Uganda jabs

Inland paddling
aria230

Uganda jabs

Post by aria230 »

Hi all, I'm trying desperatly to get out to Uganda this xmas and my parents are getting closer to letting me go. How long do you need to get the jabs before you go out and how much do they cost? Any shortcuts?

Cheers
Chris

KenHy

Re: Uganda jabs

Post by KenHy »

I can't remember the exact cost ( think it was something around €300). You need to give yourself 3-4 weeks minimum.

MikeShaw

Post by MikeShaw »

Hi,

I am having all mine done at the moment and so far have had Typhoid and Hepatitis B which is a course of 3 injections, the second one is done a week after the first and the third one is done 2 weeks after the second.

The other injections I have already had from previous trips abroad, apart from yellow fever but my doctors surgery doesn't do it so I have to go elsewhere. I have yet to book but it should cost are £50. All the other injections are free on the NHS.

Cheers!
Mike.

PS. Here's a useful link,

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinati ... uganda.php

Find the River

Post by Find the River »

aria230 wrote:Hi all, I'm trying desperatly to get out to Uganda this xmas and my parents are getting closer to letting me go. How long do you need to get the jabs before you go out and how much do they cost? Any shortcuts?

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris

Go and book an appointment at your GP's even if you have no firm plans yet. The important one is the yellow fever vaccination as this is a legal requirement for travel into Uganda (you get a certificate that is needed for travel). If I recall correctly this must be done at least ten days in advance. You may need some others and the problem is some vaccinations are "live" and cannot be done together. Hence its best to get started as soon as possible. But it all depends on what you have already have and what you need.

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

Not sure Yellow Fever IS a legal requirment to travel to Uganda. It is recommended, but I think it's your call.

Best visit your GP as you can get the typhoid, hep A & B, etc on the NHS.

Yellow fever cost something like £50

Then you have maleria tablets - that cost me £10 for a private prescription for Malerone (Malerone wasn't available for NHS prescription) and then about £2.10 per tablet (you need to take it 2 days before, every day you are there and 1 week after you get back, so for a 10 day trip it was 19 tablets = ~£40). There are cheaper maleria treatments but this one was recommended as the best.
Paul (Un)Stabler

dogger_dave

Post by dogger_dave »

Yellow Fever is and entry requirement for Uganda...cost me £50 in 2009. Also Hep. A/Typhoid is recommended and free so have it.
Laugh now, but one day we'll be in charge...

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

Ok, might be wrong (so as said, best to see a GP) but my understanding is yellow fever is only mandatory if enterring from a yellow fever infected country (which the UK is not).

The link above seems to confirm this.
Paul (Un)Stabler

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

KenHy wrote:I can't remember the exact cost ( think it was something around €300). You need to give yourself 3-4 weeks minimum.
300euro...that'll be Ireland for ya!!! I flew to the UK to get all my jabs, the cost of flights and a weekend in Blighty to get my jabs worked out cheaper than getting them done in Galway.

AnnieC

Post by AnnieC »

Sorry I can't help re: Uganda, but bear in mind some vaccines that only last for one year, will last for ten if you renew them within the 12 months, so can work out cheaper in the long run if you're travelling a lot.

KenHy

Post by KenHy »

steddyjames wrote:
KenHy wrote:I can't remember the exact cost ( think it was something around €300). You need to give yourself 3-4 weeks minimum.
300euro...that'll be Ireland for ya!!! I flew to the UK to get all my jabs, the cost of flights and a weekend in Blighty to get my jabs worked out cheaper than getting them done in Galway.
I'm surprised at that, surely the UK goverment doesn't supsidise vacinations for non-brits?

garya

Post by garya »

These Guys are great and offer a walk in service at there stores as well as lot' s of advice and sterile kits as well as nets and replants. I have used them before

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/

The main thing is to look at what vacinations you need and get them soon, some have to be taken as a course of three injections of a set period to get full protection. Anti-malarial drugs may need to be taken a couple of weeks before you go so the sooner you get this done the better.

I have not been to Uganda (not getting caught out with that one like some others.. ;-) ) But have been overseas to malarial areas a lot.. it is a real PITA but it is far more worring if you do it all at the last minute and then the packet of tablets tells you you need a couple of weeks to build up full immunity.

Seek professional medical advice directly from qualified specalists ASAP so you can make plans... p.s. your GP may not be as right up to date with tropical medicine on a daily basis as thay are say with pre-natal care. That's not ment to run down GP's who do a great job just they are over worked and may not have touched this subject for a while. It is worth contacting the practice so they can record your vaccinations on your records in case they need them.

Gary A

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

KenHy wrote:
steddyjames wrote:
I'm surprised at that, surely the UK goverment doesn't supsidise vacinations for non-brits?
Luckily I'm a dodgy Brit living in IMFland, taking your waves and stealing your whitewater...mwhahahahahahahahaaha, oh and one of your women and a job!

aria230

Post by aria230 »

Hi all, thanks for your advice. Filled in a form with my GP today. They're not sure if i've got time but will get back to me by wednesday :D

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings »

Ok, I'm sure the Nurse at your clinic will tell you all you need to know, but here is my experience. I'm flying out to sunny Uganda on the 16th Dec. Total score is 3 injections in 2 days and £45 and i'm good to go for this trip.

Just been to the Nurse at my normal clinic and got Diptheria, Tetanus, Hep A, Typhoid and Polio in 2 jabs. Off to see the other clinic in town tomorrow night for my Yellow Fever jab (£45) and thats job done. Boosters if I want them for the first five within 6 months to 3 years (depending on the disese).

Hope your parents let you go! Maybe even see you there (Red Necky Vibe).

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

For outdoor activities you should definitely consider rabies jabs. These take a while since thay are given at 0, 7 and 28 days.

Whilst out there it is worth picking up medicines for malaria or waterborne parasites should you contract either of these. You can get veryy ill very quickly if you don't have medicines immediately to hand.

My son was back for about a fortnight when he realised he was going down with malaria. Fortunately he had the medicines at home so he drove back on the Saturday, took the tabs and went to the GP on Monday morning. The GP knew little about it but was very quick to organise loads of tests which confirmed he had malaria but his quick action had probably saved him a severe illness.

A quick trawl round the net will give you a long list of nasty diseases which you should be aware of, some of which you can innoculate against.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”