Aquabound Shred Carbon - Comment?

Inland paddling
steveg

Aquabound Shred Carbon - Comment?

Post by steveg »

Does anyone have any experience of these paddles?

I'm looking for reasonably priced lightish paddles (for mostly grade 3 but hoping to progress) and the Aquabound Shred Carbon seems to fit the bill. Especially as you can get one for about 130 quid.
There aren't many reviews around though so I was wondering if anyone out there could comment on performance, quality, durability etc.

http://www.aquabound.com/productType.ph ... er_Paddles

Bod

Re: Aquabound Shred Carbon - Comment?

Post by Bod »

Steve

I have some sea paddles in the same construction (Carbon shaft / ABX carbon plastic blades) as the Shreds. I therefore cannot comment on the blade shape or feel in white water but I can say that the contruction is good, the blades are very durable (probably wear much better than Robson/Werner Fibreglass) and surprisingly light. The paddle over-all seems as stiff as a fibre glass Werner. They are not that common over here but hopefully you will get some other comments. I would conclude that I reckon they are very good for their price point.
John B.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

Hey

I haver used the aquabound paddle on expeditions and I have to say that I was a little upset by the lack of power. Its a robust paddle and thats for sure and quite light but I do think we have better paddles on the market to choose from.

Try the Robson Combat at £113 http://wwc.co.uk/product_view.php?id=438 or go for a trusted Pogo for an extra few quid http://wwc.co.uk/product_view.php?id=390.

Sure people are now going to post BUY WERNER, but have a look around and if possible demo. Think of your paddle as your brakes, drive shaft and engine. You wouldnt have weak parts for your car, you would want the best you could afford - its the same with a paddle. Think of it as an investment.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

BUY WERNER

denchy1

Post by denchy1 »

Dont necessarily buy Werner but a second hand set of "good paddles" will be so much better than some club spec paddles that will still cost 100 ish.
Check out the Private sales section.

steveg

Post by steveg »

Thanks for your advice guys. It didn't take long for the Werner brigade to make an appearance!
I'm a bit dubious about using price as a guide to quality, a couple of weeks ago one of our group snapped the shaft of his AT2 Flexi's and at £400 you would think they'd be indistructable.
So the jury's still out on the Shreds. Apparently Ken Whiting & friends use them throughout his book 'White Water kayaking - The Ultimate Guide' but I'm sure they got paid handsomely to do so!
Any more comments would be apreciated.
Steve.

denchy1

Post by denchy1 »

tbh@£130 you may as well spend the extra 20-30 on Werners. The straight sky pole shaft is bomber, hence you see all the pros with the glass powerhouses as they are stronger than the carbons. Im not a Werner devote any composite bladed paddle will do. When I started paddling last year I picked up some Glass with Carbon/kevlar shaft Double Dutchs for £70 Really good paddles to start with, noticed the difference over club lendels immediately (and there not cheap £120 ish)
Ive now got Bent Glass Werner sidekicks payed £200 for them newh.

harry.

Post by harry. »

I have the Aqua Bound Shred Carbons and they are so good for what they are! the paddles aren't top spec and won't be as good as some paddles, but then again they are relatively cheap. They newest Shreds have an unbelievable shaft, which is great for grip and so stiff, the blades give you more power than you'd expect and will take all the sh*t you can punish them with. For instance I got my first pair about 3 years ago now, and since then ive taken them down several rivers and surfed with them in Portugal (for kayaksurf world championships '09), Spain, Northern Ireland and at home in Kernow, and in the last few months ive been trying my hardest to see how far i can go until i can break them (so i can get new ones ;) ) I have many pics of me surfing here if you're interested in seeing them in action: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... .512599044
If you want a good, strong and cheap paddle then i cant recommend these enough, if you want to spend another few hundred to get a brand paddle, go werner :P

steveg

Post by steveg »

Thanks Harry, it's good to get comments from someone with first hand experience. Most of the reviews I've read are for their sea paddles but reflect your own experiences (as long as you buy a 1 piece).
I'm trying to find somewhere local to the East Midlands who stock them so I can go and have a look. Some great pics by the way!!
Cheers, Steve.

James T

Post by James T »

Lightning paddles are the stuff of legend (in my opinion). I noticed them advertised in Canoe Focus recently, is there a UK importer now? If so could be worth a look. Forget the naff looking fancy dancy blade colours though, red blades and blue shaft, that's where it's at!
James T

denchy1

Post by denchy1 »

They have Lightning paddles in Des Mes although the price aint cheap, over 300 for glass cranks i believe

James T

Post by James T »

Thanks for des mes info - 210GBP for straight glass so comparable price to Werners
James T

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

Try wwc.co.uk for Lightning they import.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

denchy1

Post by denchy1 »

They are effectively Robsons @ A premium, nice bent shaft tho

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

steveg wrote:you would think they'd be indistructable
Nothing is indestructible, given the right (or wrong) circumstances.

The Lightning Paddles available in the UK are made by Robson. Lightning is the USA company, Robson are the European Licensee to make Lightning Paddles. The Construction is the same as Robson Paddles, as they bought the European Rights to the Construction Method about 15 years ago. It is this 'Licensed Blade Shape' of the Lightning Paddles that costs the extra over the 'Normal' Robson Paddles.

ion

Post by ion »

Performance Kayaks wrote:
steveg wrote:you would think they'd be indistructable
Nothing is indestructible, given the right (or wrong) circumstances.

The Lightning Paddles available in the UK are made by Robson. Lightning is the USA company, Robson are the European Licensee to make Lightning Paddles. The Construction is the same as Robson Paddles, as they bought the European Rights to the Construction Method about 15 years ago. It is this 'Licensed Blade Shape' of the Lightning Paddles that costs the extra over the 'Normal' Robson Paddles.
Rich, My (not definitive) understanding is that Robson bought the whole of Lightning, Lee who was a founder of Lightning went on to found Fluid technology afterwards (now sadly gone) whos designs are now manufactured by Accent paddles where Lee is somehow involved in design. Lightning USA is just reimporting Robsons and is part of the Jackson family mafia.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”