Oirish touring

Inland paddling
Mark R

Oirish touring

Post by Mark R » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 pm

New guidebook...I haven't seen it yet, but love the cover shot...

http://www.pesdapress.com/Water-Guidebo ... _info.html

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Re: Oirish touring

Post by Mark R » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Now read a copy. Random thoughts follow...

- Very inspiring, makes me a] want to visit Ireland again and b] want to try kayak/ canoe touring again, something I haven't done for years
- Trips look gorgeous, seemingly with great rural scenery and historical ruins everywhere. Lots of mixed tours - lake-river-lake sort of thing. Reminds me of some touring I did in Poland years back, not that this has anything to do with anything.
- They admit they've failed to clarify the Access situation in the Republic, but intriguingly they refer to an 'active campaign' for Access in England. Anyone know of this?
- Some sea trips included (I've actually done some of these) with appropriate advice.
- A section on the Liffey Descent, presumably those entering will want to read this.
- Great design and production, with lovely maps (from the Irish OS?). Pesda's books look much better than paddlers deserve.
- Photos are high quality (lots of stock shots) and varied in style, good.
- Was well impressed with the cover shot until I realised the paddler had been Photoshopped in, tut tut.
- Is the author the same Eddie Palmer who once wrote a hilarious reactionary rant to 'Canoeist' mag railing against the, "Guidebook waving hordes from the south" invading his local rivers? I think we should be told.
- Book frequently references 'In Irish Waterways', reminding me what a lovely little book that is - http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... f=3&t=9433

Conclusion - definitely worth a look if you think that inland touring is not for you, prepare to be intrigued; Ireland seems to be blessed with perfect conditions for a bit of stress-free exploring. Those already into canoe/ kayak touring will need no encouragement to get this lovely guide.

http://www.pesdapress.com/product_info. ... anner_id=9
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Mark R wrote: - Is the author the same Eddie Palmer who once wrote a hilarious reactionary rant to 'Canoeist' mag railing against the, "Guidebook waving hordes from the south" invading his local rivers? I think we should be told.
Maybe the same Eddie Palmer who wrote the Scottish Canoe Touring guidebook; an encouragement to the hordes from the south to invade his local rivers. :-)

Woods

Post by Woods » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Was well impressed with the cover shot until I realised the paddler had been Photoshopped in, tut tut.
In my defence, I left the cover shot cut and shut obvious enough for those who know what to look for. And in Tony's defence for accepting my abuse of his photos, both images used on the cover were from the same series of photos.

Pete

Franco Ferrero

Post by Franco Ferrero » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Glad you like it. I've sent the link to Eddie. I don't know if it was him who wrote the rant so I'll be interested to see if he replies!
Franco
Franco Ferrero
www.pesdapress.com

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Woods wrote:
Was well impressed with the cover shot until I realised the paddler had been Photoshopped in, tut tut.
In my defence, I left the cover shot cut and shut obvious enough for those who know what to look for. And in Tony's defence for accepting my abuse of his photos, both images used on the cover were from the same series of photos.

Pete
Pete, I only spotted it because the same photo is used later in the book ... only the paddler is mysteriously absent ...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Franco Ferrero wrote:Glad you like it. I've sent the link to Eddie. I don't know if it was him who wrote the rant so I'll be interested to see if he replies!
Franco
It was famous enough at the time for Foxy to make a cartoon about it.

BTW on the subject of Photoshopping cover photos ... the cover of 'South West Sea Kayaking' may or may not have had a distracting fishing buoy removed by me...

;-)
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Eddie Palmer

Post by Eddie Palmer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 am

Hi - nice to hear comments about the new book - my main memories of the last three years (apart from some lovely paddling) is endless driving across Ireland - I or we seemed to be always passing through Enniskillen or Tullamore etc. I can guarantee that all the other photos are as they were taken!
I am also left with loads of 'rain' photos, i.e. genuine canoeing photos, but all with rain in them/on them. As you all probably know, Franco does not like rain - not allowed in his books! They all seem to be from either Mayo or Connemara.
As regards the comment linked with myself (re. guidebooks), no, I don't think it has been me when living in Scotland, and I have been here for 15 years now. As you quite rightly say, Scotland needs tourists!
Watch out for Tay Descent information inl ate February/early March

Eddie

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Mark R wrote:They admit they've failed to clarify the Access situation in the Republic,
My experience since living in Ireland is that access is pretty much like England/Wales 10+ years ago on some rivers. In places paddling is closed from March to October and fisherfolk decide as and when people can paddle.

Difference is there are far fewer paddlers and fewer fisherfolk so many rivers have no agreements and just get paddled.

With the exception of two local rivers if there's water I've always just gone paddling with only one instance of a baliff blocking us from getting on a river because people had paid to fish.

So to be fair I think it's a case of not rocking the boat generally. Ireland is very money focused, much more than the UK, so if it came down to it I'm sure the fisherfolk would win the argument if anyone tested it.

Eddie Palmer

Post by Eddie Palmer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 am

Hi

My only comment is that just leaving it WON'T improve anything - if we had not gained SOAC in Scotland, by now we would have been kept off some major salmon rivers. Also, it was strange that the only few bailiffs we met, of whom one was really badly behaved, were all English - what a cheek, trying to keep us off Irish rivers!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”