, and her referral when asked, how her response of " lunatic fringe" to sum us up as a membership sub sect ! and almost unimportant aspect of anything to do with CE.
It is statements like these that do not really fill me with confidence or inspiration about CE
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Do you have to click 'Like' in order to be able to post comments?

Strad

Post by Strad »

Adrian Cooper wrote:Do you have to click 'Like' in order to be able to post comments?
You have to 'like' Canoe England to be able to like other peoples comments or to add your own comments.
Graham Stradling

twicezero

Post by twicezero »

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish »

I noticed in Canoe Focus (don't ask why I was reading it) that the BCU have been giving out awards to volunteers. Tellingly one of them for efforts in arranging access agreements. Grrr.

Simon

Nugz

Post by Nugz »

From Canoe England Eastern Region about River Ure access http://paddlesporteast.org
Paddlesport East Canoe England wrote:This new arrangement MUST be adhered to by all groups, or access may be withdrawn permanently and offenders may be censured by Canoe England.
How does one interpret that with regard to Canoe England's recent statement of 'position' on access?

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

CE on Facebook wrote:Canoe England: Thank you for your comments Mark. We will update Canoe England Members on our position on VAA in due course. We have no further comments to make at this time. Please send any further queries directly to our access team at access@canoe-england.org.uk who are better equipped to deal with your queries than our Facebook administrators, who aren't always able to respond to specific enquiries via Facebook. Thank you for your patience.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

The Drowned Fish wrote:I noticed in Canoe Focus (don't ask why I was reading it) that the BCU have been giving out awards to volunteers. Tellingly one of them for efforts in arranging access agreements. Grrr.
One of them was to Adam Box who I think we agree has done some very good work on access even if he was responsible for agreements under the ancient regime.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”