Inland paddling
Mark R

Your best day on the rivers in 2010?

Post by Mark R » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Words and one image only...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Tuomas

Re: Your best day on the rivers in 2010?

Post by Tuomas » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 pm

1.1.2010 00:00
We went to surf the Nile Special in moon light when the year changed. Water got high enough to surf on to the wave. This was the start for the year 2010. There were some other good days after that for sure, but this was unforgettable experience for sure.

Starkins

Post by Starkins » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Pyranha Fest in October - was first time id hit the tryweryn after only paddling on the little Dee. It was great fun and loads little play features to mess about in! Great Weekend!

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:51 pm

My Alpine Dream, the Soana near Torino, is probably a contender for the best river in all the Alps, kilometre after kilometre of boulder garden boofin' with the occasional bedrock feature to get fired up about. There is so much action, you can split the run into two sections, with the upper half, being steeper still and having more tight action.

On a day in late May, the Soana was running at a great level. Once down passed the main portage, a steep boulder garden rapid, that normally has a chicken line only route, as the main line was guarded with a little ugly boulder, had changed in 2010 to bring the line into pure perfection. So I fired her up, rode the curlier and boofin out into the pool, a golden day in my golden 2010 outfit, thankfully 2011 has a green addition.

NicM

Post by NicM » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Best day would be one of the first sundays of September. 9am meet up at Sainsbury's, round to the boat shed to pick out a boat/paddle and deck then off up to Stanley to play on the Tay.

All of that sounds dull/normal to many paddler's but it was my first river trip in 10 year's, 1st time in a boat in 5 years since i did a 2 hour session at the tees barage.Damn it felt so good to be back on a river I was beaming with joy for days after even more so as I managed to successfully role at campsie linn when i stuffed up a break in after being on the water 10 minute's.

Since then no holding me back, and looking forward to ticking of many new river's and hopefully an old favorite in 2011.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:43 pm

It would be so easy to go for the Thuli Bheri (which was actually quite good) but this day in March 2010 springs to mind...

This was the last of three runs down the upper Dart that day. On the first run, the river had been a few feet higher.

Frankly, I was terrified, as...

- I hadn't paddled at all since early December 2009, due to a broken shoulder.
- I had no idea if my shoulder would work on this day.
- The planned Nepal expedition hinged upon my ability to paddle (or not) on this day.
- My last experience of the upper Dart in high water hadn't been a particularly positive one.

But all was good. It's the Dart, I shouldn't have expected anything different.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Mark, I think I would agree with you there.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:12 pm

kevinf wrote:Mark, I think I would agree with you there.
In which case Kevin, you need a picture from that day...

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:13 pm

That reminds me can I choose Green Ginger instead of a river?

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:38 pm

A couple of 3 Step summer runs on the Dart stand out for me - i mean itally and Swiss were good - but they don't match a big water dart for getting it all pumping.
White water "rider"

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:47 pm

My best river day was paddling below Brecon with the end of autumn cascading its majestic beauty over the mountains and the Usk river valley. It was a day when all different species were circling overhead or foraging the banks. An entire flock of geese, having flown from another continent over oceans landed at arms reach, ignored us as we swept through their ranks on the river bend. As the sun caught the hillside a wand of colour sprayed in an arc of gold over the trees. The stage was packed to the rafters, all actors giving their finest hour, the auditorium had just a handful of seats, and each was the best in the house. Bravo!

After a day on the river like that, the apreskayak was always going to be a little flat.

Gupster

Post by Gupster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Suffered a bit from "the fear" this year, so best days have been few and far between. A lack of paddling opportunities and a relative increase in swimming had/has twisted my melons somewhat. I especially suffered on my return to Norway this year. However with some coaching from Nick Horwood of Gene 17, and others, I was able to start to get back to enjoying my paddling again, the highlight being a day on the Upper Rauma and some nearby slides.

c.blyth

Post by c.blyth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:49 pm

My first Glen run of 2010, little did I know it would be my last due to the disappearance of water nearly every weekend!

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Rissbach and Loisach (twice) followed by the best steak house I've ever had the pleasure to eat in. Oh, and a visit to hospital, but that didn't detract from the day to much:
http://thedrownedfish.co.uk/2010/08/30/ ... herd-tour/

Mark R wrote:It would be so easy to go for the Thuli Bheri (which was actually quite good) but this day in March 2010 springs to mind...

[Rather good picture]

This was the last of three runs down the upper Dart that day. On the first run, the river had been a few feet higher.

Frankly, I was terrified, as...

- I hadn't paddled at all since early December 2009, due to a broken shoulder.
- I had no idea if my shoulder would work on this day.
- The planned Nepal expedition hinged upon my ability to paddle (or not) on this day.
- My last experience of the upper Dart in high water hadn't been a particularly positive one.

