New Hydro Schemes on The Inn

Inland paddling
TwoHats

New Hydro Schemes on The Inn

Post by TwoHats »

Anyone else heard anything about this project?
http://www.gemeinschaftskraftwerk-inn.com/index.php
The Inn is already decimated with Hydro Schemes but if I've read this right ( using google translate button) the authorities want to put another small hydro scheme ( see vimeo link ) which will take the bulk of the water from The Swiss border to Prutz effectively killing The Tosens section.

Croft

Re: New Hydro Schemes on The Inn

Post by Croft »

As well as the Finstermunster stretch apparently!
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

Croft wrote:As well as the Finstermunster stretch apparently!
Absolutely criminal if thats allowed to happen.

nick 16

Post by nick 16 »

TwoHats wrote:
Where does the Finstermunster stretch run from and to I've done Tosens and really liked that section even though I was really hungover be a shame if it was to go.
Nicholas Ball

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

It's the first section of the Inn you come to when you cross over into Switzerland.
Very deep gorge and a cracking ( if very intimidating ) paddle.

Simon

Post by Simon »

nick 16 wrote:
TwoHats wrote:
Where does the Finstermunster stretch run from and to I've done Tosens and really liked that section even though I was really hungover be a shame if it was to go.
Shots of the Finstermuntz from way back. A scan of old negatives so sorry about the poor quality.

The run actually crosses the border so take your passports in the boat.

The big rock in first and second picture is the one mentioned in the Rivers of Everest book where one padler (was it Mick Hopkinson) went between it and the vertical rock face. Scary.

The third picture is a big hole a few hundred yards downstream known to Royal Navy paddlers as the Finstermonster.

The gorge is a good but atmospheric and daunting paddle, but the main falls are portageable.

Simon

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

Hi
I am a little unsure here if the new hydro will effect the river Inn. As there are allready numerous dams all the way up the Inn but during the spring summer and Autumn they release all day from 9am and give great water all day. They only shut down at weekends. So i presume this will be the case with the new hydros.

Also there is allready a hydro at the start of the finstermunster section which channels a lot of water underground and this dosnt really effect the gorge.

I will investigate this summer when i go over on 1 of my commercial trips

Cheers Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

Andy H wrote:Hi
I am a little unsure here if the new hydro will effect the river Inn. As there are allready numerous dams all the way up the Inn but during the spring summer and Autumn they release all day from 9am and give great water all day. They only shut down at weekends. So I presume this will be the case with the new hydros.

Also there is allready a hydro at the start of the finstermunster section which channels a lot of water underground and this dosnt really effect the gorge.

I will investigate this summer when I go over on 1 of my commercial trips

Cheers Andy http://www.escapetoadventure.com
Hi Andy.
Yes you're right in what you say about some of the hydro projects already on the Inn, that they release and regulate water levels on some sections. However this new scheme appears to divert most of the water into a pipe and underground away from the river at Schlin ( I think ) on the swiss border coming back into the river at Prutz. This would leave Tosens section with little more than a compensation flow in it.
The existing hydro schemes don't release much at weekends or evenings, when the call for electricity is reduced, and some sections , Landeck Gorge for example, are at a very low level all weekend and only really worthwhile during the week except for periods of heavy rain when the Swiss have a lot of water they don't need.
I've been on a couple of occasions when there has been a small snow pack and therefore water was at a premium and The Swiss held as much water back as they could so Tosens, Inn Shute, Landeck Gorge etc were all very low all week.
This type of small hydro scheme is the type that keeps the Martina section of The Swiss Inn almost totally dry for much of the time.
I find it very worrying and I'm sure I'm not the only one. The Inn valley has a special place in my heart as a paddling destination.

Croft

Post by Croft »

There is indeed a solid rumour going around in Switzerland that the powerstation at Martina is being upgraded and will shortly be letting only minimal flows into the Finstermunz sector (and on downstream from there) - however I have not been able to find anything on-line to confirm this.

Croft

Re: Bad news for Finstermunz and Tosens

Post by Croft »

Just received this update in email from Lukas Barth, Kayak and Canoe School Scuol, Outdoor Engadin Inc.

Hi Ian

Yes, unfortunately it is true! The Austrians will build a new power station and an artificial lake beneath Martina, right where the first nice rapids are. They sell it as an ecological thing but there will probably not be enough water left for paddling for most of the year: Probably around 10m3/s. That is the whole Oberinntal from Martina passing the Tösens-section down to the Lake at Ried will be like the Martina-section around late summer/autumn.

More Information on: http://innstimmig.in.ohost.de/index.html

See also: http://www.gemeinschaftskraftwerk-inn.c ... eibung.php

Start of construction: 2012

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

Thats absolutely terrible news Ian.
Is it too late to start petitioning local government or councils?
These are two absolutely class stretches of river that will be left dry and unrunnable for most of the year.
It must mean a massive loss of revenue to the local communitites and rafting operations?

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

It will be such a shame if this section of the Inn is lost which looks like it will be. If works starts in 2012 then this may be the last year to do the famous fundermunster gorge and Tosens section which has gave paddlers such pleasure and tales to talk to there grandkids about .

I will have 1 more season enjoying these sections this year but will paddle with a sad heart knowing they may be no more in the following year

Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Croft

Re: Here is the extent of the carnage

Post by Croft »

Looks like the reservoir will be right in the nomansland which is the Finstermunz:

Rob Hind

Post by Rob Hind »

Yep, its all true........Finztermonster and Tösens sections will be dry in 5 years! Protests where made here in Pfunds, but all fell on deaf ears. Enjoy the Inn whilst you can.

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

Absolutely devestated.
That is so short sighted of the local councils or government.
It will have a massive impact on the tourism in the area I'm sure.

chrishart

Post by chrishart »

Crazy - really need to get back as Finstermunster is the only section I have not done - think an Inn trip may be in order!
The wetter the better!

EdC

Post by EdC »

Simon wrote:
The big rock in first and second picture is the one mentioned in the Rivers of Everest book where one padler (was it Mick Hopkinson) went between it and the vertical rock face. Scary.

The third picture is a big hole a few hundred yards downstream known to Royal Navy paddlers as the Finstermonster.

Simon

The big bolder has had a few people under it!! (Mick and at least one other in my personal knowledge)

That stopper is also known as the FunnyMonster (for those who can't pronounce the actual name - which is the name of the chapel down there and which I won't attempt to spell without looking it up!)

Agree with all that this is dreadful news. Although as I am getting close to retiring from paddling, I guess I for one have done OK out of this cracking paddle with many descents over the 35+ years since my first run down Tosens in glass slalom boats. And since the surf weirs towards the end no longer seem to run and the waves don't seem as big, it's not like it was in the good old days...... :-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”