Fairy Glen Video

Inland paddling
cucc2stu

Fairy Glen Video

Post by cucc2stu »

I've just put together some go pro footage from the fairy glen at the beginning of November.

Video can be found here: http://stuartmartindale.co.uk/2010/11/fairy-glen/

8am on a November morning in a gorge (even a sunny one) isn't the go-pros favourite domain, but it is just about watchable. Generally I think the go pro is mostly going to be kept for extra footage, but there wasn't time to get my real camera out either morning. Which is a real shame as the colours and light were awesome.

Also gives me a chance to plug my revamped website, http://stuartmartindale.co.uk which has all the worthwhile paddling videos I've put together over the last 5 years (and a few that aren't so worthwhile!)
Stuart

buck197

Re: Fairy Glen Video

Post by buck197 »

Nice one and why does it look so easy as an armchair boater!!!
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

mileshill540

Post by mileshill540 »

Nice vid! its pretty hard to film in there, we did our best, i think if you put 'fairy glen' into viemo or whatever that video site is it comes up with Broadley's vid.

Good work!
because we can.

slaughter950

Post by slaughter950 »

Sweet film man!
Adam Slaughter.

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

Really nice video, presume its filmed on an hd hero?

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Forgot how good the Glen is...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Mark R wrote:Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Forgot how good the Glen is...

It's new and improved thanks to the last couple of years' of flooding. Monkey drop now twice the height, Henry Moore much steeper, and (as Banzer nearly discovered....) End of t' World is a bit different!

Really great video. Head-cam but not boring head cam! Good work Stu!
Last edited by Tom_Laws on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowri Davies

Post by Lowri Davies »

Great video Stu.

I don't think anyone will want to be running the Glen at the mo… Beaver Pool is frozen over with 3 inches of snow on top!

cucc2stu

Post by cucc2stu »

HarryWats0n wrote:Really nice video, presume its filmed on an hd hero?
Yep, just the one stuck on my head. Footage is from two runs (hence the different lighting / levels in the changes of direction).

I really like the versatility of the go pro. I really hate the fact that quality is so low.

Incidentally, as the subject of music and copyright has come up a few times, I've been getting music from here http://freemusicarchive.org/
and here http://ccmixter.org/ recently. Plenty of good stuff for putting with your weekend footage in return for a credit and a link. There are other similar sites too.

Thanks for the positive comments!
Stuart

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Nailed the line on Biker Boy. Top stuff, enjoyed the vid and some of the others you've got on your website too.

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

MMM that's a great level - i wonder if it was the same sunny early nov sat that Banz and i got down at. Love the boof on biker - i think it's my fav move on the river.
White water "rider"

b-doc1

Post by b-doc1 »

During this time of a total lack of liquid water i find myself watching back to back kayaking films to pass the time and i have found yours to be very enjoyable. Your different approach to the majority of kayaking films is very refreshing. Good work!

James T

Post by James T »

Loving the footage @ 2 mins... very well planned.
James T

cucc2stu

Post by cucc2stu »

Thanks! We were thinking of running it closer together to get better footage, but in the end we both left slightly more sensible gaps...
Stuart

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

Only the other day I was thinking someone must GoPro the Glen. Its definately on my to do list and your video has just pushed it closer to the top.
I really hate the fact that quality is so low
You really think that? I think its good quality and better than most camera out there at that price.

cucc2stu

Post by cucc2stu »

It's not bad for the price, but I would happily pay twice as much not to have the low bit rate and smudged backgrounds. Unfortunately there isn't much that you can pay more for and get better quality (without reaching into the multiple thousands). I will have a careful look at footage from the new VIO hd cam which has just come out but it appears to suffer from a lot of the same issues.

I'm not saying it isn't a great little package, and amazing for the money (I wouldn't have bought one if I could find a better and affordable alternative). I just wish it gave a little more.
Stuart

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin »

Nice! It's really good to see a river that I have never paddled (and never will!).

I had a look at the other videos on your site as well. Particularly likes your Tryweryn testing vid, probably because I know that river.

I don't think the quality is bad at all.
Cheers

Adrian J Pullin
-------------------------------------------------------
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Kayak lore: "He who capsizes must also roll".

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Stu - I've got the VIO POV 1.5 - a great reliable unit that (I think) is a lot less hit and miss than the Go-Pro. The head unit is tiny so you can put it pretty much anywhere, and use the remote to start/stop recording. Quality is comparable to Go-Pro and low light performance is excellent. Pretty happy with it, watching out for an HD...

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

Tom_Laws wrote: Really great video. Head-cam but not boring head cam! Good work Stu!
I generally find head cam footage really really dull, but fair play, I thought this was an excellent bit of footage.

I'm inspired to get out paddling regardless of the ice rink I'm looking at out of the office window!!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”