But all was good. It's the Dart, I shouldn't have expected anything different.
This incidently was the one day's paddling irritated me more than any this year.

Cheers
Simon

Nugz

Post by Nugz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Tard Luang, Thailand. Last day on water before waking up next day with dengue fever and having 2 weeks unable to move!

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Meig Gorge back in April. It may have taken us 6 hours for 1 mile of river, but it was an amazing day out.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Not so exotic but a first for me and a full on smile on completion, Briancon Gorge and we had a mini-epic with a good outcome.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:00 pm

My first trip to the Morriston last May (I think, could have been June). Gotta be one of the most fun 500 metre sections of river anywhere!

Dwarf

Post by Dwarf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:25 pm

It's been a good year on the water for me, with quite a high volume of trips compared to the last few years. Been to some really great events and met lots of new friends but the highlight for me was two weeks in Norway in July, and in particular the Upper Rauma.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Colwyn/Aberglaslyn Combo in a high November. Always a cracker.

cripper

Post by cripper » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 pm

2weeks in norway, a different river almost every day. put possibly the best was the Store Ula in glorious sunshine after running the Amot Gorge. Woke up late after a lie-in, got donated some bacon for breakfast by a chap at the campsite who took pity on 5 hungry student boaters, paddled the Amot in good high flows, then went on to the Ula, got on at 6.30/7pm, spent hours on the slides with MASSIVE grins, then went down and 2 of us ran the first 3 waterfalls at 11pm to round the day off, followed by a torilla wrap with peanut butter to celebrate an awesome day!
Thumbs up all round really!

Hear no rain.
See no rain.
Pray for rain

LJF

Post by LJF » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:04 pm

After a midnight visitation from the local boar, jumping on the Ayasse in fun levels.

smokey

Post by smokey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:25 pm

In Leeds, deciding sat in the living room bored with best mate to go paddling in North Wales for a weekend at 7pm Friday. Arriving in time for last orders; sleeping in Betws-y-Coed Public car Park; and paddling (with people met at get-ins) the Ogwen and Fairy Glen in a leaky M3 and Jefe with a 50cm split down the hull sponging out between rapids (companions wondering what these "absolute blaggers" were up to?).

A weekend of impromptu student paddling, poor preparation and sub-optimal kit - but one hell of a day on the rivers :-)

Not the best photo - we left the camera in the car... :-/ but it does show our "shuttle" next to the telegraph pole in the background

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 pm

The grade 4 rapid on the Lower Nevis. We scouted it ourselves and I was the only one of the kids who reckoned it was doable :D
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:59 am

The Gyr, late afternoon on a baking hot day, about a foot higher than I had paddled it before. Followed by beers at the Bar Alphand at the finish to try and quell the adrenaline shakes!

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:28 am

My first trip down the Tawe (Jan) was an amazing day on the river.
Some of our Alps rivers in July were fantastic: staying upright on the lower Guisane really sticks out!

But for one memory that sums up the reasons I paddle it has to be the local (and Humble) Ogmore again! My best padding buddy and I got on and levels were great I'd just bought the Jackson Fun and was dying to get it wet. We played all the way down, messing about on even the tiniest of features.
Huge smiles at the end and both knackered! Classic no pressure peer paddling. I don't have any pictures of the day but it's all in the memory banks sunshine and all!

It's not always about the adranaline rush!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:56 am

Gorge de la Vezere
Slime’s guide suggested this was only suitable for kayaks but we were looking for a river for my mate and me whilst our wives recovered from the drive down. They sat in the field by the river reading in the sun whilst we got on. In canoes it was an absolutely cracking river, with a reasonable dam release which was switched off the following day.

NickH

Post by NickH » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Would have to be one of the beautiful sunny days in Italy in May, With Simon, Matt Luke and an assortment of other heroes.

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Nothing exciting, but my first trip on my new kayak on the River Hamble
Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

Westy

Post by Westy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Ken wrote:The Gyr, late afternoon on a baking hot day, about a foot higher than I had paddled it before. Followed by beers at the Bar Alphand at the finish to try and quell the adrenaline shakes!
Same here for me. On the first day of our trip late afternoon, same week as you, my first run down the Gyr followed by a beer at the bar at the get-out. Lots of good days that week, including first run of Chateau Q, first run down the Lower Guisane since my only other run when I didn't know what I didn't know, and first run of some of the Middle Guil. Been lots of other good days this year as well, including first run of the Upper Dart again since my only other run when I didn't know what I didn't know! That was my last time on the water, back in mid-November. Opportunities looking limited over the next 2-3 months, so hope I can get back up to speed before next year's Alps trip!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”